Noob question - LAMH Big Cats 2 and Luxux/ LuxRender

gordon.sylphgordon.sylph Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Sorry - I've looked all over the place for this and it's possibly there, but I just don't understand all the implications of things just yet.

Straight question - can you use DAZ3d and Luxus/LuxRender to render a scene with a Big Cat 2 (tiger) in it? 3Delight works fine (great even), but when I try using LuxRender, I get an error message on the luxus console while exporting "Tiger LAMH Group.". I'm using the Free Player version of LAMH at the moment - do I need the full product?

Many thanks, and hope you can help. Very frustrating!

Comments

• gordon.sylphgordon.sylph Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Of course, I missed off the error message :-)

It is "Error during Rendering!" and it goes no further.

thanks
    G

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

LaMH uses primitive shapes understood by the 3Delight renderer — lots and lots of them — to build up a full head of hair (or a full-body set for a critter). LuxRender can't understand this kind of primitive, according to the LuxRender wiki it does have something similar, but the two don't work together. Maybe in a later version (fingers crossed).

What you need to do is convert the LaMH hair groups into mesh hair; in the full LaMH plugin there's a "to OBJ" button that lets you export it. Not sure whether or not you can do this in the viewer-only plugin, I've never used it. The only problem with this is you're pretty much stuck with the exact shape of the figure at the moment you export the mesh hair; if you morph or pose it after this, the hair can't follow along. The mesh hair also produces slightly enormously much larger files than the LaMH originals, but there shouldn't be much effect on render time. I think.