Any News on Carrara 9?

RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Expectations were set for Carrara 9 to be released Q1 2014.
It would be nice if Daz would do a drive by and update the Carrara community.

Comments

• Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

I have a suspicion that DAZ 3D was a bit too fast on estimating the time tables for to do list.

They picked a very small time gap to introduce Carrara 9,

But who knows, maybe they have got more man power to work on it. Lets keep fingers crossed for that. Would be great to see more cool developments going on on Carrara.

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes , I would very much be shocked if that timeframe happens. I mean its about to be 2qt soon ----

It aways would be nice to hear from the folks in Utah on any going ons ---its just not their style so I do not expect that either.

Rich

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I don't even think it's gonna happen this year. I know that I'm the optimist around here, but it's just too silent from the development department to be a reality for 2014 IMHO. But I've been wrong before.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

They still haven't fixed C8.5 yet.

I hope they wait to release C9 when they have autofit fixed and some of the other problems with C8.5

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    They still haven't fixed C8.5 yet.

I hope they wait to release C9 when they have autofit fixed and some of the other problems with C8.5

Agreed
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

I have Carrara 8.5 running pretty well on Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks but will admit I am not a pro user. Usually if I have a problem I can figure out how to avoid it the next time around.

The render node (for distributive rendering) is busted, that is true. Daz is aware of and admits the problem; I contacted them in October about it; last reply was late December and they said they did not know when it would be fixed.

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

It would still be nice to hear some progress updates.

I still feel that the Carrara community is one of most neglected groups I've ever seen.
    Especially when you contrast the activity of the community to the interaction, involvement and contact initiated by Daz.

It would be great to feel that their is some interest in our thoughts and preferences for Carrara development.

Like clock work, I am sure that as fiscal Q1 comes to a close they will look our direction for additional sales. Sad.

Is it as obvious to others as it is to me?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Realtime said:
    It would still be nice to hear some progress updates.

I still feel that the Carrara community is one of most neglected groups I've ever seen.
    Especially when you contrast the activity of the community to the interaction, involvement and contact initiated by Daz.

It would be great to feel that their is some interest in our thoughts and preferences for Carrara development.

Like clock work, I am sure that as fiscal Q1 comes to a close they will look our direction for additional sales. Sad.

Is it as obvious to others as it is to me?

There were some DAZ folks that poked their head in from time to time, and most people were positive, but there were a few that used it as a way to vent about their favorite feature not being updated, a perceived slight, or some conspiracy or other. They didn't like the abuse, so it's easier not to hang out here. It's too bad, because I always like getting news and updates, or even some advice on how to use certain features. I don't blame them. If all I seemed to get was crap from people- even just a few, I certainly would think twice about opening myself up to it.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited March 2014

Must be that they are satisfied with the level of sales. It strikes me that the big investment in R&D gets wasted because marketing releases incomplete products that have no hope in competing. Imagine if User manuals or paid support were actually AVAILABLE? DAZ apps may actually get recommended for professional use. As it stands the product is really limited to the hobbiest market. An additional 10% in refinement & QA could yield quadruple the revenue.
    Sigh... its obvious not DAZ is not IPO bound

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One would have to wonder if Daz somehow owned Maya --would they act the same way? Now that was a hypotethical bombshell. Smiles. Sometimes my mind gets a little crazy.

Actually, I have to say it seems the last six -nine months or so in these forums has been pretty positive. Lots of talk on making stuff, learning stuff, how to model things, Contests , plugins use, external renderers, etc and not a lot of complaining -well compared to a couple of years ago. Its actually pretty refreshing and a breathe of very nice air. So good job community !!

There are a number of very talented artist and technicians here now who frequent and are in the main very supportive of things . Which makes things very cool indeed.

So , I would say to DAZ folks --come on back here now and then . we all would surely enjoy the communication.

Rich

• SauronLivezSauronLivez Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

So this may be some quixotic wishful thinking: but how about as the grand finale to the March Madness DAZ offers a door buster sale on the newly unveiled Carrara 9? A great way to close out March Madness, and meet their deadline for Carrara 9 all at the same time.

I sort of doubt it, because I suspect DAZ would've released some kind of beta for us to play with if they were truly close to a release, and I don't see anything.

Well, at least a guy can hope! :) I patiently and eagerly await C9!

edited March 2014

There were some DAZ folks that poked their head in from time to time, and most people were positive, but there were a few that used it as a way to vent about their favorite feature not being updated, a perceived slight, or some conspiracy or other. They didn't like the abuse, so it's easier not to hang out here. It's too bad, because I always like getting news and updates, or even some advice on how to use certain features. I don't blame them. If all I seemed to get was crap from people- even just a few, I certainly would think twice about opening myself up to it.

I guess one problem is the lack of communication in the FIRST place is what upsets people, so when someone finally does show up they get hit pretty hard.

The next problem is the people they send in have no authority to speak on exactly what's happening or why things happen, so that leads to problems when people press for answers.

You're right, I liked getting updates too. I don't blame the DAZ crew for not hanging out much, but I also don't blame the upset people.

DAZ should let some people who have genuine authority to speak, to well, speak.

Post edited by tsarist on
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

I guess one problem is the lack of communication in the FIRST place is what upsets people, so when someone finally does show up they get hit pretty hard.

The next problem is the people they send in have no authority to speak on exactly what's happening or why things happen, so that leads to problems when people press for answers.

You're right, I liked getting updates too. I don't blame the DAZ crew for not hanging out much, but I also don't blame the upset people.

DAZ should let some people who have genuine authority to speak, well, speak.

A agree to an extent, but there were some that weren't satisfied with any answer and just wanted to argue a point, with yeah buts, or would actually look for unrelated threads where the DAZ folks posted and continue riding them. Not everybody to be sure, but sometimes all it takes is one or two people to ruin it for a hundred.

edited December 1969

or would actually look for unrelated threads where the DAZ folks posted and continue riding them.

Seriously?

Okay, I didn't know that was happening.

I have enough trouble tracking my OWN threads down, much less hunting other people down. LOL!

edited March 2014

tsarist said:
    or would actually look for unrelated threads where the DAZ folks posted and continue riding them.

Seriously?

Okay, I didn't know that was happening.

I have enough trouble tracking my OWN threads down, much less hunting other people down. LOL!

I won't name names, but I know of two people that did it.

Post edited by evilproducer on