What do you want in a free Carrara modeling video tutorial. Taking suggestions.

mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of doing a Carrara video tutorial to post on youtube for the Carrara community. I was thinking of a 30 or 40 minute tutorial, so nothing too complex but something the you want to see modeled in Carrara.
Soooo..., let me hear your requests and I will do a modeling tutorial of the most popular suggestion. You can suggest topics other than modeling .
Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Something that uses as many tools commonly used, say an a sci fi building, mix up organic look with straight lines, or a vehicle, just the exterior, or harder, just an interior.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Something that uses as many tools commonly used, say an a sci fi building, mix up organic look with straight lines, or a vehicle, just the exterior, or harder, just an interior.

Agree. Basic problem solving with the tools, or even a contrast between tools on the same model so we better understand when/why to use them.
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Agree. Basic problem solving with the tools, or even a contrast between tools on the same model so we better understand when/why to use them.

good ideas

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited February 2014

Creating some environments...there's a lot of good DAZ and Carrara cliffs, etc to buy but I liked the idea EP was working on and would like to find a tutorial to help make something like what is on this thread (scroll down to last post for the vertex model). I don't like ripping apart existing products to just get to elements I can use. I'd like to learn.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20965/P960

If there is already a tut out there...someone please point me to it! I am having trouble smoothly extruding... and then doing adjustments (deepening crevices, etc).

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Mike does excellent environments. If this is off-queue of what you have planned, Mike, I'd be happy to help in the area that Silene (above one post) was looking to learn.

Also,
    A bit off topic, because I would like to propose something not for free, but more complete:
    What about a paid tutorial that shows the making of Island Butte Cafe or Mystic Gorge, from the making of the environment to the way you've used various techniques to lay out the pieces and effects, etc.,

I feel that such a seminar would be invaluable to any Carrara user, as you can show how you can use the modeler, then get out of the modeler and use other tools, etc., etc.,

I really think that these scenes create the epitome of great Carrara work, and would make for excellent backdrops for a 'behind the scene' look at how to make such a thing.

I really enjoyed your modeling tutorial product - as you already know. I didn't really have any questions before seeing it. I just got it because the text on the promo says something in regards to "If you want to learn new tricks" or something like that... so I picked it up to learn a few new tricks... and I did! How about that! Beyond that, I've increased the size of my Carrara video tutorials library - which I really need. Call me a geek... because that's exactly what I am - when it comes to Carrara! :)

edited February 2014

Mike does excellent environments. If this is off-queue of what you have planned, Mike, I'd be happy to help in the area that Silene (above one post) was looking to learn.

Also,
    A bit off topic, because I would like to propose something not for free, but more complete:
    What about a paid tutorial that shows the making of Island Butte Cafe or Mystic Gorge, from the making of the environment to the way you've used various techniques to lay out the pieces and effects, etc.,

I feel that such a seminar would be invaluable to any Carrara user, as you can show how you can use the modeler, then get out of the modeler and use other tools, etc., etc.,

I really think that these scenes create the epitome of great Carrara work, and would make for excellent backdrops for a 'behind the scene' look at how to make such a thing.

I really enjoyed your modeling tutorial product - as you already know. I didn't really have any questions before seeing it. I just got it because the text on the promo says something in regards to "If you want to learn new tricks" or something like that... so I picked it up to learn a few new tricks... and I did! How about that! Beyond that, I've increased the size of my Carrara video tutorials library - which I really need. Call me a geek... because that's exactly what I am - when it comes to Carrara! :)

I'd pay for that, I love Mystic Gorge and others he's done... it would be so useful. I got OK with Blender which had smoothing whilst extruding/beveling in a bit more friendly way than Carrara, but left much to be desired for texturing and expanding the model's universe. So yes, please, unless I am missing something. It wouldn't need all the vegetation or water parts... just the geography. I wish I could work better with the Primitive Modeler as well. It seems to have a mind of its own!

:) SileneUK

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited February 2014

I think step by step guide how to round trip a FBX or DAE rig from DS (A; Export) to Carrara (B; Import) assume operations like figure animated, morphed, regrouped or re uv are performed on the figure, (C: Export from Carrara) and back to DS (D: Import ) with figure saved to runtime with rig intact and textures and animations in their proper places.
    It would help content developers take advantage of Carrara to make cross compatible products and also have easy access for use in DS & Poser renders.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2014

Thank you for all your tutorials. Extremely helpful. And thank you for asking for our input. Any of the above suggestions would be excellent.

If you do a landscape tutorial, maybe you could explain how to make something like the attached pic. I found it on the CD that came with a book I found on Amazon, The Carrara 5 Pro Handbook. Am I correct that the render was one of yours? It wasin the gallery section under mmoir.

I would also like a tutorial that includes basic artistic concepts, including lighting, composition, balance, etc. That is what I need the most. But I would collect anything you produced. You do great stuff.

TheMill.jpg
    800 x 433 - 308K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mike ----
    a mike wishlist how much fun is this .

You know I will start my wish with with modeling a character. Or any parts ......lower body, torso , face ---- smiles.

How about the process of making plants. Either with the plant editor and using different leave textures or just straight up mesh models. Everyone likes plants.

Rich

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thank you for all your tutorials. Extremely helpful. And thank you for asking for our input. Any of the above suggestions would be excellent.

If you do a landscape tutorial, maybe you could explain how to make something like the attached pic. I found it on the CD that came with a book I found on Amazon, The Carrara 5 Pro Handbook. Am I correct that the render was one of yours? It wasin the gallery section under mmoir.

I would also like a tutorial that includes basic artistic concepts, including lighting, composition, balance, etc. That is what I need the most. But I would collect anything you produced. You do great stuff.

This is exactly what I was saying. The way he models to the terrain is fantastic. His composition, etc.,
    Thanks for stating it more clearly, Diomede! Yeah, looks like he likely built that scene nearly the same way as he built his Mystic Gorge and Island Butte Cafe. Really neat stuff. I also picked up the BMF Landscape system, which I still need to get used to :)
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

Hey Guys,
    Some good suggestions. If you could post some images of what you want to see a tutorial for that would be great.
    thanks
    Mike

kashyyyk said:
    edited December 1969

Dream Cutter,
    This is not my area of knowledge , although in a product I plan on releasing soon I show the workflow for modeling an object in Carrara for the Genesis figure . I model the object in Carrara , export to Daz and then save it as a preset there so I can use the prop to use wilth Carrara's Genesis figure.

I think step by step guide how to round trip a FBX or DAE rig from DS (A; Export) to Carrara (B; Import) assume operations like figure animated, morphed, regrouped or re uv are performed on the figure, (C: Export from Carrara) and back to DS (D: Import ) with figure saved to runtime with rig intact and textures and animations in their proper places.
    It would help content developers take advantage of Carrara to make cross compatible products and also have easy access for use in DS & Poser renders.
    edited December 1969

Yes, I did create this image, I modeled it from a photogragh on a calendar I had. Maybe a simple landscape scene would work, if you have photos that would be great. .

diomede64 said:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I don't think you can do it yet !

edited December 1969

Rich,

If you have an image reference I will keep this in mind.

Mike ----
    a mike wishlist how much fun is this .

You know I will start my wish with with modeling a character. Or any parts ......lower body, torso , face ---- smiles.

How about the process of making plants. Either with the plant editor and using different leave textures or just straight up mesh models. Everyone likes plants.

Rich

edited December 1969

Dart,
    I was open to all modeling topics but if you want to do something in this area that is fine with me. Go for it.

To do a tut on "Island Butte Café" would be pretty extensive or long ,it is a good idea and will keep this in ming but for now I was looking to do something smaller.

Also,

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I am of agreement with Holly and Kaskyyyk: Shows differences between the use of the various modeling tools…
    Thanks.

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited March 2014

Hi Mike

I'm on board for any complex vehicles. Cars, helicopters, tanks. Something with multiple parts that need to fit together seamlessly. Anything like that would be great. And explaining the reasoning why you're using a particular tool and what it does as you go would be fantastic. I've already picked up some great tips from your vertex modeling tutorial and would really appreciate something like this as making the items I've mentioned above still eludes me.

Thanks!!

I should add, this doesn't have to be free. I'd be willing to pay for it

Post edited by TGS808 on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    Hey Guys,
    Some good suggestions. If you could post some images of what you want to see a tutorial for that would be great.
    thanks
    Mike

kashyyyk said:

Being by Detroit, there are a lot of great architecture examples here. The tunnel one is actually the entrance for the train tunnel to Canada. Back to topic, they all have a nice mixture of curves and straight lines.
    Hunter_House_Detroit.jpg
    1200 x 1147 - 197K
    Bankers_Trust_Company_Building_Detroit_MI.jpg
    1100 x 726 - 354K
    download.jpg
    275 x 183 - 10K
    edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    Dart,
    I was open to all modeling topics but if you want to do something in this area that is fine with me. Go for it. Personally I think you'd be better at explaining it.

To do a tut on "Island Butte Café" would be pretty extensive or long ,it is a good idea and will keep this in ming but for now I was looking to do something smaller.

I know. Very long, because there's so much to it. I used Mystic Gorge, too, as an example because of all of the different examples you've used to build it. I am absolutely amazed at how cool this product is. That's where I got the idea to start using Carrara trees - because Mystic Gorge taught me that you can use them in a scene and still get great, fast renders.

The building of the church and the bridge, the instancing used throughout, the beautiful image maps, the use of terrain and vertex models, fire, and the layering of elements for superb depth, while still retaining great render times.

Yeah... long.
    I would be willing to pay a good price for such an undertaking, and I have a feeling that many others would as well.
    I am certainly on a mission to try to find ways to grow my Carrara TV collection. I love PhilW's work, so I'm not taking anything away from him, either. But Carrara has so many aspects, and we're all so different in style, that I can never get enough inspiration.

Personally, I like your voice, personality, and you are great at explaining yourself and showing us what we can do.

In your new modeling tutorial in the store, I was so incredibly pleased when you went from modeling into creating the shaders, and setting up the render. Like you said in the tutorial, it's a modeling tute, so this part is extra, but I just want to have some good results to look at. How cool was that! Love it!

When I glance through the folders included in the gorge set, there is a lot of work involved in that set. Not to say that you'd have to do that, particular set as a tutorial, but a similar workflow of a complete Carrara scene. So... yeah... the gorge would be perfect! ;)

Some folks might gawk at the price of good tutorials. Not me. I consider them to be an excellent investment.

Okay, sorry to keep going on with, perhaps uncomfortable praise, but I really like how this is such a complete adventure set! So many places to go, things to see. A cave behind a waterfall, all the light torches in the keep below, as well as those going into the large cave up above. The entry trail, the super-awesome bridge... just wanted to say that... now I'm done... for now ;)

mmoir_MG_Final.jpg
    1200 x 788 - 862K
    edited December 1969

That's one helluva scene preset right there!

edited March 2014

mmoir said:
    Dart,
    I was open to all modeling topics but if you want to do something in this area that is fine with me. Go for it.

And Mystic Gorge would be HUGE. But to give basics about doing elements of a scene with examples on how to create different natural formations would be helpful, sort of a mini-version. I would still buy the big ones you do but would like to learn to do mini-ones.

I recently saw a documentary on Montenegro...and the Tara River Canyon....yours looks like a fantasy version of this wild place, even down to the colour of the water!

:) SileneUK

Tara.png
    1017 x 1024 - 2M
    edited December 1969

This should help you on your way, Silene :)
    Building Carrara Terrains Intro
    Not really a tutorial, just a jump-starter.

• MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

Just counting the days to my birthday... And hoping the money that comes is enough for the wacom and this tutorial, as well as 2 or 3 more things... daz 3d will bankrupt me... lolol... or not... there's always the other possibility... :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Trees, weeds, ivy. Every second scenery for Poser/DS comes smothered in ivy! And there's a realistic tree in the middle of every courtyard. So it seems that's an expectation. Now, I know about Carrara's tree builder, but my attempt at that could have been bettered by a 5 year old with a wax crayon!

Btw Mike, I watched your eye drops bottle/ Gordon Surfaces tutorial over lunch today - very enlightening. Excellent stuff. :coolsmile: