Transaction declined - new credit card from bank

BagletBaglet Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm trying to buy "Roaming Scout" by Esha but keep getting the transaction declined.

I have had these problems before.

It may be because we have 3 digit security numbers rather than 4 digit ones. I have added my new credit card details as the bank sent a new one but nothing works.

I tried PayPal but ended up stuck with nowhere to go.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Customer Service are the only ones who can help you.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    I'm trying to buy "Roaming Scout" by Esha but keep getting the transaction declined.

I have had these problems before.

It may be because we have 3 digit security numbers rather than 4 digit ones. I have added my new credit card details as the bank sent a new one but nothing works.

I tried PayPal but ended up stuck with nowhere to go.

Did you call the bank and actually activate the card? Many banks send you a new card about a month before the old one expires but still require you to call or go online to active the new card while deactivating the old one. Usually there's an orange or red sticker on the front of the card with a reminder, a phone number and/or a web address.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes I did activate it.

The problem might be that they only changed the security number and not the long number which is the same as before.

That's banks for you! Always glad to have your money but hate to part with it.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Yes I did activate it.

The problem might be that they only changed the security number and not the long number which is the same as before.

That's unusual, mine I usually have the last 4 numbers changed as well as the 3 figure security number.

edited December 1969

I think my bank is just a bit lazy. They change the secuity number and think that is fine.

I've had the same number for years as they never bother changing it.

They should do but they never get concerned with 'details'.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I gave up banks in favor of my CU over twenty years ago because I was tired of being treated badly by banks. I thought, and still do, that the banks I dealt with felt individual depositors were more of a nuisance than a value to them. I am much happier with my CU.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,787
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Baglet said:
    Yes I did activate it.

That's unusual, mine I usually have the last 4 numbers changed as well as the 3 figure security number.

If it's just a renewal because the card has expired, I usually get the same card number but new security number (3 digit). If the card is terminated because of abuse (by some hacker or whatever ) I get completely new card and security numbers.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    I gave up banks in favor of my CU over twenty years ago because I was tired of being treated badly by banks. I thought, and still do, that the banks I dealt with felt individual depositors were more of a nuisance than a value to them. I am much happier with my CU.

Another happy CU customer here! Unfortunately, not everyone has access to one.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

3 digit security number works fine for me.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    I think my bank is just a bit lazy. They change the secuity number and think that is fine.

I know this may sound silly, but did you try removing the card details from your account and saving that, and then once it has cleared the details out, then re-enter them.

edited December 1969

I had a Rogue Transaction - some gambling site - a few years back but the bank doesn't bother much. They restored the money and that was that. I was brought up not to gamble.

I've had the same long number for years now - they only ever change the security code. Which is annoying as it makes it difficult to buy things as the CC record retains the old security code. I'll go into town tomorrow and complain.

The debit card always works fine but they don't care much about those.

I'm trying to contact Sales but can't get the message sent. It seems to be blocked.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Baglet said:

I know this may sound silly, but did you try removing the card details from your account and saving that, and then once it has cleared the details out, then re-enter them.

Yes. I tried that but maybe the record was retained as the number is the same. The bank are a bit stupid only changing the security code.

I don't do online banking as they use digits rather than secure passwords. I have a good memory for passwords as I work in IT.

edited December 1969

My bank is pretty good with on line banking. There are several layers of protection, and the one thing I do like is a little doohickey called a pin sentry, It works with your card and PIN to generate unique, 1-time 8-digit codes for use in Online Banking.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,630
    edited December 1969

That's nifty and handy

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    My bank is pretty good with on line banking. There are several layers of protection, and the one thing I do like is a little doohickey called a pin sentry, It works with your card and PIN to generate unique, 1-time 8-digit codes for use in Online Banking.

My husband uses those. He has to be careful as he also manages his mother's account as she has vascular dementia and is also blind. So he has to try to keep it all seperate. He is a Computer Scientist so is well organised. If only he could find my folder of slides! They date back to the 1980s when he was a postgrad and I was working in building survey and archaeology. We used to meet up with a friend and go visiting Saxon churches in Yorkshire. With a pub lunch!

edited December 1969

Still trying to get a message to Sales Support but the button does nothing.

edited December 1969
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,787
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Still trying to get a message to Sales Support but the button does nothing.

Which browser are you using? A lot of things both here and on other sites doesn't work with IE8 anymore.