OT - Did anyone watch the Oscars?

DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm just curious what everyone thought about the Academy Awards last night? I thought Frozen winning best animated film and Gravity winning best Visual Effects were both very fitting. I didn't see all of the nominees for best picture, but I did see a few of them and I thought 12 Years a Slave definitely deserved to win. Of course I was sad that poor Leo was snubbed again, though I've been told that Mathew McCona-however you spell it was amazing in Dallas Buyers Club.

Curious what everyone else though.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

Me and Ann are big Matthew McConaughey fans. I love him in A Time To Kill, U-571, and We are Marshall. I was happy to see him win something

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited March 2014

I definitely think he's great. Dallas Buyers Club is now on my list of movies I need to see. I don't know if you've ever seen the movie Bernie. It has Jack Black. Mathew McConaughey plays the DA in that film, and does a stellar job.

Post edited by DZ_jared on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I didn't watch this year, although I usually do. It's been a long time since I've seen enough of the movies nominated for best picture to make sense for me to watch.

I'm also a Matthew McConaughey fan, and have seen him in several films I've really enjoyed. I really liked him in Lincoln Lawyer, then again I read the book (and all the others in that series), so was able to picture him in the role. :coolsmile:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

He's played a lawyer in several movies

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

I don't usually watch as they tend to have very different tastes in movies and criteria for winning than i do (kinda like the Ms America pageant, LOL)
    I liked Gravity enouigh, but never thought of it as Oscar material. 12 yrs a slave was great, good to see it recognized.

I am also a fan of Matthew McConaughey, loved him in Reign of fire and Sahara, good to see him being recognized for his work, although Dallas Buyers Club wasn't that great to me.

for best animated, i liked "The Croods" more than frozen.

I am glad The Wolf of Wall Street didn't win, I like Leo, but hated that movie.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,749
    edited December 1969

Ellen did a great job hosting, funny without being forced and very relaxed. Best host in years. The whole pizza delivery bit was ingenious.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Ellen did a great job hosting, funny without being forced and very relaxed. Best host in years. The whole pizza delivery bit was ingenious.

I thought she did an amazing job. The whole pizza gag was hilarious. According to my sources the pizza place they ordered from is really good.

Some of the presenters could have done a little bit better. I mean come on Jon Travolta - Idina Menzel isn't that hard to say. And Adele Dazeem isn't even close.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Nope, I haven't watched the Oscars ever since I got rid of cable. The only thing that interest me are the dresses.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,925
    edited March 2014

for best animated, i liked "The Croods" more than frozen.

Honestly, I felt The Croods was the least deserving of the nominees, as while the animation was okay the story felt rather, er, crude and driven by plot devices rather than character development. I still haven't seen Eranest & Celestine, but the other two nominees felt more like obligatory nods, Despicable Me 2 because the first film didn't get nominated due to rules that only allowed three nominations in 2010, and The WInd Rises as it's probably going to be Hayao Miyazaki's last feature.

In the end, I thought that Frozen was the walk-away winner, both for being the most advanced film technically and for some of the best vocal casting in years. A musical with a Broadway based cast instead of the usual big-name star star stunt casting is rare enough, but Idena Menzel as a Disney Princess? Did John Lasseter take over Disney Animation?? Oh, wait... yes he did. :) As it was, Frozen capped it's two Oscar wins this weekend by becoming the 18th film (and only the 5th non-sequel/prequel) to make over a Billion dollars at the box-office ($388,756,783US + $611,500,000 International), while co-songwriter Robert Lopez became the 12th person* to win the full the EGOT (winning an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.)

*or the 15th if non-competitive awards are included.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    ...I mean come on Jon Travolta - Idina Menzel isn't that hard to say. And Adele Dazeem isn't even close.

Maybe he flashed back to his role in Battlefield Earth and spoke her name in the Psychlos language.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I had the show on mostly as background noise, since I hadn't seen any of the nominees for the big categories. Most years I'm only watching for the Musical numbers, maybe best costume, and the dresses.

Loved Ellen, though. She made it watchable despite my general lack of investment.

Quite happy with the results of Best Animated Feature and Best original song. Of course, as a long time fan of the House of Mouse, Disney usually has my vote. :)

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Haven't watched in years. The highlights the next day are enough for me. Glad that Matthew McConaughey won, though. He is a class act.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Haven't watched in years. The highlights the next day are enough for me. Glad that Matthew McConaughey won, though. He is a class act.

Yeah...the last time I watched was in something like 1989...because I had to for a class. The highlights are enough.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited March 2014

Missed it, too busy with other things but was glad Ellen did such a great job and I did see Pink's tribute to Judy Garland. Her rendition of Over the Rainbow was so heart felt and she looked beautiful. Having scenes from the movie showing in the background and then seeing the end of it and the cameras were on her children and the standing ovation sent me over the edge and I had to grab some tissues. Ellen's North Witch bit was very funny too in another clip I saw. That's about it though.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/03/03/oscars-wizard-of-oz/

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Missed it, too busy with other things but was glad Ellen did such a great job and I did see Pink's tribute to Judy Garland. Her rendition of Over the Rainbow was so heart felt and she looked beautiful. Having scenes from the movie showing in the background and then seeing the end of it and the cameras were on her children and the standing ovation sent me over the edge and I had to grab some tissues. Ellen's North Witch bit was very funny too in another clip I saw. That's about it though.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/03/03/oscars-wizard-of-oz/

Thanks for that link. I would have missed that. It just bears out my theory that the best moments are when the actors are not involved.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

Nope, I haven't watched the Oscars ever since I got rid of cable. The only thing that interest me are the dresses.

...yeah, I had fun guessing how many months worth of rent those "one nighter" dresses would pay for.

Ellen was great, I agree one of the best hosts in a long time. (got a good laugh when she came out in the Glinda costume),

Good to see Twelve Years win best picture.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Kind of strange.... Matthew McConaughey's acceptance ramble for best actor.... with no mention of thanks to anyone connected to his movie.. and no mention of the important topic of his movie. Also the Memorial picture montage was lame... I would have preferred some film clips of Shirley Temple, Paul Walker, and Philip Seymour Hoffman included and they could skip the Bette Midler ballad.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

And the Oscar for the evening's best frock goes to . . . (quick pause for a dramatic drumroll) Sandra Bullock.

Cheers,

Alex.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

Stopped watching the Oscars when they apparently didn't even consider 'Watchmen' in any category back then. So this year, I stored away my grudge and gave it another try.

Didn't blow me away but I liked it. Ellen DeGeneres did a great job, the acts were fine, can't really judge who deserved what since I haven't seen most of the movies, but I do kinda start to feel sad for DiCaprio :D And I would have liked to see Scorsese win something at least.
    Some of the presenters came across a bit stiff to me, too, which surprised me, figured those people would have a much easier time speaking in front of a crowd.

And, I don't have anything against him as an actor or a person, but Matthew McConaughey's speech, actually, his entire demeanor seemed completely weird to me. Did he have some magic mushrooms on his pizza?

Surprisingly, I really liked Jared Leto's speech. My sister is a big fan of his, so I guess, him winning was a positive thing, too :D

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited March 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yeah, I had fun guessing how many months worth of rent those "one nighter" dresses would pay for.

Yeah, I find it so depressing to see over the top glitzy extravaganzas for people who are so insecure that they need to give prizes to each other to overcome the realization that in the grand scheme of things they have very hollow meaningless lives. Unlike the rest of us out here who get no prizes yet have to live with the same realization. Who are the stronger?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

You couldn't pay me to watch those, but I am happy that Frozen and Gravity won some awards, I agree.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

We watched the whole thing. I'm not normally a big fan of Ellen, but she did an amazing job. Was very funny, yet self-effacing as well. I thought most of the winners were well selected. Leto's speech brought tears to my wife's eyes. She is from Venezuela and hearing her country mentioned on stage meant a lot to her.

I actually liked Matthew's speech as well. It was more personal than a lot of speeches we hear on shows like that. The idea of always chasing the person you want to become in particular hit me.

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,349
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    We watched the whole thing. I'm not normally a big fan of Ellen, but she did an amazing job. Was very funny, yet self-effacing as well. I thought most of the winners were well selected. Leto's speech brought tears to my wife's eyes. She is from Venezuela and hearing her country mentioned on stage meant a lot to her.

I actually liked Matthew's speech as well. It was more personal than a lot of speeches we hear on shows like that. The idea of always chasing the person you want to become in particular hit me.

It is not only be mentioned, it is the reason. It is good knows we are not alone in hard moments.
    Saludos desde Caracas a tu esposa :)