anyone come across a carrara fur preset for dog 8?

anyone come across a carrara fur preset for dog 8?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

have any Carrara users purchased Dog 8?  wink

I haven't .. and haven't noticed any images of any either being posted. hmmmm...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm very behind on my installs.

tee hee i need to decide on my doggie style

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited January 2020

Dog 8 needs to be converted to Blended Weight - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3750916/#Comment_3750916

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited January 2020

have any Carrara users purchased Dog 8?  wink

I haven't .. and haven't noticed any images of any either being posted. hmmmm...

French Bulldog pic posted, done a few others as well ! https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5244771/#Comment_5244771

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4610606/#Comment_4610606

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

with so many images it all gets lost in the mix laugh

I remember them now you mention it, though didn't realise they were dog8 .. yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I have used the Benji fur on other woofers, I did a few crappy videos with Carrara fur too but nothing memorable 

edited January 2020

I also use the Mil Dog & Pup as they have more breeds than Dog 8, was thinking about getting the Hivewire one as well.

EDIT: Got the Lorez Dog, need to do a few more renders with that one ! https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5031891/#Comment_5031891

edited January 2020

while the Dforce hair is PA only the strand based hair is available to all

so

my question is how much of this is accesible in the API

could someone use the information to convert to Carrara hair parameters?

the Carrara hair is actually readable in a text editor so in theory one would not even need to use the SDK

rather populate a .car file with the right values

still beyond my skillset

the big drawback to LAMH was it was encrypted I could not read those files and had trouble getting the density maps out

these are actually user facing files in DAZ studio Strand based hair

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

hya I have made a few presets I'll upload them when I get a chance - my dropbox is full - - recently discovered you can use a texture map for the hair denity thickness and length distribution in the hair shader 

not perfect but you can blurr the distribution shader near the paws

plaindog.jpg
    1200 x 1097 - 253K
    greatdane.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 439K
    benjihair6_VolumePrimitives0.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 456K
    benjihair6.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 614K

example

the strand based hair as I said has actual density maps in the runtime texture folders

Ah thtank goodness ! I sorry I missed that. save me opening a drop box account :) cheers

edited January 2020

Using the Dog 8 German Shepherd density map

Dog8 hair 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M

my furs are horrifying

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    Headwax said:

hya I have made a few presets I'll upload them when I get a chance - my dropbox is full - - recently discovered you can use a texture map for the hair denity thickness and length distribution in the hair shader 

not perfect but you can blurr the distribution shader near the paws

Would love to see these when you have time to post them to Dropbox.... I have experimented a bit, but never seem to get the fore-leg and paw areas right... tails, and ears, too for that matter. So a sample of length and density maps would be amazing!

heart  Silene

very nice El Bunyip02 :)

crazy mad person Wendy the best - couldnt see the desnity maps in the textures folder

SileneUK - here's couple rough and not so rough - just a metter of blending the blacks and whites to your taste and dropping it into the density part of the shader

I trimmed some of the area by hand in the hair room

to use - drop the car file in your objects folder, then you can drag it onto the dog - you have to add that dogs texture file to the hair colour shader of course (roiot and tip)

there's quick whiskers one as well

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myakvtb5vyjhegd/Dog8HairSlightlyLonger.car?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3oryz8inkiuwld/Dog8Whiskers.car?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5mo4rl0wvxnfds/HairBenjiUpload.car?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11et1layhmdlmx1/HairDog8Variation1.car?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpki8yy8m3w71qv/HairDog8Variation3.car?dl=0

hopefully one will work okay? :)

Thanks so much... I won't have my machine back for a few more days, but am downloading these and am keen to try them. Once I understand the principle better, I hope to make some of my own instead of using the density brush in the hair room which is hit or miss.

yes  Silene

edited January 2020

It'

s pretty simple when you get the hang of it

Here's a lorzenso template exported from carrar

you just paint on the template black and white - where white is you get hair denser, or longer  (so in these exam,ples you need to invert the map once you put it in the hair shader (density and lenghth)

if you gausian blur the the maps it gives a neater finish

In these examples I have added two lots of hair to Lorenzo - one for beard and one for hair 

the images are labelled 

hope this helps ? :)

they are rough jobs

you can see I have made a length one for the beard to make it longer in the middle

lorenzomo2.jpg
    1206 x 1314 - 392K
    lorenzopretty1.jpg
    815 x 1058 - 226K
    LorenzoHairDistributionBeardDensity.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 66K
    LorenzoHairDistributionBeardLength.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 64K
    LorenzoHairDistributionMoustacheDensitypost.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 56K
    lorenzotemplate.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2020

But are you doing that in a texture file vs using the density painting tool in the hair room (the two tools on top left of tool bar) for your dogs.as you did for the beards above?  I use that all the time, but it is hard to 'paint' on thin shins of animals, wolves or dogs as an example. On humans faces or large areas, it's not difficult, just on skinny objects.  In the past I have tried to make a standalone density map b/w file using the main texture file as a template, but I was not getting a good result.  I am fine doing height maps, so I have a general knowledge of how to use shades of gray for effects... but for your beards, did you just use the face texture map for that model and make the beard map using that as a template (eg doing a layer thingy in PS and then just saving the beard?)

When I open your files when I get my machine back, will I see a texture file that you have dropped into the hair shader tree that shows how you got the extremity hairs sorted?  I did not see any separate files in your dropbox set, only .car files. Are they embedded some how?  I am sure it's me and it will be all obvious once I can open .car files again!

heart  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited January 2020

Hi Silene,

But are you doing that in a texture file vs using the density painting tool in the hair room (the two tools on top left of tool bar) for your dogs.as you did for the beards above?  I use that all the time, but it is hard to 'paint' on thin shins of animals, wolves or dogs as an example. On humans faces or large areas, it's not difficult, just on skinny objects.

I am painting in the hair room then using the distribution shader in the hair shader to fine tine it.

As tyou know you can only select whole polys in the hair room so its is pretty inacurate on low poly models.

The shader map (The black and white one helpd you finetune it.

In the past I have tried to make a standalone density map b/w file using the main texture file as a template, but I was not getting a good result.  I am fine doing height maps, so I have a general knowledge of how to use shades of gray for effects... but for your beards, did you just use the face texture map for that model and make the beard map using that as a template (eg doing a layer thingy in PS and then just saving the beard?)

Yes, the trick is to blend it a little with gausian blur so the edges of your painted map arent crisp.

When I open your files when I get my machine back, will I see a texture file that you have dropped into the hair shader tree that shows how you got the extremity hairs sorted?  I did not see any separate files in your dropbox set, only .car files. Are they embedded some how?  I am sure it's me and it will be all obvious once I can open .car files again!

Hi, yes you will see the texture files in the hair shader - in the density and length sections. I saved the car file with textures included - so it should work.

Yes it will be nice when you get your macine back - very frustrating to have no access.

Here is what I painted in the hair room - you can see on the right image clear hair filements that have no hairs on them - that's because of the distribution shader.

They still get little nodes and drape when you 'drape' - so try not to get too many of them (For example, don't just select the whole body in the hair room - like I did at first - t)

hairroom.jpg
    1514 x 1163 - 644K
    edited January 2020

Here are the dog 8 distrubition maps - you can see they are pretty simple - one for density t'other for length

I just painted in a new PSD layer over the texture map in this case - which I cant post of course.

You can see for the paws I just used a simple gradient (drew a circle arround them and filled it with a black and white gradient

Normally you would do it over an exported Uv Template to get it more accurate

Benji-CoatHairDistributionForfeet.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 372K
    BenjiHairThickness.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 358K
    Headwax said:

Here are the dog 8 distrubition maps - you can see they are pretty simple - one for density t'other for length

I just painted in a new PSD layer over the texture map in this case - which I cant post of course.

You can see for the paws I just used a simple gradient (drew a circle arround them and filled it with a black and white gradient

Normally you would do it over an exported Uv Template to get it more accurate

Thanks, Andy... I see it now. I'd never used distribution maps before, so this will be fun. I can see how useful they could be when using hair for grass areas, too!  Working with Car hair is one thing I really enjoy, so look forward to this.  You are right about not always painting hair on a whole area to be haired... it gets cumbersome. and  often does not matter where it does not 'show'.

yes  Silene

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2020

huh, we can use alpha masks with hair?

like if i blended noise speckles in, it could sprout hairs from the noise speckls?

Post edited by Mistara on

yes it's pretty cool aye?