February, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,799

I know there is a ghost light kit (can't afford) but is there any manual way of making light invisible in reflections?
    Today i was free so i was messing around in daz and did this scene but these two light reflections on ground bugs me a little bit. I don't know why.

I still haven't updated shaders (i am lazy) and i might not to do it for a while cause i feel like i don't need to update them for this render. i am unable to get a close up shot on model as i want both house and car in scene. i created rain with atmocam2 and i did install gimp but i will try creating rain with primitives method when i am working on my own projects besides i gotta get some use out of atmocam2. For this challenge i want to keep everything inside daz alone except a denoiser in gimp in the final render. i still haven't figured out how to change rain direction but i am on it.

- picture was a veiwport real time render inside daz with 100 iteration max thats why such a bad quality.

Ha, I like that one, it tells a story, how she ran to open the gate, that's why the car door is open, because she wanted back in the car quick, and then her umbrella goes flying.

I didn't know the amtocam2 could get you such a nice rain effect, I would keep that!.

Now about the gostlight reflections, that can only be adressed by moving the lights to a different place or put them in a different angle, so that the reflection doesn't hit your camera.

I only got the ghost lights recently so I'm no expert with them, but I'm sure there is someone who can help you with that.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Damn now that i think about it. why is car door open when there is such heavy rain. I am noob.enlightenedcool

Here are some pics of changes i did along the way.

Edit: On second thought i guess she is in hurry and made some blunders like dropping umbrella and leaving door open. i gotta think of a nice title for being clumsy and in hurry. devil

I think the car door open can work. If she was in a hurry, she mihgt have left it/forgot it. Or maybe the wind blew the umbrella from her hand before she got a chance to close the door and then she ran after the umbrella ignoring the door.

Very nice renders by the way, Those 2 lights do look out of place.

As a composition piece I like the last render camera angle the most. For the lights, the one from the distance does look better.

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited February 2020
    Linwelly said:

Ha, I like that one, it tells a story, how she ran to open the gate, that's why the car door is open, because she wanted back in the car quick, and then her umbrella goes flying.

I didn't know the amtocam2 could get you such a nice rain effect, I would keep that!.

Now about the gostlight reflections, that can only be adressed by moving the lights to a different place or put them in a different angle, so that the reflection doesn't hit your camera.

I only got the ghost lights recently so I'm no expert with them, but I'm sure there is someone who can help you with that.

Atmocam2 rain is nice but its more visible on white areas and less on actual focus of scene. It may be cause i am still a rookie at atmocam2. Once i figure out how to use cameras and depth thing then maybe that may improve the render more or i could go ahead and add primitive plane rain method you showed me. I think atmocam2 also works like your plane method and the difference is probably that atmocam uses a big dome. Its only 7th feb. I am going to start focusing on gobo and light gels and will shift working on these 2 from time to time. That way i wont get bored and i will have plenty of time to make changes the more i learn about lighting and cameras.

I think the car door open can work. If she was in a hurry, she mihgt have left it/forgot it. Or maybe the wind blew the umbrella from her hand before she got a chance to close the door and then she ran after the umbrella ignoring the door.

Very nice renders by the way, Those 2 lights do look out of place.

As a composition piece I like the last render camera angle the most. For the lights, the one from the distance does look better.

I am glad you like it and here is a better quality render.

Edit - the rain is only in dome surface but there is some kind of volumetric effect inside. I think I will start looking at atmocam2 threads. I am so lazy that I don't even try learning stuff the right way even when I know there are guides and stuff.
    Rain 00.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 260K
    Post edited by 0996ps on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,052

I really like that pic :)

The only thing I'm not completely convinced about is the umbrella: the rain gives a "soft" effect to the pic and the umbrella looks too much like a solid black spot painted on the pic for me.

It might look better if you could see more details of it (maybe make the fabric lighter, and/or add a little more light in front of it), or if the fabric was a bit more transparent / transluscent so it didn't look as solid.

edited February 2020
    Leana said:

I really like that pic :)

The only thing I'm not completely convinced about is the umbrella: the rain gives a "soft" effect to the pic and the umbrella looks too much like a solid black spot painted on the pic for me.

It might look better if you could see more details of it (maybe make the fabric lighter, and/or add a little more light in front of it), or if the fabric was a bit more transparent / transluscent so it didn't look as solid.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I have a tn panel gaming monitor and the colors are way different. I saw the pic on phone with superamoled display. It does look way darker than what I see on PC. On my PC I see light passing through umbrella. I had this on my mind for couple days now when I noticed color difference in gell light portrait I was messing around with. What I see on my PC may not be the best colors. I will try to figure out a way to get better results soon.
    Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited February 2020

Gel lighing i was trying. I used a gem shader on primitive from 4 angles. Its not what i wanted. Just a test to get an idea of gel lighting. This one is weak compared to what i imagined. The actual render will be way different and with a different background scene. Character will be same though.

This is way too random and little for a final render but i felt like showing it.

Gel Lighting 001.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 153K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • This is definitely one area I need to really work on, in the year that I have been using DAZ studio, lighting has been the one thing that I have struggled with, that is why I have very few interior scenes. So any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This goes with my render titled "How long have you been in there?"

This is my start for the beginners challenge lighting

Title: I'm the one that Found Him...

I found him.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 670K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@TrisValentine, a true Ghost Light shouldn't cause reflections. The mesh is nearly invisible and the light isn't specular. That's one of the reasons Ghost Lights are so effective. When you walk into a darkened room, it's hard to see everything at first, then your eyes adjust, widening the pupils and the environment appears to be lighter. Adding a Ghost Light should brighten the object or scene in the same way your eyes adjust to the dark, making things easier to see.

In the original post for the beginner's level, there is a link to a tutorial on Ghost Lights from the PA who went on to create the Ghost Light products. To say you some time, here is the link: Ghost Lights: Interior lighting Tutorial.

edited February 2020
    L'Adair said:

@TrisValentine, a true Ghost Light shouldn't cause reflections. The mesh is nearly invisible and the light isn't specular. That's one of the reasons Ghost Lights are so effective. When you walk into a darkened room, it's hard to see everything at first, then your eyes adjust, widening the pupils and the environment appears to be lighter. Adding a Ghost Light should brighten the object or scene in the same way your eyes adjust to the dark, making things easier to see.

In the original post for the beginner's level, there is a link to a tutorial on Ghost Lights from the PA who went on to create the Ghost Light products. To say you some time, here is the link: Ghost Lights: Interior lighting Tutorial.

i actually opened that thread couple hours ago and i can't believe i missed the part about how to create it. thanks for telling me this.

Post edited by 0996ps on
  • Version C here adding another character a the table. At first I tried to have a character walking up to the table while checking something on a wrist mounted computer, but the lighting was all out of sorts when I tried the render. The sun from the HDRI was somehow inside the room and I have now clue as to what was happening so I went back to version b to try again and this is what I came up with.

feb2020c.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited February 2020

Gel lighing i was trying. I used a gem shader on primitive from 4 angles. Its not what i wanted. Just a test to get an idea of gel lighting. This one is weak compared to what i imagined. The actual render will be way different and with a different background scene. Character will be same though.

This is way too random and little for a final render but i felt like showing it.

I really like what you have done with your first scene.  Leaving it and working on something else is a good idea.  Sometimes when you come back to an image after some time away you look at it with fresh eyes and can see things you missed before.  Or your figure out a solution to a nagging problem.

This is a good start with gel lights.  I will wait to see how it looks after you have made your adjustments.

This is definitely one area I need to really work on, in the year that I have been using DAZ studio, lighting has been the one thing that I have struggled with, that is why I have very few interior scenes. So any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This goes with my render titled "How long have you been in there?"

This is my start for the beginners challenge lighting

Title: I'm the one that Found Him...

You have a very strong spotlight on the male figure's face and a light in the room behind the doors.  Are these the only 2 light sources?  Is this a closed set or is there an open side?

edited February 2020

Saw some pics of umbrellas with light on google and they look incredible.
    So i did this. anyway 2 am here so i am going for bed.

If i had better detailed umbrella i could have done some really good lighting on it. I wonder if i can create prop for daz studio.

used a ghost light inside umbrella for little bit of light.

01.PNG
    991 x 560 - 1M
    02.PNG
    996 x 564 - 1M
    Post edited by 0996ps on

Version C here adding another character a the table. At first I tried to have a character walking up to the table while checking something on a wrist mounted computer, but the lighting was all out of sorts when I tried the render. The sun from the HDRI was somehow inside the room and I have now clue as to what was happening so I went back to version b to try again and this is what I came up with.

A perfect example of why it is a good idea to save multiple versions of your work.

• You have a very strong spotlight on the male figure's face and a light in the room behind the doors.  Are these the only 2 light sources?  Is this a closed set or is there an open side?

@Kismet2012: The set that I am using is Jack Tomalin's Purgation, this scene is outside the entrance so it is open but with a high roof and lots of columns.

As for lights I have:

3 spotlights ( flashlight-spot on male,for some reason the light does not show on the flashlight in the females hand, interior of room, both of those are white light, up in the roof tinted blue to match the moonlight for a fill.) The flashlight is the 22 caliber light from The Firearm Pack it works well for a small flashlight, and I don't have an actual flashlight in my runtime.

Rim light rig from Rim light rig Iray by Marshian- not sure if I have this one placed properly though given the proximity to the doors.

I am using the Bright Moonlight Lights from the Genesis 2 starter essentials, and a second distant light place just up right from the camera, tinted blue to match the moonlight for my environmental lights.

• here is my go at doing gel's and gobos lighting. i made my owne light props to obtian the efects i am after. Was going to use all cartoon charactors but am in the prosesse of convertingsome of my charactors over to gen3so had them on my system andput them in to.

1ew.jpg
    1352 x 713 - 648K
    2ew.jpg
    1354 x 721 - 354K
    3ew.jpg
    1351 x 716 - 334K
    LightBobble.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • here is my go at doing gel's and gobos lighting. i made my owne light props to obtian the efects i am after. Was going to use all cartoon charactors but am in the prosesse of convertingsome of my charactors over to gen3so had them on my system andput them in to.

You have a very strong spotlight on the male figure's face and a light in the room behind the doors.  Are these the only 2 light sources?  Is this a closed set or is there an open side?

@Kismet2012: The set that I am using is Jack Tomalin's Purgation, this scene is outside the entrance so it is open but with a high roof and lots of columns.

As for lights I have:

3 spotlights ( flashlight-spot on male,for some reason the light does not show on the flashlight in the females hand, interior of room, both of those are white light, up in the roof tinted blue to match the moonlight for a fill.) The flashlight is the 22 caliber light from The Firearm Pack it works well for a small flashlight, and I don't have an actual flashlight in my runtime.

Rim light rig from Rim light rig Iray by Marshian- not sure if I have this one placed properly though given the proximity to the doors.

I am using the Bright Moonlight Lights from the Genesis 2 starter essentials, and a second distant light place just up right from the camera, tinted blue to match the moonlight for my environmental lights.

I missed the "flashlight" in her hand.  The light on his face makes sense now.  I do not own Purgation but I do have the firearms pack.  I will play with the 22 caliber light to see if I can get it to glow so the light source is a little more obvious.

I see from the promo images for Jack's Purgation that there are lights with the set, including one above the door, which is off camera in your image.  Are those lights turned on?

I do not have Marshian's Rim Light Rig either.

You seem to have lots of lights in this scene.  Something I do is turn off all the lights, then turn them on 1 at a time to see what the light is doing.  Is it providing the effect I want?  Is it bright enough? Is it too bright?  Then I start applying them in pairs and gradually get to the point where they are all on.  If a light isn't doing what I want or isn't contributing to the scene it can either be left off or removed completely.

here is my go at doing gel's and gobos lighting. i made my owne light props to obtian the efects i am after. Was going to use all cartoon charactors but am in the prosesse of convertingsome of my charactors over to gen3so had them on my system andput them in to.

I haven't seen cubes being used for gobo's before but you have achieved some interesting light effects.  I cannot quite make out what the boys are looking at but I really like the sinister feel you are achieving. 

edited February 2020

NOT AN ENTRY
    According to challenge rules:
    .4. Submit no more then 2 images to any one challenge.

So i can submit 1 more for basic and intermedite challenge right? more the merrier.

Another one for begginer lighting challenge? its just a test so far.

Ghost 001.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 535K
    Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited February 2020

As for lights I have:

Did you change the light and apply the iray uber shader?  I had to do that to the prop I loaded from The Firearm Pack.  Once I did that I changed the light lens to an emissive which gives the end that glow effect.

The "Flashlight" is the only light source in this image.

Flashlight Test.png
    1000 x 800 - 213K
    Flashlight Settings.png
    1920 x 1034 - 271K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited February 2020

So i can submit 1 more for basic and intermedite challenge right? more the merrier.

You are correct...2 images for the Beginner Challenge and 2 for the Intermediate Challenge.  That allows each NU 4 images per month.

I like the start you have made on this image.  One thing I noticed is your female figure is floating a bit above the bed.

edited February 2020

You are correct...2 images for the Beginner Challenge and 2 for the Intermediate Challenge.  That allows each NU 4 images per month.

I like the start you have made on this image.  One thing I noticed is your female figure is floating a bit above the bed.

Yep i was trying to adjust her head and hands on pillows so rotated it a bit. but i have no idea how to make those bump things on bed. like how to make it show figure weights on bed. The bed is from dream home. I also have to figure out dforce. i have lots of dforce clothing and i am unable to use them since i don't know about it. Can we create a primitive plane and use dforce on it or i have to buy a dforce blanket in future for beds?

What i wanted to do was having a female or male mage holding a gem inside a spherical object which has grills. That gem was glowing and shining light everywhere through that sphere(natural gobo?) and it was summoning spirits. Too bad i suck. This render was hardly 1-2 hour work. Whole day i fixed dream home shaders. It was tiring.

also it was very hard to wrap that necklace around her hands cause there arent adjustment morphs and its supposed to go on neck. Her face and expression is off. Ghost clothing isnt dforce simulated and i suck at making gel lights and gobos so far.

Edit: I am fine with extensive reviewing. like i can tell lots of things wrong in my render but i only get pointed out for small things which makes me kinda confused about my judgements so go on and point out errors as much as you want.

Post edited by 0996ps on

Yep i was trying to adjust her head and hands on pillows so rotated it a bit. but i have no idea how to make those bump things on bed. like how to make it show figure weights on bed. The bed is from dream home. I also have to figure out dforce. i have lots of dforce clothing and i am unable to use them since i don't know about it. Can we create a primitive plane and use dforce on it or i have to buy a dforce blanket in future for beds?

What i wanted to do was having a female or male mage holding a gem inside a spherical object which has grills. That gem was glowing and shining light everywhere through that sphere(natural gobo?) and it was summoning spirits. Too bad i suck. This render was hardly 1-2 hour work. Whole day i fixed dream home shaders. It was tiring.

also it was very hard to wrap that necklace around her hands cause there arent adjustment morphs and its supposed to go on neck. Her face and expression is off. Ghost clothing isnt dforce simulated and i suck at making gel lights and gobos so far.

Edit: I am fine with extensive reviewing. like i can tell lots of things wrong in my render but i only get pointed out for small things which makes me kinda confused about my judgements so go on and complain as much as you want.

I understand you want to deal with all the different issues in this image and I do not want to stifle your creativity.  We concentrate on different subjects each month and build on those skills over the course of a year.

But here are some tutorials if you want to try dForce on the bed:

This is probably the most comprehensive thread on dForce in the forums:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial/p1

• Furtive Witch Cleric Mk1

2020-02_Furtive_Witch_Cleric_Mk1

This was based loosely on three characters from Dark Souls's intro cutscene. I haven't really used spotlights or pointlights before; preferring instead meshlights and skydomes. Here I plan on mixing meshlights with (what would you call these? Scene lights? Old school lights?) lights, and figuring out how to apply gels / gobos to the latter. My current setup has our witch (cleric? furtive pygmy?) lit from the front by the glowing ember (currently a spherical meshlight) and from above (behind?) by a blueish spotlight to give a cold / night time feel. The spotlight is currently set to 200%, and still barely visible. Once I get that working, I'm thinking about putting a gobo on it to make vertical or slanted shadows like the bars of a cell. But testing a gobo is a little difficult when its light isn't visible. It would probably also help for me to put in a backdrop that light can bounce off of, rather than an infinite void that consumes all.

The posing and facial expression can definitely use work, but I'll tinker with those as I iterate on this month's focus, the lighting. That said, I certainly won't ignore any suggestions that go beyond that.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

You might find this and the following posts on my thread helpful.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2898646/#Comment_2898646

edited February 2020

Furtive Witch Cleric Mk1

2020-02_Furtive_Witch_Cleric_Mk1

This was based loosely on three characters from Dark Souls's intro cutscene. I haven't really used spotlights or pointlights before; preferring instead meshlights and skydomes. Here I plan on mixing meshlights with (what would you call these? Scene lights? Old school lights?) lights, and figuring out how to apply gels / gobos to the latter. My current setup has our witch (cleric? furtive pygmy?) lit from the front by the glowing ember (currently a spherical meshlight) and from above (behind?) by a blueish spotlight to give a cold / night time feel. The spotlight is currently set to 200%, and still barely visible. Once I get that working, I'm thinking about putting a gobo on it to make vertical or slanted shadows like the bars of a cell. But testing a gobo is a little difficult when its light isn't visible. It would probably also help for me to put in a backdrop that light can bounce off of, rather than an infinite void that consumes all.

The posing and facial expression can definitely use work, but I'll tinker with those as I iterate on this month's focus, the lighting. That said, I certainly won't ignore any suggestions that go beyond that.

From what I can see the pose looks natural, especially the tilt of the head.  If you are going for more of an expression of wonder perhaps a slight widening of her eyes and softening of her mouth.

For the spotlight you will get more by adjusting the Luminous Flux number in Iray.  I added a spotlight with a blueish tinge to the earlier image testing the Flashlight.  It is creating a very strong rim light.  Probably too strong but I wanted to make sure it was apparent where the light was coming from.  The first image is just the spotlight.  The 2nd has the flashlight turned back on and the 3rd is a screenshot of the light settings for the spotlight.  I also changed the light geometry from a point light to a disc.

Editted to add:  I do not have any background.  I had a cube in the first test for the flashlight but turned it off to get as close to the same settings as you had as possible.

Spotlight Test.png
    1000 x 800 - 112K
    Spotlight Test 2.png
    1000 x 800 - 209K
    Spotlight Test Screenshot.png
    1920 x 1043 - 183K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@TrisValentine, I'd also like to point out, most of the beds I have use as few polygons as possible. To use dForce, (or dForms, Mesh Grabber, or creating morphs via another program like Hexagon,) you're going to need numerous polygons. However, your figure is lying on a cover of some sort, and the fact it's not flat means it does have a lot of polys. It may be possible to use dForce on that cover to get the effect of your figure sinking into the softness of the bed.

Kismet mentioned the comprehensive dForce thread. That thread uses both a table of contents and an index! Rich covers how to make a pillow "plump up" around the head of a figure. That information may be just what you need for this image. That topic starts here and there is a follow up here.

• @Kismet2021. The boy is holding a magical lightbulb. Because i wonted the lightbulb to be the mane light sorce ineeded to stop bleed from the spot lights, heance the boxes. I wasent going for a sinester feel but looking at it youre probeble right. :)

• edited February 2020

Hello all, I'm entering the newbie challenge.

Using Daz Studio Pro 4.12 (somehow got this to work on a macbook air with 4GB of ram using 3Delight, bootcamp and windows 7, eat that iray!)

I call this "Velma's Turn"

Anway, I have a little experience with Daz in the past (iray), but not much experience with 3delight. I thought I would try 3delight as I like the lighting and comic styles I've seen done with it, more so than the somewhat plastic doll look of iray. My goal is to illustrate some short stories I have in mind, starting with this parody of Scooby Doo and the gang. 

But one problem I'm having issues with some shaders. I've noticed it seems that whenever I have anything with an "omUber" shader on it, it turns all or most of the other skins white in the scene, even things that just use normal daz shaders. 

Here's what I mean. Scooby Doo is the only one that has some omUber shaders on his fur coat. (I didn't apply this shader it was already on the coat when I loaded 3DL Dog 8 textures, I just changed his diffuse textures but everything else I left as standard Dog 8 3DL textures). The scene renders fine before I add Scooby to the scene as seen below. Then I add Scooby to the scene and the whole scene gets screwy. I've tried opening, closing, resaving, rerendering the scene. It does it everytime.  

So is there a way to convert this omUber shader to a normal 3delight shader without too much trouble? I have Scooby's coat just how I want it.  I thought it was a regular 3Delight shader but I guess it must really be something that 4.12 does not like. From past experience I thought there were just iray uber shaders for iray and then daz default shaders for 3delight. The omUber thing is new to me so I don't know whats going on here exactly.

And I know for certain it is the omUber causing the problems, becuase I had a similar problem with Fred's hair at first. It had an omUber 3DL shader on it from the vendor, but it was also making the skins turn white, so I changed the shader to one of SWAMs old 3Delight shaders and it fixed it  (Its not a SWAM hair by the way, its from a vendor over at Rendo, so not a problem with SWAM's hair, but thankfully shaders from SWAM worked on it). 

Velma's Turn 01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Velma's Turn 02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Mister Daddy Longlegs on