dForce CPU/GPU usage profile?

cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042

Greetings,

I have a new machine with a real GPU.  (Previously for dForce I had to use the Intel CPU OpenCL, since the old machine's GPU drivers OpenCL version was too old.)  The new system is running Windows 10 Pro, and the GPU is an nVidia Quadro 5000 RTX Max-Q with 16GB dedicated VRAM.  Studio is up-to-date, at 4.12.  I have selected the nVidia OpenCL driver in the 'Advanced" tab for dForce.  However, running dForce simulations is still very slow, and monitoring the system's CPU and GPU usage, I see virtually no GPU utilization during a simulation.  I see roughly one CPU core pegged out, and 0% GPU with short (1-2 seconds) periodic spikes to 4% GPU utilization on the nVidia.

Is this just how dForce works on a real GPU?  E.g., CPU does a bunch of prep work, ships it to the GPU, which is doing its calulations so quick as to be more or less instant, then ships back to the CPU which has to slog through to calculate the next frame?  Or is something wrong on my system, and I should be seeing much higher sustained GPU usage when dForce is performing a simulation?  I've looked at Studio's logfile, but it doesn't appear to have anything related to OpenCL debugging when doing a simulation.  Just lots of messages about the Spring calibrations and then "Simulation took <x> minutes".

Thanks for any insights.

Post edited by cwichura on

Comments

• those spring warnings cause simulations to take much longer, if it even completes. Try running a sim with something without so many issues.

• Is there plans to adopt a rennder engine that is not limited to Just Nvidia GPUs?? apples New Mac Pros for will be shipping with Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics and it is a More powerful GPU then anything from Nvidia but... IF Daz3d only uses Iray Which relies CUDA it will be useless. ALso what about dForce will it support Radeon GPUs?? For OpenCL?? I feel it is a mistale to JUST use a render engine or CUDA that ONLY works with Nvidia GPUs. When industry standards that will use ANY GPU are avaiable. OpenCL is currently the leading open source GPGPU framework. CUDA, on the other hand, is the leading proprietary GPGPU framework. WITH THE KEY word PROPRIETARY which can mean in the FUTURE abandoned should other graphics cards manufactures game develpers focus more on Open source GPGPU frameworks and abandon Nvidia's PROPRIETARY CUDA.

• The Mac Pro should not be used as justification for anything.

DS does support 3Delight and there are plugins for Luxrender and Octane.

dForce is available on anything with an OpenCL driver, all GPU's released in about the last 10 years and Intel CPU's.

Also arguing for open source anything and against proprietary after using the Mac Pro as justification for something...

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited February 2020
    mfournier said:

apples New Mac Pros for will be shipping with Radeon

They say if you can't beat it then join it.

Actually there are two options to work with daz assets. If you want to work with daz studio then you get the software requirements in the product page, so you do know you need a nvidia card for iray gpu rendering, that excludes macs.

On the other side you're not forced to work with daz studio since there are good blender and maya exporters, also fbx alone is not bad though more limited. Then you may need to fix something on the exported assets, but using a professional software gives you better options for animation and rendering so it's a fair trade.

Post edited by Padone on
  • I wish that nvida necessity would have been more actively advertised for this and iray. Because I didn't know this when I bought my new laptop last year, I didn't get that. I thought we were over the 90s card wars.....
  • I just learned that none of my three computers are rendering to Nvidia cards since Daz upgraded to 4.16. I have two 1070 and one 2080 cards. That explains why I'm not getting high-quality rendering results.  I have spent hours trying to get them to force to GPU, none. They all keep the CPU at full capacity, with zero GPU usage. I tweaked the hardware settings in Daz, none of the settings would hold. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, rolled back to the older version, and re-installed them, none pf them had fixed the problem. Any idea why that is? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,457

odysseyowl said:

I just learned that none of my three computers are rendering to Nvidia cards since Daz upgraded to 4.16. I have two 1070 and one 2080 cards. That explains why I'm not getting high-quality rendering results.  I have spent hours trying to get them to force to GPU, none. They all keep the CPU at full capacity, with zero GPU usage. I tweaked the hardware settings in Daz, none of the settings would hold. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, rolled back to the older version, and re-installed them, none pf them had fixed the problem. Any idea why that is? 

The DS Log is the best place to start hunting down the culprit
    Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File 

If you want us to have a look, don't copy the text in the log to the message area, but attach the log to your post with "Attach a file" above the "Post Comment" button.