Modify existing clothes from Daz3D Studio in Hexagon

Hi,

I want to make small changes to existing clothes like Basicware T-Shirt. Especially I want to cut a hole from it. I have two questions there.

I transferred it from DS to Hexagon. Then I tried to delete faces where the hole should be. That works, but gives that "rectangled" edges, as I can only select complete faces. I can the smooth the edges with the tweak tool.

Question 1: is there an easier way to cut a smooth hole into an object? Some kind of drawing a spline or something and cut it from the shirt. Or is there a possibility to even cut a complete object at a plane which goes through it?

After I have edited the shirt I tried to send it back to DS. DS asks if I want to create a morph or a prop. If I select morph it says that does not work because the geometry has changed. So I can only create a prop. But a prop is no cloth. I lost the ability to fit it to a figure and I lost the textures and materials.

Question 2: how can I reimport the cloth to DS so that it is fully functional?

I watched several tutorials how to create clothes from scratch. They all explaned in detail how to import a figure as a "puppet" and how to create the clothing item. But I found no tutoriall which describes how to import it as areal clothing item into DS.

Comments

• atoxicatoxic Posts: 124

Hi, if you only want to have a hole in a piece of clothing, and you are using DS - did you ever consider to use trans maps?
    DS allows you to add transparency maps (under "opacity" in the surface pane). Creating such a map is normaly quicker than reconstruction of a mesh.

• edited February 2020
    Yes, I tried transparency, but it looks weird because there is no cloth thickness. I think, I have fold the border of the hole to get a rim. The hole is only a current example, I would like to know which is the general workflow to alter a geometry of something and save it as new prop, figure ir something.
    Post edited by hugo.simon_3cda0e2ba0 on
  • I do not think you will be able to do this with a morph. One of the big "No Nos" is you cannot add or abstact the geometry, so deleting faces will not work.

• It shouldn't be a morph. I want to create a new clothing item from an existing, with a slightly different geometrie. Nothing added, so there should be no problems with groups or UV mapping or rigging. I thought of loading geometry, edit it and reload it again.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

It shouldn't be a morph. I want to create a new clothing item from an existing, with a slightly different geometrie. Nothing added, so there should be no problems with groups or UV mapping or rigging. I thought of loading geometry, edit it and reload it again.

You will need to rerig it after importing back into DS if you remove or add to the geometry.

• I wonder if putting a simple displacement would work as a cheap trick. using gradents to go from grey-white-black to help the edges pop.