Can't find recent DIM download in Carrara

I just downloaded Day Bed (https://www.daz3d.com/day-bed_wee_dangerous_john) using DIM to use in Carrara 8.5 Pro on my Windows 10 PC but I have no idea how to find it in the program content tab.

Is it compatible with Carrara? How do I know before I bother downloading it? Why is it so much trouble acquiring and finding models for Carrara?

Any help or tips is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Did you try the smart content tab?  I just downloaded and installed Day Bed via DIM.  Looked in smart content, it was there, and works perfectly, like most Daz products do in Carrara.

How did you set up your DIM path to Carrara?

To find where the Day Bed file is at right now, you can go into DIM, click on the installed files tab, scroll down to Day Bed, left click to select it, then right click on it and slide down to "show installed files" to see the full install path.

Day Bed in Smart Content.JPG
    1838 x 1121 - 280K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • you need add DAZ studio directories to your content folder as well as Poser runtime

• HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63

Thanks for your quick response.

I didn't think to look in Smart Content but below is the message I got when I did. Also, I included a screenshot of the Day Bed installed location. I'm not experienced in setting the file locations and such. How do I do what you instructed and where? And, get the Smart Content connected to Carrara?

imageimage

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2019

some such as Unified brain can get smart content to work, others like me cannot even use it in DAZ studio - well not for long

my PC which was new this year obviously has something on it that corrupts PostGreSql databases

I use my content folder

that is not it but a DAZ studio library file I created for my Pitcher plant freebie to show what you add

Untitled.jpg
    794 x 640 - 90K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeavyD said:

Thanks for your quick response.

I didn't think to look in Smart Content but below is the message I got when I did. Also, I included a screenshot of the Day Bed installed location. I'm not experienced in setting the file locations and such. How do I do what you instructed and where? And, get the Smart Content connected to Carrara?

imageimage

Sorry, the images you posted were too small to read.

Is the Day Bed product currently available to you in Daz Studio?  I'd check on that first.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

@HeavyD Once you follow Wendy's plan fro adding your Daz3d library to the Content tab, you'll find it in a normal Daz Studio library listing.

To find out exactly where, I use DIM.

1. Find the product in "Installed" tab
    2. Right-click > Show Installed Files

For finding the main content, ignore Data and Textures, though it's nice that we can find those locations as well!

New to Carrara? You might find some of these Walkthrough  tips helpful ;)

Sorry my images were too small to read.

The message under the Smart Content tab says "The connection to the DAZ Content Manager Service cannot be established. Make sure you have the latest version of DAZ Studio and that the service is running. You will have to restart Carrara to take the changes into account." So, I need to install the most recent version of DAZ Studio but is making sure the service is running self-explanatory? Or easy for someone who is file-structure challenged to figure out?

The other image was showing: Installed Files - Day Bed are under Content (G:/My DAZ 3D Library 2)

How can one tell if a model is Smart Content, if it is compatible with Carrara, if it is a Figure or a Prop, and how it will be labeled in the Content tab?

Thanks for your help.

• I asked you previously if Day Bed is showing up in Daz Studio.  Is it there?  I need to add, do you even have Daz Studio installed?  Carrara shares the Daz Studio product database, and needs to be linked to it.

Like you, I am not an expert in understanding where to move files.  My approach is to first install Daz Studio.  Just follow the prompts.  Then install Carrara using these instructions, which start at step 1 about halfway down the page.  Then make sure Carrara is setup as a pathway in DIM.  Access to the pathways are from the little gear icon on the top right of DIM.

Questions?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2019

The product, day bed, appears in my Smart Content pane in Carrara.  It loads in my Carrara scene.  I installed using DIM, just like my other Daz3D purchases.  There is nothing unusual about it for me.

day bed working in carrara.jpg
    1876 x 1020 - 349K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2019

yes CMS needs DAZ studio to populate the database

the content directory in DS has the ability to import metadata and build your content database which basically starts and runs CMS

when I first installed it all on this new computer my library with over 11K items took over an hour to import metadata in DAZ studio!

I have a lot of stuff

Poser formats don't need DAZ studio installed but duf does

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited December 2019
    HeavyD said:

Sorry my images were too small to read.

The message under the Smart Content tab says "The connection to the DAZ Content Manager Service cannot be established. Make sure you have the latest version of DAZ Studio and that the service is running. You will have to restart Carrara to take the changes into account." So, I need to install the most recent version of DAZ Studio but is making sure the service is running self-explanatory? Or easy for someone who is file-structure challenged to figure out?

The other image was showing: Installed Files - Day Bed are under Content (G:/My DAZ 3D Library 2)

How can one tell if a model is Smart Content, if it is compatible with Carrara, if it is a Figure or a Prop, and how it will be labeled in the Content tab?

Thanks for your help.

You will need the latest version of DIM to use it.

Smart Content - In the DIM pop-up click on the Installed tab, look across the item for a tick, hover your mouse icon over the tick and it will give you a message about smart content.

To tell if it is compatible with Carrara is a case of suck it and see. As a general rule the older content will work but newer content can be iffy. There is a thread for items that don't work. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8916/buy-something-that-doesn-t-work-in-carrara-post-your-questions-and-workarounds-here-please/p1

With earlier Poser format figures if it is labelled as a .cr2 it is a figure, if it is labelled as a .pp2 it is a prop. Newer DAZ items that are a .DUF are harder to tell but I use the general rule that if it has bones it's a figure.

If you follow Dart's advice about looking for installed files in DIM you can get the path that the files are installed to.

Click on Right mouse button on item of interest

DIM Smart Content 1.png
    772 x 1031 - 264K
    DIM Installed Files 1.png
    689 x 1029 - 98K
    DIM Installed Files 2.png
    685 x 1037 - 60K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

I have DS 4.12 installed and DIM 1.2.0.52 (64-bit).

At the risk of revealing myself to be completely inept, how do I insert images large enough to read?

When I opened DS, I got a message about "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established." Is my anti-virus or firewall blocking it? What setting do I need to check and change to correct this?

I use that "Show Installed Files" all the time to get immediate access to things that might be difficult to find otherwise. For example, one product might be authored by one artist, and that artist is all that shows up on the product page but, in fact, a different artist made the textures (like Sarsa or ToxicAngel, fro example) so to find the textures, looking under the author's name doesn't produce the files I'm looking for.

So many of these products nowadays have immensely useful textures available in the folders that do not make their way into Carrara unless we load them ourselves. Emissive textures are made to produce glow and emit light in Iray - so those go into our Glow channel. If we use Indirect Light, those maps will now glow and emit light in Carrara as well.

But sometimes, like the original post, I install something and just cannot figure out where it is.

In that case, I just find it in DIM and Show Installed Files ;)

• atrach them as files

clicking they will display full size in a new window

you can optionally embed that link

edited December 2019

some AV do indeed block CMS so you may need to create an exception 

don't ask me how though I don't use one as don't browse on my desktop, Windows security essentials possibly is what destroys my smart content though

under preferences content or the menu on the top right corner of your content tab in DS you can reimport metadata etc too, are a few choices there, obviously its not working in DAZ studio either hence your Carrara issues so maybe look on the DAZ studio forum stickies on it too and ask 

do you have Zone Alarm by any chance?

• HeavyD, you may get a breakthrough answer here, or you may not.  Like Wendy said, you can look for Postgre answers on the Daz forums as well.  My recommendation is to file a ticket and ask Daz customer service what to do.  Christmas is not great timing, but you should get some answers from them in the next few days.

Once Daz Studio is functioning properly, you can tackle Carrara using the instructions I linked to previously.

Posting images here requires knowing a few steps.  After seeing how hard it was for me, you will probably won't feel so inept. :)