Question about Flint Locks

ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I suppose this fits in the WTF category of questions but here goes...

I was after an antique handgun weapon for a character I was developing and after looking at the Steampunk and similar items I settled on the Flint lock set.
However due to its age the only poses are for V3 and M3, and my character is G2F. The guns are still pretty good for their age but the weapon I chose seems to have what resembles another "trigger" on the handle following the trigger guard. I've seen a similar thing on pictures of a couple of old rifles.

For the record I'll now state I know nothing about guns....
I assume this "trigger" shape is form of grip and what I'd like to know so I can create a new hand pose is what fingers should be either side of it..or does that matter?

Thanks
Steve C

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, could you name the set or if it's a product here in the store provide a link to it? Even a screenshot of the pistol...it would be infinitely easier to say what to do....

• ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Its this one...
    http://www.daz3d.com/flintlock-gun-pack

The gun in question is the silver one on the product shot although the picture is at rather a high angle but if you follow the line past the trigger you can see the "spike" on the handle

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

It looks like an extension of the trigger guard - the second picture shows it more clearly on one of the other guns. I'd guess it sits between second and ring fingers. Just going on shape and position, I know nothing about guns either.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2014

It could be that it is actually meant to be 2 triggers, one for each barrel http://www.michaeldlong.com/Catalogue/Antique-Firearms/Flintlock/German/European,-double-barrelled-flintlock-holster-pisto.aspx

Early double barrelled guns did have 2 triggers.

Or on the other hand it could just be for decoration http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms/german.htm

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    It looks like an extension of the trigger guard - the second picture shows it more clearly on one of the other guns. I'd guess it sits between second and ring fingers. Just going on shape and position, I know nothing about guns either.

That's about right...I downloaded the templates for it and it is clearly an extension of the trigger guard. So that's the positioning I'd use.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It could be that it is actually meant to be 2 triggers, one for each barrel http://www.michaeldlong.com/Catalogue/Antique-Firearms/Flintlock/German/European,-double-barrelled-flintlock-holster-pisto.aspx

Or on the other hand it could just be for decoration http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms/german.htm

I took a look at the custom made double barrel flintlock in my Dad's collection that predates the US Revolution. It has separate triggers pans for each barrel.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:

I took a look at the custom made double barrel flintlock in my Dad's collection that predates the US Revolution. It has separate triggers pans for each barrel.

That's what I was thinking, but the templates show it's decoration...

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:

That's good to know. We tended to use mostly single barreled guns when doing re-enactment as it is far too easy to accidently pull both triggers together when using double barreled and staging a fast moving battle. Wreaks havoc with teh shoulder joint if you do that too often with long barreled muskets and rifles, even with blank loads. :roll:

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure that the part in question is "decorative", or just to rest fingers on. There should be two triggers, one for each pan, but they would usually be side by side, rather than one behind the other. (There again, it is Steampunk! :) )

• ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Thanks folks
    When trying to fit it to V6/G2F i had to scale it to about 80%
    (When used on V3 its supposed to be at 87%)
    There I found the part ended up poking out between the second and ring finger - I was a bit worried I was supposed to try and get all the fingers in front of it!!
    (Some rifle seems to have a trigger guard extension for protecting all of the hand in a second 'loop')

Steve C

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:

That's good to know. We tended to use mostly single barreled guns when doing re-enactment as it is far too easy to accidently pull both triggers together when using double barreled and staging a fast moving battle. Wreaks havoc with teh shoulder joint if you do that too often with long barreled muskets and rifles, even with blank loads. :roll:

From what I know, it was custom made and not considered the norm. One of my crazy ancestors had it made and according to his papers, even if one side fouled, you could still keep firing with the other as if they were two separate rifles in the same stock. I don't think I'd want to try using it in any type of battle, fast or slow moving. The thing is clumsy as all get out.

While I've fired black powders from the US Revolutionary War era, most of my re-enactment experience is US Civil War. I much prefer the the Sharps to the Springfield.

edited March 2014

icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:

From what I know, it was custom made and not considered the norm. One of my crazy ancestors had it made and according to his papers, even if one side fouled, you could still keep firing with the other as if they were two separate rifles in the same stock. I don't think I'd want to try using it in any type of battle, fast or slow moving. The thing is clumsy as all get out.

While I've fired black powders from the US Revolutionary War era, most of my re-enactment experience is US Civil War. I much prefer the the Sharps to the Springfield.

I too was mostly ACW, despite being in the UK. Most of the guys, those who could afford them, had muskets, but a musket was a bit too big for me, masquerading as a young soldier, being only 5 foot tall, so I had a replica remington revolving rifle (black powder). Now that thing was fun. You got 6 shots off, and then reload?, forget it. I had 2 spare magazines which I carried in my cartridge bag. After that it was a handgun or nothing.

We did an evening battle once, and they persuaded me to load one magazine and seal the chambers with a little tissue and then seal with cooking fat. Wow did I get a super muzzle flash from that one.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:

I too was mostly ACW, despite being in the UK. Most of the guys, those who could afford them, had muskets, but a musket was a bit too big for me, masquerading as a young soldier, being only 5 foot tall, so I had a replica remington revolving rifle (black powder). Now that thing was fun. You got 6 shots off, and then reload?, forget it. I had 2 spare magazines which I carried in my cartridge bag. After that it was a handgun or nothing.

We did an evening battle once, and they persuaded me to load one magazine and seal the chambers with a little tissue and then seal with cooking fat. Wow did I get a super muzzle flash from that one.

I know the problem. I'm only 5ft as well. Fortunately for me, I was cavalry rather than infantry. The Sharps carbines were much smaller and lighter. Also more shots before having to reload. Although the Remington revolving was a good alternative for you. I hated running out of ammo though. Going blade to blade with larger horsemen who had longer reaches and more upper body strength was a pain. My only advantage was I had a better center of gravity than they did and if I could get them off balance, I could get them out of the saddle.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Which, in a way, was pretty 'authentic' since lard or bacon grease (bear grease if you had it) was often used to lubricate the wad...

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    icprncss said:
    chohole said:

I know the problem. I'm only 5ft as well. Fortunately for me, I was cavalry rather than infantry. The Sharps carbines were much smaller and lighter. Also more shots before having to reload. Although the Remington revolving was a good alternative for you. I hated running out of ammo though. Going blade to blade with larger horsemen who had longer reaches and more upper body strength was a pain. My only advantage was I had a better center of gravity than they did and if I could get them off balance, I could get them out of the saddle.

We don't tend to use Horses on the battle field over here, and no bladed weapons allowed either. Very few of us had access to horses that were trained to ignore gunfire and explosions. I ended up being promoted to carry the Colour, which is not the sinecure some may think it is. The guys seemed to want to carry it in parades, but not on the battlefield because they couldn't fight. Did somone forget to tell them that a flag staff is a pretty good weapon on it's own.

Which, in a way, was pretty 'authentic' since lard or bacon grease (bear grease if you had it) was often used to lubricate the wad...

Yes, very true, but modern day lard is not very good on a hot day, it melts too quickly.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

We don't tend to use Horses on the battle field over here, and no bladed weapons allowed either. Very few of us had access to horses that were trained to ignore gunfire and explosions. I ended up being promoted to carry the Colour, which is not the sinecure some may think it is. The guys seemed to want to carry it in parades, but not on the battlefield because they couldn't fight. Did somone forget to tell them that a flag staff is a pretty good weapon on it's own.

mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:

Yes, very true, but modern day lard is not very good on a hot day, it melts too quickly.

Mounted or dismounted depends upon the field. Larger fields like Gettysburg allow mounted engagements. All sabers are checked before going onto the field to make sure they are properly blunted and there are strict rules if you go to blades. I had bigger issues with my mount jumping ditches than shying at gunfire or cannon fire. Go figure. Of course the guys don't want to carry the Colors on the field. Tends to make you a noticeable target. You or I would make do with whatever we had to in the battle but the guys always want to hold onto their guns.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:

mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:

Mounted or dismounted depends upon the field. Larger fields like Gettysburg allow mounted engagements. All sabers are checked before going onto the field to make sure they are properly blunted and there are strict rules if you go to blades. I had bigger issues with my mount jumping ditches than shying at gunfire or cannon fire. Go figure. Of course the guys don't want to carry the Colors on the field. Tends to make you a noticeable target. You or I would make do with whatever we had to in the battle but the guys always want to hold onto their guns.

We very rarely go a chance of a really large battle field. We just don't quite have the same amount of wide open spaces you do over there.

When we formed our regiment we became Debrays Mounted Rifles, one of the private regiments that joined the confederate side. Mounted skirmishers who rode to war and fought dismounted. Was our excuse, and we stuck with it, and we were quite unusual for a southern regiment, was mainly the north who had rifle regiments.

My then husband, who was 2nd in command was actually a rifleman for 17 years in the British Army, so was his idea, and everyone thought it was a good idea when we needed to form a new regiment. Finding the right colour green for collars and cuffs was difficult, but we managed to get close and still stay with authentic fabrics