Keeping the camera and light parameters identical from DAZ to Poser

DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there a way to keep the camera position and specs the same from DAZ to poser. Also the light positioning?

I love the way DAZ 3Dlight renders depth, it blows away Poser, but it lacks the definition that Poser (Firefly?) renders in. To me, Poser renders look picturesque but they have a lack of depth, very 2D and flattened. I'd like to do a render in DAZ then take the same scene and render it in Poser and merge the best of both worlds postwork. Is there a way to export the camera and lighting parameters (location, angle, etc...) from DAZ to Poser?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,405
    edited December 1969

No cameras and light aren't universal. They need to be recreated. I'm not entirely sure if the translations would be the same between the two

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Also, there isn't enough precision used when scaling the scene geometry to get a match that is not going end up fuzzy, when layered. Which really means there won't be identical scenes, so the position of the lights/cameras won't matter all that much...because everything else will be slightly 'off', too.

• DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Thanks. A little bummed but thanks.

I may have to finally try to figure out Luxrender and blend the two but I've had ZERO luck with that even with the tutorials..

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

emacek1 said:

I may have to finally try to figure out Luxrender and blend the two but I've had ZERO luck with that even with the tutorials..

A little trick I use when moving between different programs (Poser, DS and Vue in my case) is to place primitives as placeholders. For example a rectangular box at the camera position (with the same orientation as the camera) and a cone primitive for a spotlight. When I read or import the file in the target application, I can place the new camera and lights where these place holder geometries are and then it's just down to paying with focal length, light strengths, etc. to get a reasonable match. Works pretty well for me. I have the camera and light primitives saved in my library, so i can just load them in and copy the positions.
    Ciao
    TD

edited December 1969

emacek1 said:

How long do you give a typical Luxrender render to render?

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,309
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    emacek1 said:

How long do you give a typical Luxrender render to render?

The standard canned answer applies: That depends on your computer, the scene and the lights.

But if it helps any, I usually get a decent scene in about 20 minutes of rendering. I'm running an Alienware 64bit Windows 7 based PC with 16 gigs of RAM and an nvidia GT560 video card and Poser Pro 2012 / 2014 with Reality 3. The cool thing is that I can have as many as 6 (or more) Reality renders going at the same time with no PC lagging and still be creating new scenes in Poser!!!!! ("I don't think DAZ will be so forgiving of so much going on if you even can have multiple renders in Reality for DAZ", he said in complete ignorance of DAZ's abilities in this matter. Yes, I just quoted myself AS I spoke it! LOL)

And since we're here, I have to ask... Have you tried using ANY Depth of Field in your Poser renders??? If not, it just might give you some of the depth you're looking for.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the primitives idea, genius! That was the answer that I was looking for. I can tweak the lights and camera but I needed the exact position of everything. Great idea!

It's not the depth of field it is actually the contrast difference between the pixels. An arm in 3Dlight looks round like an arm but it lacks the clarity of skin (a little on the cartoony side). On the other hand, a poser arm looks like an arm but as though I cut it out of the JCPenney catalog (Not to rip on JCPenney's of course). It has a flatness to it.

As far as Lux, it is so hit or miss for me, even with Inane Glory lux lights and the Ring of Lights. I know it's not a time issue or a computer issue, it's just that I don't know how to set up the lights and the shaders to work together. It just takes patience and work but I haven't gotten around to tweaking a scene yet.

edited December 1969

Sounds like what you really need to do is to spend the time to learn the intricacies of one render engine...because all of those 'problems' are NOT the faults of the renderers, but rather shader/light issues.

edited December 1969

Maybe you can help me then... Here is an example of one of my renders. What parameters should I be looking at to change to make the skin more realistic?

vicki_baby_portrait_I.jpg
    1530 x 1080 - 464K
    edited December 1969

Which shader are you using?

That's going to be one of the biggest things to getting the look you want, learning the ins and outs of the particular shader. And to go along with that, lighting...

In this case, I'd turn down the rim/back light some...it seems to be almost 'blisteringly' bright on the back of the neck and shoulder. It probably won't take much...just down a little. Then the specular highlight on the cheek is too 'tight' for dry/normal skin...oiled skin or even wet would be expected to be that tight...and it's really bright. That could be two reasons...one that the specular/glossiness in the skin shader needs to be adjusted...or that the back light is also a specular light, not just diffuse.

Some other things...if using a SSS shader...subtly is the key. Scale/shading rate play large roles and the strength of the effect is very important.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited March 2014

emacek1 said:
    Maybe you can help me then... Here is an example of one of my renders. What parameters should I be looking at to change to make the skin more realistic?
    Honestly, to my eyes, she looks "pretty good" now. What character is that? Knowing a bit about her textures and such would help.

There is SOOOO much to "realism" when it comes to human skin that it's hard to issue a blanket statement. Better to dig into the details of her surfaces, the lighting you're using, etc.

Screen shots of surface settings would help too.

Edit: Uh-oh. Now you have MJC and I both trying to offer help. Be ready to answer a lot of questions. ;)

Post edited by JonnyRay on
    edited March 2014

Also...double check things like bump and displacement.

Last night I was doing some renders for a face I cooked up for M4...and while a quick glance at the settings showed that the bump and displacement maps were in place and that they were enable/had something in the strength, I still was not getting the effect I wanted. So looking a bit closer showed that both the min/max values for both bump and displacement were 0.00 for both minimum and maximum. Lesson is...all the maps/strength in the world aren't going to move a single point/add a single detail, if there is no amount to move them given.

Things to remember about bump/displacement...all three renderers mentioned in this thread deal with them differently.

Poser and Studio are completely different and Luxrender is a matter of scale. Poser is basically black/white for min/max with the min value being 'base level' and Studio is a medium grey as the 'base' with darker being 'down' and lighter being 'up' (default and same min/max range). Luxrender's base unit is a meter, Studio is a centimeter...so in Lux a milimeter is 0.001 and in Studio it is 0.1...or a value in DS of 0.1 in displacement will move 1/10 of a centimeter...while that same value in Luxrender will move 10 centimeters. I'm not sure if Reality does the math when converting...but Luxus does not.

That's the 'quick' explanation...the finer details are much more complex, except the scale between DS/Luxrender.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

I looked at AoA's subsurface shader video and it was quite an eye opener. I learned about the subsurface parameters and what they do and why and it really is a great teaching tool. I messed around with it and my rendering is definitely more controlled by me now as opposed to "well, that's as good as it's going to get". It'll take sme tweaking on each character on each scene to get what I want out of the skin now but at least now I'm able to.

See attached. I lowered the diffusionto 50% and made the subsurface on the grey side to give the skin a paler appearance. Thanks for your help mjc and and if you, or anybody for that matter, would like to post to this thread with more info on rendering I would greatly appreciate it.

See attached. (Stella V6 HD)

Image1.jpg
    758 x 741 - 267K