Bryce fov/scale for seamless landscape

blaydexiblaydexi Posts: 0
edited February 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Hi, trying to render a rather large landscape for some outdoor work, the content itself is quite simple, open sea with some clouds, im trying to render several pieces by moving the camera to the right and just rendering each piece to disk, but i can't figure out the right fov and the clouds/water arent lining up to make it seamless. It will be quite high res so I can't smudge it in photoshop.

I've tried the default, 112.5 as i read in another article and 90, is there some calculation or a set fov that makes it seamless?

I dont want a spherical panoramic view, more like a really wide angle landscape

Document is 2000x1600 and intended render to disk size per piece is 8000x6400 if that helps

Any help is appreciated

Post edited by blaydexi on

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the forum, blaydexi.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe things don't work right when you render to disk. I seem to remember this mentioned in another post. Someone with more knowledge than I have will see this thread and be able to give you better information.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited February 2014

@blaydexi - welcome to the Bryce forums. What you intend to do is a cylindrical panorama, or a part of it. The FOV of 112.5° at Scale 100% does indeed give you a horizontal angle of view of 90°. I don't know whether render to disk is an issue, a 2000 x 1600 can be safely rendered directly - actually up to 4000 wide.

You need to assemble the tiles with an additional program. I have a tutorial for this on my website (see sig). Go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Bryce Page 2 > Render 4000 pixels. This tutorial shows you with what FOV you have to render and how to stitch the renders together with PTGui. There is no change which version of Bryce you use.

If you want to render at 90°, using a square aspect ratio is best. What you get are cube faces and these can be assembled with Cube2Cross or Pano2VR. With Bryce 7.1 Pro came also a tutorial that shows this. You should find them in the Bryce folder under Content > Tutorials > Horo > Cube. Just skip the HDRI faking part and concentrate on the assembling of the cube faces towards the end.

Post edited by Horo on
  • blaydexiblaydexi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot Horo, I did see your tutorial before and did try 112.5 but got perspective distortions which is why I was looking for a way to get an orthogonal view with a free camera, instead of the locked views. I'll follow your guide a bit more closely to see if i missed anything and see if I can manage what I need to do.

Thanks again

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited December 1969

You're more than welcome. If questions remain, bring them up front.

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

blaydexi said:
    Thanks a lot Horo, I did see your tutorial before and did try 112.5 but got perspective distortions which is why I was looking for a way to get an orthogonal view with a free camera, instead of the locked views. I'll follow your guide a bit more closely to see if i missed anything and see if I can manage what I need to do.

Thanks again

Instead of using the camera or directors view, try from front, side or back. They tend to provide more of a ortho view whereas camera and director are more perspective.
    You can use the hand tool and the zoom in and out to control what is in view.