any 'characters' in the store with a luxus ready skin shader? applied with in DS?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited February 2014 in The Commons

would luv to see FW Diana under expert lux guru

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

oh wow :) thanks

is Reality the same as Luxus?

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 1969

oh wow :) thanks

is Reality the same as Luxus?

From what I understand they are both pretty much the same except for the ui and I think Luxus gives you access to some more things.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,653
    edited December 1969

Sorel said:

Looks nice, but hard to justify that price for a character set.

Luxus has access to more luxrender native shaders and is integrated into DS, but the new Reality for DS (out soon) will give you all that and then some from my understanding.

I use Reality with DS and poser most of the time and skin isn't that hard to do, just make sure whatever texture you are using for skin, hair or clothing doesn't have baked in AO or shadows.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The existing DS version of Reality currently lacks support for homogeneous volumes, cloth materials and both mixes and the new layered materials. Luxus supports cloth and homogeneous volumes natively, and mix and layered materials via the 'extra' settings box if you're Luxrender savvy, technically making it future-proof.

Luxus is integrated into Daz Studio, meaning you can save presets and apply them as you would do for any other material. It also means that you can access all of the surfaces via the Surfaces tab as normal, and use the surface selection tool to select areas on objects.

Reality lacks this integration and cannot save presets in the same manner. Instead it saves them as something called 'ACSEL' which can be automatically applied to a particular figure or model whenever it is used in a scene. It also has access to a database of user-made ACSEL shaders which you can choose to use instead, but you do need to download the shader beforehand through the Reality interface.

Additionally, because Reality runs in a window separate to Daz Studio, the surface selection tool cannot be used in the same way. While Reality will remember a surface which is selected before you open the Reality window, any further uses of the surface selection tool are not reflected in the Reality selection. As a result, it can occasionally be difficult to figure out which surface is what part of a model as you have no visual reference. Instead, surfaces are listed by name and can be grouped by the object they belong to.

In terms of automatic conversions, they both differ quite widely. Luxus works very well on inorganic materials, but not as well as Reality on skin textures. Reality tends to lean towards glossy materials for everything, and the specularity is usually very high by default leading to exceptionally shiny surfaces and often washed-out textures without manual intervention. It also has a strange tendency to turn Daz metallics into matte materials.

Luxus is currently the cheaper of the two options, but it has a steeper learning curve. If you're experimenting you might find Reality easier to work with. For the power user, I'd recommend Luxus.

edited December 1969

thanks. :)

so, when it says 'reality ready' - 'Reality Shaders (.RSF)'

will i be able to apply it inside ds with the Luxus plugin?

i d/l the Eluxir, but haven't tried it yet

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

thanks. :)

so, when it says 'reality ready' - 'Reality Shaders (.RSF)'

will i be able to apply it inside ds with the Luxus plugin?

i d/l the Eluxir, but haven't tried it yet

I would like to know this as well.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As far as I know...no, Luxus is speaking English and Reality is speaking Latin when it comes to shaders...they don't quite understand each other's language, so they aren't any more 'compatible' than 3DL (standard DS) shaders are...

edited December 1969

my m6 is rendering orange-ish. what can i do?

untitled1.jpg
    549 x 417 - 68K
    edited December 1969

thanks Kerya :)

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Actually, when I edit Luxus surfaces and then open Reality, Reality seems to pick some of it up.

Doesn't change the fact that both are mostly incompatible and you won't be able to use saved Reality presets like the ones that come with Persephone for Luxus.

In fact, when working with either LuxRender plugin, you might as well forget the word 'preset' as far as buying new content is concerned. Those plugins rely heavily on the user editing the materials.