Looking for bone shaders for DAZ Studio - SOLVED

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
edited March 2014 in The Commons

I am looking for a bone shader to use in DAZ Studio 4.6; (and preferably it would also work in DAZ Studio 3.1). suitable for applying to skulls and other skeletal remains. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Charlie

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

You might be able to use the bone shaders in this set:

http://www.daz3d.com/gemologica

There's a seamless texture in the PoserWorld texture collections, as well, but that's not a full texture-- depending on what you are trying to do, you might want to try the subsurface scattering base.

Are you trying to create the look of particularly aged or dirty bones? Or gleaming white polished bones? Or sun-bleached dry bones?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
    edited March 2014

zigraphix said:
    You might be able to use the bone shaders in this set:

http://www.daz3d.com/gemologica

There's a seamless texture in the PoserWorld texture collections, as well, but that's not a full texture-- depending on what you are trying to do, you might want to try the subsurface scattering base.

Are you trying to create the look of particularly aged or dirty bones? Or gleaming white polished bones? Or sun-bleached dry bones?

Thanks for your reply.
    I knew there was one in Gemologica; but I assumed it was polished jewelry. I would like aged somewhat yellowed but not particularly dirty look, such as found on old bone pistol grips and knife handles or an animal skeleton that has been in a museum for many years

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

oh my, I"ve been wanting one of these for AGES LOL. Was just talking about it with a friend last week.

I'd really like to be able to recreate the look of the bones in the Them Bones series
    http://www.daz3d.com/more-of-them-bones

So if you ever find some, let me know! :D :D

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Here are a few random 1-second tests. Default DAZ Studio lighting, not attempt to adjust anything to make it look nice. the dragon and human skeleton on top left with default materials, bottom left is with Gemologica's Old Bone.dsa shader applied, bottom right is with it's tiles set to 1 instead of 10 to enlarge the materal.

Doubtless one could make it look much better with tweaking and proper lighting, but this was just to give you a general idea of where you might start if you used Gemologica. There is also a Bone 1.dsa and a Bone 2.dsa shader in the package.

screenshot,_bone.png
    1242 x 1041 - 875K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Sean;

The renders are very helpful. I did go ahead and get Gemologica yesterday when it was on sale.

Charlie

• PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

I made this to create the bone-grip sabre in my latest product (Fantasy weapons collection 2), but I thought I'd share it with others too :)

Included:
    1 Seamless 2048 x 2048 diffuse (color) map
    1 Seamless 2048 x 2048 bump map
    1 seamless 2048 x 2048 specular map

Can be used for commercial projects, but NO re-distribution! (Please, see the included readme file for more detailed terms of use!)

Probably not very suitable for large surfaces as the pattern becomes clearly visible...

Download here

BoneTexSample.jpg
    256 x 256 - 96K
    edited March 2014

WOW!!! Thanks so much. It is just what I was looking for, except it is a texture. Now If I can just figure out how to make it into a shader inDAZ Studio 4.6, so I can easily apply it. I suspect it can be done in Shader Builder or Shader Baker but I haven.t learned how to use them yet. Any suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Charlie

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited December 1969

Can't you just load the diffuse, bump and specular texture images into the corresponding channels in the Surface Tab, adjust strengths to your desired value, and save as Shader Preset?

edited March 2014

It worked! Thanks Barbult for suggesting how to do it. I've been away from DAZ Studio for a few years and my biggest problem was that I didn't realize I could input images into the parameters on the surface tab.

And thanks again to Porsimo for supplying those great images. The end result was just what I was looking for.

Charlie

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2014

I'm in the process of packing a set of nine UberSurface presets to upload.

Here's what one looks like...

Waiting for the final image to render.

Only took a bazillion tries...ShareCG wasn't being co-operative, tonight.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/75084/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Bone-UberSurface-Presets

Bone_01a.duf_.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 93K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

oh wonderful, thank you everyone