DIM Products vs Product Updates confusion - RESOLVED

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,442
edited March 2014 in The Commons

I'm running the latest DIM, 1.0.1.115. I thought that if an item appeared in the "Product Updates", it meant that it was a new version of something that DIM had previously downloaded. But I've started seeing products appear in "Product Updates" that do not appear in either "Ready to Install" or "Installed". So I'm confused.

For example, today I got updates for The Ballroom DS and The Ballroom Exp 1 DS. I used the DIM search to look for "ballroom". It found the update files in "Ready to Download", but nothing in the "Ready to Install" or "Installed" category. So why are they listed under "Product Updates"? Am I misunderstanding what "Product Updates" means, or is it some kind of DIM bug?

Post edited by barbult on

Comments

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I'm running the latest DIM, 1.0.1.115. I thought that if an item appeared in the "Product Updates", it meant that it was a new version of something that DIM had previously downloaded. But I've started seeing products appear in "Product Updates" that do not appear in either "Ready to Install" or "Installed". So I'm confused.

For example, today I got updates for The Ballroom DS and The Ballroom Exp 1 DS. I used the DIM search to look for "ballroom". It found the update files in "Ready to Download", but nothing in the "Ready to Install" or "Installed" category. So why are they listed under "Product Updates"? Am I misunderstanding what "Product Updates" means, or is it some kind of DIM bug?

Di you download the files found in the "Ready to Download" tab? You have to download them first in order for them to appear in the "Ready to Install" tab. At least that is how I've been doing mine.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I doubt if DAZ are giving stuff away via DIM :)

Have you checked your My Account > Product Library are for these items? I got two updates as well, and The Ballroom is one of them, but I did buy it. I didn't buy the expansion, so I didn't get the update for it.

How are you searching? I just use the A - Z order in the Installed tab, and it is there under 'T'. I have nothing in my Ready to Install tab, do you?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,442
    edited March 2014

LuluBelle1271, the issue is that if the item is listed as a "Product Update", I expect an older version to have been downloaded before, and so I expect it to already appear in "Ready to Install" or "Installed". (I do know I have to download the update in order to be able to install it. :) )

Post edited by barbult on
  • siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

For example, today I got updates for The Ballroom DS and The Ballroom Exp 1 DS. I used the DIM search to look for “ballroom”. It found the update files in “Ready to Download”, but nothing in the “Ready to Install” or “Installed” category. So why are they listed under “Product Updates”? Am I misunderstanding what “Product Updates” means, or is it some kind of DIM bug?

No they are real update to be downloaded and installed, most of the time it's metadata fixes

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Remember files in the ready to download tab override files in the ready to install tab. So if there is a new version on the server the file in Ready to install will no longer show up as "Ready to Install" as long as you are online.

edited December 1969

I doubt if DAZ are giving stuff away via DIM :)

Have you checked your My Account > Product Library are for these items? I got two updates as well, and The Ballroom is one of them, but I did buy it. I didn't buy the expansion, so I didn't get the update for it.

How are you searching? I just use the A - Z order in the Installed tab, and it is there under 'T'. I have nothing in my Ready to Install tab, do you?

I do own those products. I purchased them in 2012, before the DIM existed.

I am searching by entering the word "ballroom" in the search window in the DIM.

I have lots of other things in my "Ready to Install" tab, because I have lots of things that I had installed before the DIM existed that I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled with the DIM. I also have newer things like freebies that I download but don't install until I want to use them.

My big question is why is it in the "Product Updates" section if it appears that I never downloaded or installed it with the DIM in the past. Other items that I purchase appear in the "Products" section. Normally I thought that the only things that go into the "Product Updates" section were things that I had downloaded with the DIM previously. So if I did that, they should appear in the "Ready to Install" or "Installed" tab.

edited December 1969

Remember files in the ready to download tab override files in the ready to install tab. So if there is a new version on the server the file in Ready to install will no longer show up as "Ready to Install" as long as you are online.

Aha! That is the explanation I am looking for. This makes sense, but I didn't know it worked that way. I did look around in documentation center about the DIM before posting my thread, and I couldn't find any explanation there.

So I guess the fact that they appear in the Product Updates means that I DID download it before, but the old download is hidden from me so I don't try to install an old version. Thanks for the answer. I will mark my thread Solved.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,866
    edited December 1969

Well I'm glad you asked because this is confusing. I, too, have things in ready to install and didn't know what did what!