Lack of male content

The lack of content for male models is honesty infuriating. And the amount of female content is overkill. We need a better balance. Tired of checking the website to see 100s of new item for female models and like 5 for male. 

Comments

• Yeah, according to daz and vendors male stuff doesn't sell. But they don't make quality male content in any quantity so it's there to sell, therefore it doesn't sell. I've given up asking. I just shop elsewhere.

• Yeah, according to daz and vendors male stuff doesn't sell. But they don't make quality male content in any quantity so it's there to sell, therefore it doesn't sell. I've given up asking. I just shop elsewhere.

Male content doesn't sell as well, and needs to sell enough in the first week to encourage making more, since the first three to seven days is when the bulk of sales are.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,182

It might help to be a bit more specific on what male content exactly you're looking for, maybe with 1 or 2 sample pictures. Even in normal life, the variation in female clothing is way more extravagant than in male clothing. But, being very specific on what you want may give a designer who wants to make something for male figures an idea for something that hasn't been done yet. Otherwise, potential customers will just go: "Oh, I already have one of those, no need to buy another".

Just take a simple sweater. The variation you generally see for males, is V-Neck, Round-Neck, and Turtle-Neck for the necks, and either slim (not tight) fitting or loose fitting overall. That makes six sweaters..
    For females, the variation is V-Neck, Round-Neck, Turtle-Neck, V-Neck plunging as deep as the navel, Neck open on the rear side (in various plunge depths as well), Open back, varieties of cutouts, and all that in tight fit, slim fit and loose fit. So that's easily double the variation.
    For shoes, the variation is even greater with the choice of heels, open or closed toes, etcetera.
    Underwear? Females have several articles that males generally don't wear, and which I can guarantee wouldn't sell if they were made for males (bra, garter, garterbelt, stockings)
    Men mostly wear pants, rarely skirts or dresses, so not much to create for them here either. A little variation in pants is all that's necessary, and as usual, females do tend to have more variation in them. (I've never seen a guy in capri's, at least. Though I did wear knickebockers as a kid, if that counts?)

So, although I'm all in favour for more choice for men, there's simply way more choice for females by logical demand, because it reflects society: females do have more options.

• I'd buy a sock garters for men. Oh wait. i did. Over at Renderosity.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126
    edited January 2020

I don't buy stuff for my DS guys.They have a pair of underwear they can share should their presence become necessary.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • You should give up on requesting male content, like I did. I was ranting about it all the time, and honestly, it's not worth it. There are some female products you can use on males, and there are other sites that mught sell more male content. The sad reality is, PAs won't create content if ut doesnt sell, and I do undesrtand them. 

That's why I bought Marvelous Designer and started learning to model clothes myself. It's a steep learning curve, but well-worth it. Heck, I might even try and sell some of the clothes I made, if I can get some money back this way. Regarding morphs, you can use Blender (free), or get Zbrush, which is a bit more advanced. I am planning to learn how to morph properly and do JCMs after I am comfortable with MD9. Until then, hold in and sait for new releases.

cheers,

nejc

• Drip said:

It might help to be a bit more specific on what male content exactly you're looking for, maybe with 1 or 2 sample pictures. Even in normal life, the variation in female clothing is way more extravagant than in male clothing. But, being very specific on what you want may give a designer who wants to make something for male figures an idea for something that hasn't been done yet. Otherwise, potential customers will just go: "Oh, I already have one of those, no need to buy another".

*this*

• Drip said:

Basically this.

• I've had a shoulder issue so I've been out of commision for a while but planning to get back into making more male stuff. It sold for me pretty well actually. I'd like to hear some more suggestions on what people would like.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I've had a shoulder issue so I've been out of commision for a while but planning to get back into making more male stuff. It sold for me pretty well actually. I'd like to hear some more suggestions on what people would like.

Alright, here is a suggestion from me.

I would love to see a modular fictional military uniform system. I would love it to be aimed at 19th century (think Victorian era) style, preferably with Steampunk items thrown into the mix, perhaps as an add-on?

I would love to see the system allowing me to choose from a few styles, colour variations, belts, straps, ammo pouches, hats, helmets, decorations (feathers, medals, etc.) and such.

Having a choice of a sword, a sabre, or a rapier, and a pistol or a revolver, all with the appropriate holsters/sheaths/scabbards would be awesome.

Of course, this would also call for poses and expressions.

• Somewhere else I was seeing someone lamenting the lack of soccer outfits (pants-shorts and shirts), and of boyscout outfits.  Yes, there is that one G8M boyscout outfit sold here, but I gather the pants and shirt are all joined together as one unit and it would be nice to be able to change things around and whatnot, switch out the pants, or something.

I for one want more variety of kids clothes for G8M, though also for G8F would be good.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited January 2020
    The Tristan bundle is at the top of the bestseller list since his release. Some Male products sell. Well the average Male item does not sell as well as the average female, this might give some hope for more Male content.
    Post edited by Asari on
  • Asari said:
    The Tristan bundle is at the top of the bestseller list since his release. Some Male products sell. Well the average Male item does not sell as well as the average female, this might give some hope for more Male content.

Which s why we always say the best wy to get more male content is to recruit more buyers.

• Asari said:

Which s why we always say the best wy to get more male content is to recruit more buyers.

Yep.

• Asari said:

Considering how lackluster Tristan's pro bundle is, I'm honestly suprised.

Somewhere else I was seeing someone lamenting the lack of soccer outfits (pants-shorts and shirts), and of boyscout outfits.  Yes, there is that one G8M boyscout outfit sold here, but I gather the pants and shirt are all joined together as one unit and it would be nice to be able to change things around and whatnot, switch out the pants, or something.

I for one want more variety of kids clothes for G8M, though also for G8F would be good.

geometry editor is your friend.

I've had a shoulder issue so I've been out of commision for a while but planning to get back into making more male stuff. It sold for me pretty well actually. I'd like to hear some more suggestions on what people would like.

There are several basic clothes items that need to be covered. First of which is just a simple, functional, generic, long severed T-shirt. Yeah, we really don't have one that isn't button up, V-neck, and/or has short sleves.

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited January 2020

I would love guy's clothing to simply be as functional as women's clothing. Shirt open halfway, fully open, blown back, off the shoulder, sleeves rolled up, zippers than unzip, buttons that unbutton - I'm so astronomically over buying clothes that simply do 2 things - fit or expand - and for the same price as women's clothing. Yes, I have admittedly learned Marvelous Designer to achieve a lot of the aforementioned functions, but it doesn't always work for every piece of my male wardrobe. I want a 'Show my Pecs' feature to be standard. Equality Now! wink.

Just wanted to add a little note here. I think its wrong to persecute Daz for its track record over the quality content of men's clothing. Beauty is still in the eyes of the beholder and there are so many other places to buy quality men's clothing. The discussion for the quality and availability of male characters and men's clothing and/or accessories has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam, however I cannot prescribe to the idea that buying more will encourage the quality and quantity to improve. It then becomes a catch 22 situation. Would you waste your hard earned cash to buy an outfit that really did not have any of the features or quality you would come to expect for the price that is charged in the store, with many items being priced at the same rate as women's attire, with the simple hope that it will change the culture of men's products in the future? Not very many consumers can afford that hope and so I believe this will never change things. I'm not being negative here, just a realist. Nor am I placing blame. I also think that every buyer of men's items wants something different so it would be impossible to please everyone.

Post edited by Fungible User on
  • Asari said:

It's not surprising why this was a top seller, as buyers of men's items had to wait a long time to see a male appear in the line up of characters sales at the end of last year. But I agree this was a smart descsion. I really like Tristan. I wasn't keen on the clothing but I did get a great deal and was extremely satsified and the wait was worth it. A lovely Christmas day surprise. And, ultimately, it saves me money to wait longer to buy the next male release when it is not as regular - even though I probably would buy them if they happened once a month.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    empty said:
    Asari said:

It's not surprising why this was a top seller, as buyers of men's items had to wait a long time to see a male appear in the line up of characters sales at the end of last year. But I agree this was a smart descsion. I really like Tristan. I wasn't keen on the clothing but I did get a great deal and was extremely satsified and the wait was worth it. A lovely Christmas day surprise. And, ultimately, it saves me money to wait longer to buy the next male release when it is not as regular - even though I probably would buy them if they happened once a month.

True. I'm just happy that a Male character can also perform well. It might intrigue one PA to create some Male content? Who knows.
  • empty said:

I would love guy's clothing to simply be as functional as women's clothing. Shirt open halfway, fully open, blown back, off the shoulder, sleeves rolled up, zippers than unzip, buttons that unbutton - I'm so astronomically over buying clothes that simply do 2 things - fit or expand - and for the same price as women's clothing. Yes, I have admittedly learned Marvelous Designer to achieve a lot of the aforementioned functions, but it doesn't always work for every piece of my male wardrobe. I want a 'Show my Pecs' feature to be standard. Equality Now! wink.

What clothing for females do that? I can think of one vendor but that is not the norm.

• Well, I just went into the everyday wear for females and picked three shirts at random and they all open. I did the same for male shirts. and came up with widen, loosen, and expand....BUT I am glad I did cause I did find a shirt that does in fact open and close. If women's clothing that usually have a lot of morphs (let's be honest, they usually do) are not the norm, then men's clothing of the same is like finding the holy grail.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
    empty said:
    I cannot prescribe to the idea that buying more will encourage the quality and quantity to improve. It then becomes a catch 22 situation. Would you waste your hard earned cash to buy an outfit that really did not have any of the features or quality you would come to expect for the price that is charged in the store, with many items being priced at the same rate as women's attire, with the simple hope that it will change the culture of men's products in the future? Not very many consumers can afford that hope and so I believe this will never change things.

Ok, at issue are people who feel there is a lack of male content and think 'something must be done.'

As a customer, there are only two options: buy more, convince others to buy more.

As for quality, PAs have repeatedly pointed out instances where they release a male and female version of the same exact content, and the vast majority of cases the male content sells much worse.

The quality is _exactly the same_, and male content sells worse.

As for 'why would I buy stuff I didn't think was as good as female content'... I have bought products based at least in part on wanting to support or encourage a market or a vendor (like I buy more dinosaurs and animals than I am ever likely to use, because I think they are neat and want to encourage their development).

If someone isn't willing to do anything to change the market, that is totally their right. It's your money, spend it how you like. But if you cry out 'something must be done' and then 'well, not by me' then there's not a lot of ground.

Not a lot of people focus on the second part... preach! If you want more male content, encourage people to use it more! Encourage people to value it more. Yes, ok, you want to make rabbit ear cutesy anime girls, but hey, they have to ride around on the shoulders of SOMEBODY... how about a guy in a snazzy suit? Lupin the Third is pretty awesome, as is Cowboy Bebop! More cool guys!

You are frustrated? GO out there and bang the drum. Spend more money if you can, but if you can't, talk it up. Show off more cool finds, outfits that really work for you...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Also, consider:

A customer spends $100. Customer can decide to get $100 of stuff they really want, or stuff they half want. If the customer goes for half want, ok, they blew $50 but either way they have spent $100.

A PA is going to work on a product. PA can work on a product that will make $100, or work on a product that will make $50. If the PA goes for the second option, they eat rice and beans this week. Maybe.

It's your money, spend it how you like. But when considering options of who should do what, realize that risking less valuable hobby content has a much different impact than risking income.

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited January 2020
    Oso3D said:

Also, consider:

A customer spends $100. Customer can decide to get $100 of stuff they really want, or stuff they half want. If the customer goes for half want, ok, they blew $50 but either way they have spent $100.

A PA is going to work on a product. PA can work on a product that will make $100, or work on a product that will make $50. If the PA goes for the second option, they eat rice and beans this week. Maybe.

It's your money, spend it how you like. But when considering options of who should do what, realize that risking less valuable hobby content has a much different impact than risking income.

I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek but I do think that everyone understands completely what the vendor's face, and who can blame them? Rice and Beans are actually quite nice....(kidding). But seriously, everyone would make the same decision on what earns the cash. Like I said, this conversation has been hashed and rehashed hundreds of times in the forum. I don't think I have ever demanded to see change, but I have voiced quite clearly what I would like 'to see' in menswear. I don't think it's ever going to happen. I'm not holding my breath. I actually encourage people to get out and learn to make clothes themselves. Rather than spend money for years on the 'belief' that they can entice the changes they want to see in the shop (because let's face it, that's how long it will take before vendor's start to recognize enough 'consistent income' in male sales in order for them to consider making marketing/product changes), it would be better for them to invest in the tools to do it yourself. I understand the basics of consumerism, but I believe the community that wants these changes is far too small. The outcry about men's products happens about once or twice a month in the forums and then goes silent. I am probably the worst person to be discussing this because I gave up on buying male clothes a long time ago, and actually buy female clothes that could be considered unisex in nature, and then fit to a male with the great scripts out there. If faced with a pair of jeans for men that do nothing or a pair of female jeans that look almost identical that have loads more morphs and functionality, well, I certainly will buy the female jeans. At this point in time, I think I have found all the workarounds possible to get what I want out of clothes, but it doesn't stop my wishing or wanting. 

Post edited by Fungible User on