This audio format not recongized by Poser

bdproductionsbdproductions Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi
I'm trying to animate a character so that it sings with a wave file. However, I keep getting the message 'This Audio format is not recognized by Poser'. I am using Poser Pro 2012, but I have had past success using the talk designer in Poser's 6-10. I am using a wav file, so the format is correct. I'm just not certain as to why Poser cannot recognize it. Any suggestions or directions to any tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bdproductionsbdproductions Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I tried another of my workstations to see if the problem showed up there, and ran into the same thing. I was hoping for the lazy man's solution of using Poser to animate the lip synch. I just performed the sequence in front of my digital camera and used it as a reference. It will take a little bit more time to animate, but the problem is solved.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944
    edited December 1969

plugging a mic in line in fixed it in Poser7 for me after asking on the old forum
    even though using a wav file Poser needed to find a mic
    dunno if problem has persisted I have PP2012 but have a line in permanently connected

edited March 2014

Thanks WendyHeartCats for the reply. I've already started the tedious task of animating the sequence from scratch. But I will definitely give your idea a look see!:-)

Post edited by bdproductions on
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Thanks WendyHeartCats for the reply. I've already started the tedious task of animating the sequence from scratch. But I will definitely give your idea a look see!:-)

This also has happened to me, I had to seek help from the technical support SmithMicro,
    the technician who answered told me the same as wendy ♥ catz mentions:
    you need to unplug the connectors audio from your computer (headphones, usb etc.)
    this will "awaken" the codec (if you have it)

edited December 1969

This also has happened to me, I had to seek help from the technical support SmithMicro,
    you need to unplug the connectors audio from your computer (headphones, usb etc.)

It
    Ahhhh....thanks much jorge dorlando...and not a moment too soon. It took seven hours to animate one verse. I'm going to give this suggestion a try.

edited December 1969

I tried your suggestion with no success. You mentioned that unplugging the connectors (etc) would awaken the codec.Would you happen to know the codec?

edited March 2014

To verify that a valid file is not being recognized, try to load the Sound Files located..
    C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Content\Evaluation_Sounds

If that file does load, it means your File is not a valid format for Poser.
    If that file also does not load, it means either you are missing some Codecs for your system or your Sound Device is not correctly reporting the File Type. This can happen with some Sound Devices that have both Digital and Analog Components. Switching the device to the Analog Component often fixes this issue. You can achieve this often by just plugging in a Head Set into the Sound Out Jack on the back of your computer. This sometimes forces Windows to activate the Analog Sound Device.

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Driver

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I apologize for the confusion. Due to changes in Sound devices, newer devices can play codecs but may not report the codec correctly. This is true of Media Player that came with Vista and later versions of Windows. The fact Media Player can play the files is expected, if they are valid files, such as the default files. The fact that the default files gives you this error indicates that Media Player, which is the Sound Playback Device used by Poser, is either not reporting the format, or is reporting the format using a newer codec that may support the codec, but is not supported under Poser. Poser has not direct Sound Playback capabilities. It only uses the Operating System Playback Device. The Poser Application needs sound files to be of a specific format (basically uncompressed WAV Files) to be used in the application. It relies on the Operating System to report the Codec to determine if it is a supported file type. If it is not a supported type, if the Driver is out of date, and/or the the non compressed WAV Codecs are not installed so the Operating System can report that as the codec, Poser will return that error.

Post edited by jorge dorlando on
    edited December 1969

Disconnect the USB Speakers from the jacks, including the USB Cable. before launching Poser, plug in a pair of Headphones or Earbuds and see if the default Sound file still gives the error .
    It should now work always. What that does (in non technical terms) is forces windows to wake up the Analog reporting feature of Media Player, so the files are reported correctly.

It is much more complicated than that, but as crazy as it seems, it works.

• Hi, despite the seniority of this post, here is the solution ;-) the .wav file must not contain a symbol type - _ \ | and so on