Can Genesis 3 figures be imported into Carrara?

I am considering purchasing Carrara as early as spring, and I am wondering, before I decide to purchase the program, can Genesis 3, or any Genesis program, be imported into Carrara?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Carrara 8.5 supports Genesis (1) natively, where Genesis 2 figures work quite well, but are not fully supported. 

Genesis 3 can be brought in using a special system made by our own Misty! It's called CarrarActors - Janette and Johnathon for Carrara 8.5 over at Renderosity.

She also has Genesis 8 male and female compatibility over there in her freebies section

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2020

Yes and No

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 load natively in Carrara 8.5.  Assuming everything is installed, simply start a new Carrara scene, open the browser tab, and drag and drop the Genesis 1 or 2 figure to the Carrara scene.  Use the same procedure to load any conforming clothing, hair, etc that you want.  Select the conforming item, select "fit to" in the properties tray, and choose the Genesis 1 or Genesis 2 figure as appropriate.  (Personally, when I use humans in Carrara, I most commonly use Genesis 2 figures and content).

Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 do not load natively, but you can do a work around.  Attempting to simply load Genesis 3 or 8 from the content tab like Genesis 1 or 2 causes Carrara to crash.

Workaround - Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 can be loaded in Carrara in a variety of other ways.  The most compatible are character presets available at Renderosity offered by Misty.  To use Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 conforming clothes, etc with these presets, the items must be converted to blended weight first.  This is done in Daz Studio by loading the item, and going to EDIT : FIGURE : RIGGING : CONVERT TRIAX TO BLENDED WEIGHT.  Other workarounds involve alternative file formats like collada, etc., with varying degrees of compatibility.

In response to customer service tickets, Daz3d has at times stated that they do not currently provide support for G3 and G8 use in Carrara.

(Was typing at the same time as Dart)

Post edited by Diomede on

Carrara 8.5 supports Genesis (1) natively, where Genesis 2 figures work quite well, but are not fully supported. 

Curious, what Genesis 1 feature is not supported in Genesis 2?   

They both load directly from the content browser.  "Fit to" works for both.  On the bad side, the problem with geograft UVs is the same for both.  

Not disagreeing, just want to know what I am missing by using Genesis 2 instead of Genesis 1.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

demo g3 in carrara

G3F character for Carrara progress  playlist

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2020
    Diomede said:

Curious, what Genesis 1 feature is not supported in Genesis 2?   

They both load directly from the content browser.  "Fit to" works for both.  On the bad side, the problem with geograft UVs is the same for both.  

Not disagreeing, just want to know what I am missing by using Genesis 2 instead of Genesis 1.

Autofit mainly

they can wear their own clothes 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • BagboyBagboy Posts: 170
    edited May 2020

Will the Carraractors accept body and actor morphs?

I tried the Victoria 7 morph but can't figure out how to apply it.

I'm also considereing getting the Genesis 3 Body Morphs.

BTW. I'm overjoyed that I was able to load Gen 3 and she seems to be working! laugh

Post edited by Bagboy on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited May 2020

You can find morphs in several spots.

1. If you click on Actor

2. Then click on the Parameters tab

3. Scroll down and use the slider on the morph you are after. In the Filter box at the top if you type in the name of the morph if known it will narrow down the search.

1. If you click on the name of the figure in your scene

2. Then click on the parameters tab, then scroll down the list

1. If you click on the Head

2. Then click on the Paramters tab, then scroll down the list

Actor Parameters 1.png
    2258 x 1037 - 384K
    Actor Parameters 2.png
    2269 x 1033 - 381K
    Actor Parameters Head 3.png
    2269 x 1031 - 398K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited May 2020
    Bagboy said:

Will the Carraractors accept body and actor morphs?

I tried the Victoria 7 morph but can't figure out how to apply it.

I'm also considereing getting the Genesis 3 Body Morphs.

BTW. I'm overjoyed that I was able to load Gen 3 and she seems to be working! laugh

All glory goes to Misty for solving the problem of loading and using blended weights

Thanks Bunyip for showing the morph locations.

Here is a Victoria 7 example of using content made for G3F in Carrara.  

- In Daz Studio, I loaded an outfit specifically for G3F, in this case the Samira outfit which has an Egyptian theme.

- For each clothing item, I used EDIT : FIGURE : RIGGING : Convert to blended

- I saved each converted item as a scene subset (other people get better success saving differently)

- I started Carrara

- I loaded Misty's G3F character available at the other site.  (I'm not bothering with shaders for this example)

- I loaded the blended rigging versions of the Samira outfit for G3F.

- As standard for Carrara, I used "fit to" for each of the clothing items and chose G3F.

- After selecting the "actor" level of G3F. I dialed the Victoria 7 morph to 1.  The V7 morphs were autmatically projected to the Samira clothing.

g3f default load mistys janette and blended weight samira outfit.jpg
    1871 x 1016 - 284K
    g3f v7 dialed to one and the samira clothes morph to match.jpg
    1485 x 993 - 250K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Absolutely! All praise to MIsty! Well done and Thank You! kisslaugh I'm always amazed at the workarounds and plugins that extend the life of Carrara!

So, after loading Janette, I applied the Victoria 7 morph, and her parameter slider appears when I click on "Genesis 3 Female". But the slider doesn't seem to do anything to the model on stage.

Am I missing a step or something?

The other morphs that appear under Genesis 3 Female seem to work as expected. These include limb/skeletal movements, facial morphs, phonemes, etc.

Bagboy said:

Absolutely! All praise to MIsty! Well done and Thank You! kisslaugh I'm always amazed at the workarounds and plugins that extend the life of Carrara!

So, after loading Janette, I applied the Victoria 7 morph, and her parameter slider appears when I click on "Genesis 3 Female". But the slider doesn't seem to do anything to the model on stage.

Am I missing a step or something?

The other morphs that appear under Genesis 3 Female seem to work as expected. These include limb/skeletal movements, facial morphs, phonemes, etc.

Did you click on Actor then Parameters ?, is the step I followed to get V7 to work.

Yes.  I tried the “Actor” selection and the Parameters there, but Victoria 7 is not one of the options  It IS a part of the Genesis 3 Female parameters set for me  

maybe I have a bad application of V7  I’ll try again from scratch and see if I can get her to appear under Actor  

Thanks for the suggestion! It gives me a starting point in getting it to work. 

I'm already out of my depth.  

However, you might check to make sure your V7 purchase was installed correctly.  If so, your appropriate /data/ file folder has the morphs for V7 in the DSON format.  I installed my Victoria 7 product using DIM.  I installed it to the same directory as all of my other purchased Daz3D content.  I named mine "Stuff for Studio" but I believe the default name is something like My Daz3D or maybe My Daz3D Library.  

So, my morphs for V7 are represented by a series of DSON files located in...

/Stuff for Studio/ data/Daz 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/Daz 3D/Victoria 7

Yours would probably substitute My Daz3D or My Daz3D Library for where I have Stuff for Studio.

Thanks, Diomede!

I ended up starting anew with a fresh Janette and a fresh loading of Victoria 7.  And, Lo! Her parameters, this time, loaded into the Actor selection, as previous posters indicated should have happened.

Don't know why it loaded incorrectly into the Genesis 3 Female selection the last time.

But it is now working properly!

Thanks for everybodies help! It would have taken a long time to discover the problem without these posts!

Glad you are up and running. Misty's preset opens more possibilities.

Diomede said:

Glad you are up and running. Misty's preset opens more possibilities.

+1 yes

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited June 2020

I'd be lost with my Misty G3's!  +1yes

Just to emphasise what Diomede said...remember when converting clothing in DS to blended weight that you need to do each part of an outfit set separately.  I have not been able to get ensembles to properly convert in one go. So do the top, bottoms, and footwear, etc all separately. (If things have changed on this, will someone please let me know?)

heart  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

Next question: Are the "Genesis 3 Female Body Morphs" usable from within Carrara on Janette?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Bagboy said:

Next question: Are the "Genesis 3 Female Body Morphs" usable from within Carrara on Janette?

yes all the morphs are but for HDmorphs you need Philemo's plugin that uses a DAZ studio obj export of them

Bagboy said:

yes all the morphs are but for HDmorphs you need Philemo's plugin that uses a DAZ studio obj export of them

Great! Thank you for this information!

Bagboy said:

Just make sure you load a Fresh Johnathon or Janette after buying new morphs for them. When we save our Genesis characters in Carrara format, their morphs collection is saved with the figure, and won't automatically add new ones - so we must load a fresh figure from the library.

If you have a character all set up in Carrara but now you've bought more morphs and want to use them with that figure, we can Transfer the Shapes to the frsh figure using NLA.

This also works if we decide to go the other way and Reduce the Amount of Morphs* we have on a figure - except that if we remove morphs that are part of the original character being transferred, those will cause a one-time error message and simply won't transfer - but everything else will come through fine.

* the article is written for Genesis 1, but the same method works for any of the Genesis generations

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited June 2020
    Bagboy said:

If you have a character all set up in Carrara but now you've bought more morphs and want to use them with that figure, we can Transfer the Shapes to the frsh figure using NLA.

This also works if we decide to go the other way and Reduce the Amount of Morphs* we have on a figure - except that if we remove morphs that are part of the original character being transferred, those will cause a one-time error message and simply won't transfer - but everything else will come through fine.

* the article is written for Genesis 1, but the same method works for any of the Genesis generations

I did not know this, obvioiusly I must have not been paying attention at the time DOH?  This sounds amazng and just read your link. So, once you do that,  do you just then save the updated character with the new/changed data back to your browser as a car file that then loads as 'normal'?  And then you can repeat this as you collect any new morphs or want to drop some?

Sorry I have never used NLA before and am really looking forward to trying this!  Love your new site!

yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    SileneUK said:
    Bagboy said:

I did not know this, obvioiusly I must have not been paying attention at the time DOH?  This sounds amazng and just read your link. So, once you do that,  do you just then save the updated character with the new/changed data back to your browser as a car file that then loads as 'normal'?  And then you can repeat this as you collect any new morphs or want to drop some?

Sorry I have never used NLA before and am really looking forward to trying this!  Love your new site!

yes  Silene

Yep, you got it! The key to transferring shapes is the dialog that pops up during the NLA Pose. I like to drag that window bigger and open the Actor hierarchy and make sure my shaping morphs are being selected. Except nowadays, I just click the box at the top level to deselect everything and then click it again, which selects Everything.

This is a Pose NLA (single key frame) and I'm just going to "Load Clip Data" rather than actually adding the clip to the timeline. So the rest doesn't matter.

SileneUK said:
    Bagboy said:

Love your new site!

yes  Silene

Thank you! Working on some helpful goodies that I think you'll really like! ;)

Thanks, dartonbeck! I learned the hard way about not being able to add newly installed morphs to existing genesis figures. 
    but, I did NOT know about the NLA workaround! I'll have to try that as I just bought a new morph set. 

Hi Dartanbeck-

I too love the way your web site it shaping up!

A question on the NLA workaround on transferring pose and morph settings to a new instance of Genesis 3 female/Janette so a newly installed set of morphs can be applied. I've just tried it in a new scene, and when I've inserted the NLA master pose clip, it seems to again block the new morphs from being applied.

Did I maybe miss a step or your point?

Thanks again!

Don't place the Clip into the sequencer. Select Janette and go to the NLA tab and Load Data from Clip. It's a button in the NLA tab.

I don't think I've tried this technique on Janette or Johnathon yet. It works for Generation 4 and Genesis 1 figures for sure. It should work though.

Just remember not to add that clip to the timeline. It might block body parts from moving and morphs from being dialed. We don't want that. We just want the parameters that were dialed up to become dialed up.

...and Thanks for your kind comments! smiley

Don't place the Clip into the sequencer. Select Janette and go to the NLA tab and Load Data from Clip. It's a button in the NLA tab.

I don't think I've tried this technique on Janette or Johnathon yet. It works for Generation 4 and Genesis 1 figures for sure. It should work though.

Just remember not to add that clip to the timeline. It might block body parts from moving and morphs from being dialed. We don't want that. We just want the parameters that were dialed up to become dialed up.

Beautiful! Now it works as "advertised"!  laugh

I missed that tiny, but critical, distinction.

Thanks again, Dart (if I may call you that! wink),

...and Thanks for your kind comments! smiley

...and you're welcome! Looking forward to see it develop!

Bagboy said:

\Thanks again, Dart (if I may call you that! wink),

Absolutely!

Bagboy said:

Beautiful! Now it works as "advertised"!  laugh

I missed that tiny, but critical, distinction.

Whew! I thought that's what it was! wink