German WW2 Uniform

We have a lot of ww2 stuff such as battlefields, us uniforms vehicles and equipment , german equipment, tanks and vehicles (Me 109, R75 Motorcycle etc), but no german uniforms. Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Part of the problem there is that some people think that it has to be an SS uniform,  and that variant is actually banned in some countires

• Chohole said:

Part of the problem there is that some people think that it has to be an SS uniform,  and that variant is actually banned in some countires

The solution is simple: make it an ordinary Wehrmacht-Uniform.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited January 2020

There are both old military German, Russian, American, British, & French uniforms from pre-1950 at Renderosity. They are about the same price or cheaper than here but made for Michael 4. Some of them are made in a modeling style used for video games and animations. Mostly by Tannebaum & Cybertenko.

The materials are dated and the texture bumps/maps/patterns tend to be scaled too large but they are a good starting point if you want to go Hollywood. They do do autofit well enough if you autofit Michael 4 clothing on Genesis with Michael 4 as the original source & then autofit that autofit on Genesis 2 with Genesis as the original source & then autofit that autofit to Genesis 3 with Genesis 2 as the original autofit & so on through all the generations of DAZ Genesis.

Actually, I've bought a couple & because clothing in those days wasn't skin tight they uniforms were modeled loose fit and they look good autofit to Genesis 8. If you were to fix the badges & ranks to not distort (which still happens with Genesis 8 clothing made for Genesis 8) and update the textures to be texture scale right and iRay PBS correct they'd be awesome. Well awesome so long as they always wore their jackets in a few cases because the shirt is only modeled as a bib. I'm talking the tannebaum dress uniforms. I haven't bought any of the combat uniforms yet. The cybertenko sailor uniforms are completely modeled but could stand some material set updates along the lines PBR compliant.

I've not tried to dForce any of them but they look like they could handle it better than the typical DAZ Store clothing if you selected the colission layers correctly.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2020

Here's a render I did for a previous thread on this topic. It's the Tannenbaum M4 SS uniform autofitted to a G8M and quickly converted to Iray. It needs more work on the metallic parts and the gloss levels, but gives an idea of what's possible.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Nonesuch, thanks a lot for the tips, but still this is a lack of DAZ and Chris, they don't want an SS uniform. So why don't offer an ordinary wehrmacht unform in Genesis 8 (like the US counterpart), Chohole?

edited January 2020
    edringer said:

Nonesuch, thanks a lot for the tips, but still this is a lack of DAZ and Chris, they don't want an SS uniform. So why don't offer an ordinary wehrmacht unform in Genesis 8 (like the US counterpart), Chohole?

All I did was say that it was part of the reason why they are not available,  Chis' image does not appear to be truly the idosyncratic SS uniform with the swastikas etc,  Extremist symbology is very emotive,  especially this side of the pond. Although rules are relaxing somewaht it is still possible to be jailed for displaying certain items

•  

Chohole said:
    edringer said:

Nonesuch, thanks a lot for the tips, but still this is a lack of DAZ and Chris, they don't want an SS uniform. So why don't offer an ordinary wehrmacht unform in Genesis 8 (like the US counterpart), Chohole?

All I did was say that it was part of the reason why they are not available,  Chis' image does not appear to be truly the idosyncratic SS uniform with the swastikas etc,  Extremist symbology is very emotive,  especially this side of the pond. Although rules are relaxing somewaht it is still possible to be jailed for displaying certain items

So leave the extremist symbols like swastikas out. No one needs them.

edringer said:

Chohole said:
    edringer said:

absolutely

• To me I have no problem them... they make outstanding bullseyes and I find the concept of being frightened by symbols to be rather pathetic.

As for the subject at hand... look up "German Infantry WWII by tannenbaum" on renderosity.

It handles just about everything you'd need. Weapons, clothing, and has uniforms covering early to late war.

It's exactly what you are looking for.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,377
    edited February 2020

what ever happened to tannenbaum?  His/her stuff was really high quality.

Their fixation on german military paraphernalia maybe speaks to some weird fetishisation of that stuff, but all the same.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Chohole said:
    edringer said:

Chohole said:
    edringer said:

absolutely

So why can't you make a german uniform without nazy symbols? As I said we have a lot of ww2 stuff such as battlefields, US-uniforms vehicles and equipment , german equipment, tanks and vehicles (Me 109, R75 Motorcycle (by the way: the DAZ Original 'R75 Motorcycle Plus' contains a helmet with a swastika and SS-runes on it: not my taste!) etc), but no german uniforms. Doesn't make sense in my opinion.

micky69 said:
    Chohole said:
    edringer said:

Chohole said:
    edringer said:

absolutely

So why can't you make a german uniform without nazy symbols? As I said we have a lot of ww2 stuff such as battlefields, US-uniforms vehicles and equipment , german equipment, tanks and vehicles (Me 109, R75 Motorcycle (by the way: the DAZ Original 'R75 Motorcycle Plus' contains a helmet with a swastika and SS-runes on it: not my taste!) etc), but no german uniforms. Doesn't make sense in my opinion.

As I said part of the problem was the Iconic Nazi uniform.  When someone did offer one for sale  there was some hoohah about it, mostly emanating from our side of the pond where - until very recently - it has been forbidden to use nazi symbols, flags etc, even in video games, and it was removed from the store.  Was an explanation of the lack,

• There are, as far as I am aware, legal restrictions on what can be shown in some places - it isn't a matter of whether people are offended or frightened. To what extent that actually would prohibit the creation of uniforms I don't know, and detailed speculation is somewhat pointless. I am going to ask that people drop this aspect of the thread, just bear in midn that there may be factors other than personal taste that play a role.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    edited February 2020
    Chohole said:

As I said part of the problem was the Iconic Nazi uniform.  When someone did offer one for sale  there was some hoohah about it, mostly emanating from our side of the pond where - until very recently - it has been forbidden to use nazi symbols, flags etc, even in video games, and it was removed from the store.  Was an explanation of the lack,

*sigh* There's always some idiot who will make a hoohah about everything... frown

There are, as far as I am aware, legal restrictions on what can be shown in some places - it isn't a matter of whether people are offended or frightened. To what extent that actually would prohibit the creation of uniforms I don't know, and detailed speculation is somewhat pointless. I am going to ask that people drop this aspect of the thread, just bear in midn that there may be factors other than personal taste that play a role.

Welp, in that case... *points up*

The Uniform on Rendo I posted is basically exactly what OP was asking for. Will take some auto-fitting but it's a WW2 german Heer uniform. Even has an expansion that adds more textures, items, and heavy weapons.

Convert to Iray and it should work just fine.

• Thanks for the explanations, I can perfectly understand the reasons now.

• micky69 said:

Chris, they don't want an SS uniform. 

I know. Tannenbaum also does an ordinary Wehrmacht uniform on the other site, I just don't happen to own it. I posted a render of what one of Tannenbaum's uniforms looks like on modern figures just to illustrate that it's possible to use them in that way.

Chohole said:

Chris' image does not appear to be truly the idosyncratic SS uniform with the swastikas etc,

Tannenbaum's product does come with a swastika armband if you want/need it, I just chose not to use it in my render.