Fewer Bathrooms and Bus Stops; More Period Locations and Props

msep_aec684d3fdmsep_aec684d3fd Posts: 32
edited January 2020 in Product Suggestions

Every month or so, DAZ releases a new bathroom or living room or bus stop. 

Meanwhile, there are many interesting potential locations that could have multiple uses.

For example, you have ice skates but no sports competition style ice rinks.

More to the point, I'm interested in American cityscapes from the early 20th century (1900-1920) before the advent of skyscrapers.

Paris from its French Revolution period (1789-1793). Paris had multiple neighborhoods, palaces, a huge cemetery, large churches, business districts, a large market area, craftsmen districts, etc., any of which would be appropriate for different European countries.

Likewise, buildings/urban areas from the colonial period in the US.

Along with these would be period appropriate props, water fountains (for actual drinking and gathering of water), cookware, personal possesions, etc.

Different carriages from different areas as opposed to the couple of carriages available. I have been looking for a modern Amish carriage for years.

Fewer troublesome stereotypical depictions of African and Middle Eastern characters. Clothing and buildings that look like modern Africa and the Middle East.

More period appropriate clothing and hair for different age groups, especially for kids and young teens. We have many ponytails available, but few good options for women and girls from the 1940s or earlier.

Early cars, trucks, and carts from the early 20th century.

A tenement building or (better yet) neighborhood of tenements from the same period.

Better modeled male clothing. Female conforming clothing looks relatively realistic, but men's suits and jackets rarely have the same level of built in creases and details, often making them look cartoony.

Post edited by msep_aec684d3fd on

Comments

• PedrithPedrith Posts: 14

I second the call for this.  Especially French Revolution Paris.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

Awww. I almost have enough bathrooms for my sci-fi spinoff series, Doctor Loo.cheeky

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    Kitsumo said:

Awww. I almost have enough bathrooms for my sci-fi spinoff series, Doctor Loo.cheeky

"Coming soon, out of a toilet near you!"

• Pedrith said:

I second the call for this.  Especially French Revolution Paris.

I third and fourth call this. Props and sets like this always get my Ka-Ching! 

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I have often thought how great it would be if DAZ got Era Pro Bundles together like they do their new figure Pro Bundles. Have three locations, two costumes for male and female figures each, some period props, and a set of poses as well. With as many eras as there are, you could cycle through and have multiple updates every year of the most popular (Victorian, Medieval Europe, Feudal Japan, Old West, the 70's, etc) with an occasional outliers like Ancient Mayan, Ottoman Empire, etc

What do you think?

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,521
    RKane_1 said:

I have often thought how great it would be if DAZ got Era Pro Bundles together like they do their new figure Pro Bundles. Have three locations, two costumes for male and female figures each, some period props, and a set of poses as well. With as many eras as there are, you could cycle through and have multiple updates every year of the most popular (Victorian, Medieval Europe, Feudal Japan, Old West, the 70's, etc) with an occasional outliers like Ancient Mayan, Ottoman Empire, etc

What do you think?

This is BRILLIANT.  This would be so helpful when working on projects, you could get everything you need in one bundle.  I would also add a shader pack, so that other items could be made to fit in.

• RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

I think it might be in the top ten most brilliant ideas I have ever heard.  I would definitely buy these. 

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited February 2020
    RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

This is hands down an AWESOME idea and is exactly the type of thing I have wanted for ages. You could perhaps have brocade and lace/silk shader packs for textiles for the relevant period, and armour shaders etc for others. Various wallpaper and wall shaders etc to make the set your own. There was a pirate pack over at Rendo not long ago and I bought the lot. Such a fun playground to play in. All it needed was some added island scenes and perhaps some added HDRI etc... and Bobs your Uncle! I would totally be down for that. I find the thing I buy most these days are props to authenticate and detail my period pieces. I love dressing scenes more than I care to admit, and so having a pack full of just props to give your scene that added sense of historical accuracy and definition would be a dream come true. Throw in some relevant poses and facial expressions...wow, the possibilities are endless.

Post edited by Fungible User on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2020
    RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

I love this idea. Especially if it meant some of the older products would get a new version. There are tons of awesome Victorian era products, but for older generations, pre-Iray, created in much lower resolution and with much lower details than what is possible today.

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • Well, I can only add my two cents to this. I  totally favor what  everyone's  proposing. There are only so many contemporary people /clothes/sets that one can use. 90% of the bathrooms are  so luxurious that only the extremely wealthy would build them. Has anyone even thought about interiors of either period submarines or battleships or tanks? Where are the military uniforms from any period other than contemporary, "space Marines" or US WWII ?  How about the Civil War, or any Colonial period outfits? Likewise any scenes from either contemporay Latin America or Historical Latin America, that aren't Mexican Haciendas? What about Soviet era stuff?  A German beer hall. A French Metro, a Turn of the Century French cafe. And on and on and on.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

Excellent! If these bundles are historically correct and less 'fantasy', they would go to my cart in an instant!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,116
    caravelle said:
    RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

Excellent! If these bundles are historically correct and less 'fantasy', they would go to my cart in an instant!

They did this twice, IIRC, for the PC celebrations a few years back - one year was the 1950s/60s diner and the other was the 1930s circus/fairground sets. Both had base environments, add-on prop sets, clothing, and poses. And I keep waiting for the concept to come around again.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419

namffuak said:

They did this twice, IIRC, for the PC celebrations a few years back - one year was the 1950s/60s diner and the other was the 1930s circus/fairground sets. Both had base environments, add-on prop sets, clothing, and poses. And I keep waiting for the concept to come around again.

Yes, I own almost everything from both sets, but though they are fantastic, I used them not very often. Not my periods, or too special, like the fairground. When they were first released, I think they came not as a bundle, but in seperate parts, one after another, but I may be wrong. I would like a bundle, or two, three of them, for every period. Maybe we could make a little poll about the most interesting periods for Daz customers.

• Obviously, we'd all love artists to create the kinds of sets/environments for our particular needs,  However, it's a business.  Small interior rooms with contemporary decor have a large potential market and can probably be churned out quicker than that medieval abbey or 17th-century chateau.

But I would be much more likely to purchase bundles which are focused on period wardrobe/hairstyles/environments/props than bundles based on characters.

• I agree with these, but also realise that some will sell better than others. BUT do a set of linked items and it is more usable, and will sell better, than one on its own. A female outfit or room interior will surely sell better if a linked male outfit and building experior are also available. 

I can see (for example) a Victorian starter bundle with middle/upper class male outfit, female outfit, female hair and posh room interior through to a pro bundle with also a working class male and female outfit, working class female hair, male hair and facial hair, lower poly posh building exterior and detailed section of slum street.

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 165

Ewww.... Bus stops. Sorry read it as request for feminine hygene products at first glance. 

• RKane_1 said:

What do you think?

I'd buy into this so much more than the current "5th generic white girl model with a hanful of good clothing options and dime a dozen model pose packs'" format.

I would TOTALLY love a "30s-40s Noir Bundle" with like a suit and fedora set for G8 Male, A classy period dress for G8 Female, a Firearms pack with old school detective revolvers/tommy guns/other mobster firearms, maybe a period friendly car, and a handful of encironments: a city street with period-friendly buildings, a seedy meeting spot by the docks, SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

• TDBAGZ said:

Ewww.... Bus stops. Sorry read it as request for feminine hygene products at first glance. 

the mind boggles cheeky

just how heavy a flow are we looking at here?????

• adding to this conversation:

This new kind of bundle would solve another problem:

PAs not wanting to do historical/period content because it doesn't sell/not enough add ons to make the period stuff worth it to buyers for future uses.

think about it: How much more successful would that baller WWII US Soldier outfit have been if it came in a bundle with: An appropriate War Torn europe environment, a world War 2 firearms pack, That G8 Female Officers uniform, a German soldier outfit (wth the nazi stuff replaced with an alternative to skirt possible censorship laws), and like a Sherman Tank?

Now THAT would have made gangbusters.

By themselves? Probably not as popular.

This Theme Bundle seriously has massive potential.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    edited February 2020
    sjaammons said:

PAs not wanting to do historical/period content because it doesn't sell/not enough add ons to make the period stuff worth it to buyers for future uses.

Historical items sold as a bundle might sell more than as individual products (there's no guarantee of that, though), but that doesn't mean they would sell enough to make it profitable. And that would require multiple PAs taking those kinds of risks, not just one.

Post edited by Leana on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885
    sjaammons said:

adding to this conversation:

think about it: How much more successful would that baller WWII US Soldier outfit have been if it came in a bundle with: An appropriate War Torn europe environment, a world War 2 firearms pack, That G8 Female Officers uniform, a German soldier outfit (wth the nazi stuff replaced with an alternative to skirt possible censorship laws), and like a Sherman Tank?

Now THAT would have made gangbusters.

By themselves? Probably not as popular.

This Theme Bundle seriously has massive potential.

WOULD it have made gangbusters? How much would you have been willing to pay for that? How much would anyone be willing to pay for it all at once? The uniform itself is already unusually expensive for a Daz outfit (though I'm not at all suggesting it's not worth the asking price), and I imagine you'd want the other items to be of comparable quality, so let's see what that would look like:

We've got the male uniform, female uniform (I assume that's the one you're referring to) and let's say this environment. This weapons pack is the closest I could find in a quick search, but it's a DO, and probably isn't as high quality as, say, a Polish set. Here's a good tank. That brings our total to $130.75, and that's without including a comparable German uniform, tank, or weapons. This puts us at nearly the list price of a pro bundle, but pro bundles are Daz originals, so they can discount them however much they want, whenever they want, and virtually nobody ever actually buys them at that price. How much would those items above cost as a bundle? At least $100, I would guess, and presumably with no massive sales incentives like new pro bundles receive. How many people would have to buy that bundle in order for it to have been worthwhile for the PAs involved? Would that many people buy it?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,116
    Leana said:
    sjaammons said:

Historical items sold as a bundle might sell more than as individual products (there's no guarantee of that, though), but that doesn't mean they would sell enough to make it profitable. And that would require multiple PAs taking those kinds of risks, not just one.

This is why the two theme-oriented sets I mentioned above were done as part of the PC annual sale - DAZ came up with the theme and commissioned the products from a number of PAs.

TDBAGZ said:

the mind boggles cheeky

just how heavy a flow are we looking at here?????

Oh you know. Just enough to fill a bathroom every month or so. laugh 

Seriously though this endevor would require artists to be either multi product type talented, or for a group of artists willing to stay in a predesignated period for some time. Which means you wont get the quality from the products as they wouldnt be in the artists' wheel house or a product or a period they aren't very pasionate about. 

Collabs would likely require communication or the pieces may not "fit" together well even with in the same period. The World War 2 Tank doesnt match the 40s dresser. 

The time dedication from a group of artist would also likely mean that not only the artists would have to be interested in the period but the stores customers. As the stores new products would resemble Mid Evil Month, or Wild West Month, Future Month (If it could exsist) would be a hodgepodge. So if you are a SciFi artist or involved in the genre then no new assets for you for awhile. DAZ already has themed sales you can bundle. Doing a full set.... It may sell, but seems kinda uninspirering. IMO      

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Well, here's an interesting test case for the idea that's been kicked around in this thread of a themed bundle: https://www.daz3d.com/staff-picks-eastern-culture-bundle

edited February 2020
    namffuak said:
    Leana said:
    sjaammons said:

This is why the two theme-oriented sets I mentioned above were done as part of the PC annual sale - DAZ came up with the theme and commissioned the products from a number of PAs.

There are some very cool sets reworked by Moyra at Rendo, who is taking older historical sets and breathing new life into them with upated Iray texture sets. She has done some absolutely brilliant work, but there are so, so many older sets in the Daz store which could use a bit of the same magic. The foundations are there, at least as far as sets/environments are concerned. There isn't likely to be The Ultimate Bundle that will please everyone, but it's a step in the right direction.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,032

Double-check your content library though when you look at Moyra's offerings at Rendo. You may have purchased many of them here at Daz already. Of course if you put off buying her material sets here, you now can buy them again there.

edited February 2020

I thought you already had to own the original sets in order for Moyra's new Iray material sets to work, as she states on her pages. She references all the Daz sets you should already own in order for her materials to work....or have I got this wrong? For instance she states that you should own the Daz original for the The King's Chamber Expansion, a Daz Original. https://www.daz3d.com/the-kings-chamber-expansion-pack-1 and the attachment is her material set.

...or are you saying that these were once available on Daz...confused.

product_image_full_453898_563e85aa857cc94ce507fce676ef0fe5.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 990K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    empty said:

I thought you already had to own the original sets in order for Moyra's new Iray material sets to work, as she states on her pages. She references all the Daz sets you should already own in order for her materials to work....or have I got this wrong? For instance she states that you should own the Daz original for the The King's Chamber Expansion, a Daz Original. https://www.daz3d.com/the-kings-chamber-expansion-pack-1 and the attachment is her material set.

Yes, you need the original items as those are texture sets.

empty said:

...or are you saying that these were once available on Daz...confused.

Quite a few of Moyra's items were available at Daz before.

• thought so...was just checking on @memcneil70 comment. I have bought most of all her texture sets on Rendo with the sets I own, just wondering if I had missed something is all

edited February 2020
    Gordig said:

Well, here's an interesting test case for the idea that's been kicked around in this thread of a themed bundle: https://www.daz3d.com/staff-picks-eastern-culture-bundle

See even at 50% off thats still expensive AF to me. I personally would only be even remotely interested in maybe 4 of those products. Granted this is a theme, not a a time period. With a time period you would also need a secondary theme for cohesion I would think. At that point, where you are specializing so much and so specfically, mine as well release full ready render scenes for unoriginal copy pasta by everyone. It would have to be massive I think, like an alternate holiday theme (ie:what the stores look like at Christmas or Valentines day). It might be cool for like a render contest idea to have a set of varied assets and see what different artist do with them but a custom giant theme bundle based on a past time in history still seems kinda lame to me, no offense to anyone who disagrees.   

Post edited by TDBAGZ on