Can Poser dynamic clothing be used in Daz Studio?

robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm seeing some lovely Poser dynamic clothing out there, and I'd really like to use it... but I use Daz Studio. I know the conventional wisdom is that one can't use Poser dynamic items in DS, but that's been conventional wisdom since the days of D|S 2... Does that still hold, or are there cases when the "wrong" type of dynamic item can be used anyway (and if there are, how well do they work)?

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2014

Poser dynamic cloth is not dynamic by itself. It's designed to be use with the cloth room drape functions which grants you a huge degree of control over the finished result. Daz Studio's dynamic cloth however is very different. As DS has no cloth room, the outfits themselves are dynamic in nature and designed specifically to respond to the Dynamic Clothing drape functions which are part of a plugin.

In short, there is no current way to use Poser dynamic clothing in Daz Studio because there is no cloth room yet.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Studio and Poser use completely different 'dynamic' clothing systems, so no they are not interchangeable. The tools exist in Studio and the pro version of Poser to rig dynamic clothing but the results can be iffy.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2014

There are people that use Poser Dynamic Clothes on Genesis by using the rigging tools in DS ...

Post edited by Kerya on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    There are people that use Poser Dynamic Clothes on Genesis by using the rigging tools in DS ...
    The catch there is that they are no longer dynamic clothes, they are conforming clothing. That means there's no drape. In the majority of cases when working with dynamic clothing, that means they're largely wrinkle-free as well, which can look very odd. Plus, it's a nightmare having to sort out all those weight maps...
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited December 1969

the smoothing modifier along with transfer tool has certainly opened some cool posibilities for dynamic cloth
    esp with morphs created from dynamics in Poser
    I drape stuff in Poser export then rig with transfer tool

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

the smoothing modifier along with transfer tool has certainly opened some cool posibilities for dynamic cloth
    esp with morphs created from dynamics in Poser
    I drape stuff in Poser export then rig with transfer tool

The way I do it...rig in DS, export to Blender...drape.

But since I'm doing 99% stills, I export the posed piece and drape for final 'look'.

There are a couple of things that I've fitted, then sent to Blender and did an initial drape, then rigged...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    The catch there is that they are no longer dynamic clothes, they are conforming clothing. That means there's no drape. In the majority of cases when working with dynamic clothing, that means they're largely wrinkle-free as well, which can look very odd. Plus, it's a nightmare having to sort out all those weight maps...
    Acting as conforming clothing isn't really a catch, as long as I can work around the "no wrinkles" bit... but that might be beyond my current level of skill.

Any other workarounds?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Kerya said:

Acting as conforming clothing isn't really a catch, as long as I can work around the "no wrinkles" bit... but that might be beyond my current level of skill.

Any other workarounds?

Depends on what the item is...