V3 textures on G2F via V4

Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have tried to find some straight forward information on how to put Gen3 textures on Genesis & Genesis2 Female in the forums. It sounds as though the best way would be to first transfer e.g. V3 textures to V4 and then use the resulting V4 texture to transfer to Genesis and G2F?

However, if that is the case, should I use Texture Convertor 2 (I have the TC2 Bundle) or should I use the native D|S Map Transfer Utility?

I am using a fairly new computer where I didn't have TC2 installed, but I have the install.exe and when I install the program and then try to run it, the program window comes up but a pop up window says that there are no Texture Convertor Plug ins installed. It is indeed installed but maybe not in the correct location. Where should this plugin reside?

I am using Windows 6 64-bit on Daz Studio Pro 4.6.2.118

Comments

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

TC2 needs to have plugins installed in order to work. That bundle comes with the base installer and 2 plugins. You need to download and install all 3.
    http://www.daz3d.com/texture-convertor-2-tc2-bundle
    includes:
    http://www.daz3d.com/texture-convertor-2-tc2
    http://www.daz3d.com/tc2-v4-a4-plugin
    http://www.daz3d.com/tc2-victoria-3-plugin

From your post, it sounds like you only installed the base program.

I've run this to convert V4 skins to V3, and it did a real nice job. I have not run it the other direction. As to whether or not this is the best flow for what you want to do, I'll leave that to others to discuss.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited March 2014

Hiya Slimer_J_Spud - I am sure you are absolutely correct - it sounds as though the plugins themselves are missing. However, I can only find this one file for download in My Account/Product Library at Daz:

Texture Convertor 2 (TC2)

Yet, when I go to the product page by clicking on the Plugin links in your post, it says I've already purchased the items. That's why I thought they were somehow bundled with and included in the one file I am downloading & installing?

Have you any experience with this or should I contact DAZ for the two plugins missing in my Product Library?

Edited: Never mind. I no more posted this than I found the missing plugins. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Post edited by Mari-Anne on
    edited March 2014

The product names are confusing. Don't you know Daz's motto? "Confusion is our most important product." :lol:

The base product is listed as:
    Texture Convertor 2 (TC2)

The plugins are:
    TC2 - Victoria 3 Plugin
    TC2 - V4 + A4 Plugin

So, if you filtered the product library for "Texture" you won't see the plugins. Try filtering the Product Library for "TC2" instead. Otherwise, it's a store glitch. You should also be able to go back to the order itself from the order history. On the page shown in Product Library, you can click on the order number, and verify that it was the bundle you ordered. All 3 items should be downloadable.

Edit to reply to edit: LOL! Good luck with the TC2. I'm going to put some more "skins" through it for sure. If you go to my gallery, there's a render of Aiko3 with the V4 Marie Elite texture.

The only inconvenience I find with TC2 is that for more complex texture sets, like Marie, I had to run it multiple times to pick up all the extra textures that go with a elite texture set (diffuse, bump AND specular). I'm still on DS3, so I can't help you with any Genesis related issues, tho.

Post edited by SlimerJSpud on
    edited December 1969

I'm still on DS3, so I can't help you with any Genesis related issues, tho.

That's quite OK - you've done enough already. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

While I have your ear, so to speak, what is the easiest way of applying the new texture once you have it converted? I did tick to Create a MAT Pose in my Preferences initially and established a folder to save those poses. But so far, the only thing that occurred to me was to go to the Surface tab and apply each texture map individually on the different body parts. How do you apply your converted MATs?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

I'm still on DS3, so I can't help you with any Genesis related issues, tho.

That's quite OK - you've done enough already. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

While I have your ear, so to speak, what is the easiest way of applying the new texture once you have it converted? I did tick to Create a MAT Pose in my Preferences initially and established a folder to save those poses. But so far, the only thing that occurred to me was to go to the Surface tab and apply each texture map individually on the different body parts. How do you apply your converted MATs?

The MAT pose it creates could be considered a starting point, subject to further fiddling. Another way is to apply an existing MAT pose (or material preset) you happen to have for the target figure, and then, as you say, swap out each texture individually. Once you're done, you can save that as a new MAT pose. At least, if you start with an existing MAT with settings you like, then swapping out the textures isn't so bad because you should have less fiddling to do given that you had a good starting point. Tweak it, then save it. You apply the saved MAT with a File > Merge. At least, that's how it works for me. DS4.x may be slightly different.

edited December 1969

OK - File > Merge sounds good. I wouldn't have thought of that. Am very new at fiddling with D|S at this depth level (probably not so very deep to most Daz enthusiasts) but I think I can handle some tweaks once the MAT poses are applied.

You have been so helpful. Thank you again!!

edited December 1969

Converting Marie Elite to a V3/A3 texture was a little tedious. First there was the matter I mentioned with having multiple passes through the program to pick up multiple texture types. Then there was the fact that none of the V3/A3 texture sets used the Human Surface Shader (HSS) like Marie V4 does. I'll have to retrace my steps on that one. I think I applied the V4 Marie MAT to A3, then cleaned up the mess it made manually. I know I had to swap out the textures individually. There was another issue with A3 being the target. There are extra material zones in the A3 legs. Doing a material zone copy-paste did not work because the missing zones were using the default shader, not the HSS. I had to apply the HSS manually, with no textures to those zones, then the texture copy and paste from other zones would work.

The other character I'd like to try this on is Shadiyah. :-P
    http://www.daz3d.com/shadiyah-spirit-of-the-orient
    She's got a lovely texture set I'd like to try on V4. This one might also be complicated if I want to transfer the body jewels.

edited December 1969

In the forum, I ran across the problems with A3 having different/extra material zones in the legs but I'[m not too worried as I don't do much with A3, if anything. Although I don't mind extra work. Just makes it that much more interesting plus you learn something new

Good luck with Shadiyah - she DOES look lovely.