Can't bring a Poser 7 figure and animation into Carrara

rskoverrskover Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to bring a poser figure and simple animation into Carrara 8.5. I saved the information out of Poser 7 as a .pz3 file. When I try to open it I get a simple stick figure that animates but nothing else. Should I export out of Poser? The only option I have for saving is .pz3. Thanks for the help.

rskover

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Carrara should open a PZ3 fine. But here's my workflow for that sort of thing:
    I save my Poser animations files directly as animated poses to my Pose library. I often save a whole bunch of them in one session. Then I load in the Poser figure (I don't do that much, as I usually use DAZ figures, but it worked when I tried it) into Carrara directly from the Figures library of the runtime, and then apply the animated pose to it while it's in Carrara.

Select the figure and double-click the pose, or you can drag the pose from the browser onto the figure.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

You can directly import your character in Carrara without passing by Poser.
    In Poser, you record animation .pz2 where you want then, in Carrara, you select your character, you look in the column of right side “Importation” and "Import/ preset (poses, material)" and you will seek your .pz2.
    Normaly, importing a scene .pz3 (in "File/Import") must work.

edited December 1969

DUDU, Sorry to bump into you... I didn't see you there!
    My fault... I just woke up. Man, I have to get my internal clock back on track!

Anyways, I wanted to add that I really like Poser for how it lets you save poses and animations - giving us complete control over what parts get recorded. It's been too long for me. I like Poser 7.

Before I got into some of my new techniques in Carrara, I used to make special animated poses to layer over my other animated poses. For example, I'd save a walk cycle that I set to a path - so it's a full path walk animation, which is most useful. But then I would realize later that I wanted some other body movements going on in the upper body, neck and head. So I would load that pose into Poser again, make the changes necessary, and save a new animated PZ2 of just the head, neck and whatever upper body parts were involved. Then when you load in the walk animation, you can simply load this one right over the top of it. And since that second pose file didn't include the hip, I could actually use this for other animations as well - since it will simply overwrite the current key frames.

But now I'm straying from the original question - sorry.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

DUDU, Sorry to bump into you... I didn't see you there!
    My fault... I just woke up. Man, I have to get my internal clock back on track!

Anyways, I wanted to add that I really like Poser for how it lets you save poses and animations - giving us complete control over what parts get recorded. It's been too long for me. I like Poser 7.

Before I got into some of my new techniques in Carrara, I used to make special animated poses to layer over my other animated poses. For example, I'd save a walk cycle that I set to a path - so it's a full path walk animation, which is most useful. But then I would realize later that I wanted some other body movements going on in the upper body, neck and head. So I would load that pose into Poser again, make the changes necessary, and save a new animated PZ2 of just the head, neck and whatever upper body parts were involved. Then when you load in the walk animation, you can simply load this one right over the top of it. And since that second pose file didn't include the hip, I could actually use this for other animations as well - since it will simply overwrite the current key frames.

But now I'm straying from the original question - sorry.

Hi DART,
    The more there are different opinions, the more one determines the question.
    Each one ha his organization of work but your idea to place the poses in the library is excellent!
    Me, I am accustomed to making a file with all the elements of the scene, on the other hand, I start to collect the NLA tracks in my library…

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

I think you need to go into your Poser Preferences, and there are a few settings there that are important about how a scene file gets saved. I believe you need to turn off file compression, and then there is something about how the FBMs (or some other morph controls?) are saved (internally or externally/referenced) you want them to be saved internally to the scene, so the figure "stands alone" in the scene without requiring any external references.... There might be some negative aspects to using a figure this way, I believe they no longer load and unload their morphs dynamically.

It has been a *very* long time since I tried to do it, so I apologize if my memory is a little fuzzy.

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

That's cool.
    I like saving my stuff in layers as much as possible, which allows me to reuse this stuff on other figures in different scenes and such.
    For example:
    When I save a "Scene" in Carrara, it seldom has any people in it, except for ambient life, if the scene calls for it. Like my Starship interiors usually have a bunch of Predatron's LoRez people performing various tasks, but I leave the main characters absent from the save - so that I have a reusable starting point for that scene.

When I use such a scene to create an animation with all of the characters involved, then I save that separately.

By saving animated poses to the Pose library, I can use those again and again. With the graph editor, not to mention the ability to change individual keyframes, I often find such reusable animation files will save me gobs of time. Especially since I also make the above mentioned overlapping (rather - overwriting) animations to further individualize any animation sequence. This stuff all become more and more reusable the more I make. Like locking the arms into position to hold a rifle, for example. I can apply that animation overwrite to nearly any imported animBlock or animated pose of any kind. The GoFigure Gestures collection is a great example of this. Make a guy stomping his feet in a fury, but his arms are flying about in anger! Darn, I wanted him to keep holding his rifle. Oh yeah... I have this animation overwrite file I can use! ;)

edited December 1969

When I save a "Scene" in Carrara, it seldom has any people in it, except for ambient life, if the scene calls for it. Like my Starship interiors usually have a bunch of Predatron's LoRez people performing various tasks, but I leave the main characters absent from the save - so that I have a reusable starting point for that scene.

That's interesting, treating those figures as part of the ambient scenery....

It's time for you to write another article for Cafe.... ;)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

If at all possible, you might want to bypass Poser altogether.

I sometimes use Poser figures in Carrara by simply opening them directly in the Carrara browser.

I have never had trouble doing it that way.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    If at all possible, you might want to bypass Poser altogether.

I sometimes use Poser figures in Carrara by simply opening them directly in the Carrara browser.

I have never had trouble doing it that way.

Same here.

edited December 1969

That's interesting, treating those figures as part of the ambient scenery....

It's time for you to write another article for Cafe.... ;)Coming write up! :smirk:

edited December 1969

It's time for you to write another article for Cafe.... ;)

Coming write up! :smirk:

:coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Wanna give it a test read?
    Major Production - My Production
    A Carrara Cafe article by enthusiast Dartanbeck