Need Help With Install Manager

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok there are some products recently that will not install correctly unless one uses the Install Manager which I really dislike using. The thing never installs anything in the right place no matter how I set it up.

I have my Studio files in this folder C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build
and the content in this folder D:\DAZ\Studio\content

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Where do you have DIM set to install your content to?

You need to load DIM, go to the little 'Gear' icon at the top right, and click on the '+' at the bottom of the screen. You can then enter a label and (more importantly) a path to your content folder. In your case D:\DAZ\Studio\content

When you are ready to download and install, go to the Ready to Download tab (or the Ready to Install tab) and put a check mark in the box to 'Show Details'.

From 'Content Path Shortcuts', select where you want the content to go, simple as that.

I have used DIM from the very start, and there is also a manual for it too, but it is simplicity itself. It ALWAYS installs content correctly, as long as you give it the correct path, and take the trouble to make sure that you set that correctly. By default DIM installs to
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library so make sure that you enter your own path, and also make sure that you select it before installing anything. It will remain at the path you selected until told otherwise.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited March 2014

OK I have tried D:\DAZ\Studio\content and D:\DAZ\Studio\ and neither work or won't stick

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't know what you mean, sorry?

Can you post a screenshot of your DIM Installation tab in the Settings pane? When you try to add a new shortcut, what happens exactly?

You want to add the folder which holds the content, which in your case is D:\DAZ\Studio\content. All of the content that would have gone into My DAZ 3D Library (the default) will be installed into there.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

John, I'm confused about what you're running into as well. Maybe these images will help.

Image1 is my download tab -- all the dim installers will download to e:\dim-download. This also shows what items I want to see in the ready to download list.

Image 2 is a list of the Studio content directories I have set up (I'm about to simplify this, but this is what I've got). To add one, press the '+' in the lower left corner; to delete one, highlight it and click the '-'.

Image 3 shows my ready to install tab, with the 'show details' box clicked. Anything I select and install right now will end up in the 'gen5' directory, C:/DAZ3d/library/gen5.

Image 4 shows the drop-down box in the 'show details' area with 'gen5' highlighted; this is where I can pick the target directory before clicking 'start queue'.

Back on image 3 -- if you do NOT click the 'Delete Package Once Installed' box, you can uninstall, pick a different target library, and re-install without having to download the package again.

Image4.jpg
    799 x 733 - 97K
    Image3.jpg
    799 x 733 - 99K
    Image2.jpg
    633 x 739 - 83K
    Image1.jpg
    633 x 739 - 69K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

"DAZ Studio 4 Public Build" is the beta version -- do you have the release version installed, and did you install it with DIM?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

Ok there are some products recently that will not install correctly unless one uses the Install Manager which I really dislike using. The thing never installs anything in the right place no matter how I set it up.I

Care to elaborate on what items "need" DIM, so i know to stay clear of them?

edited March 2014

I don't know if its how it was packaged, right now I am having a problem installing the new advanced distant light set. I can get them to install but none of the functions work.

DIM.JPG
    559 x 522 - 52K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969

Ok there are some products recently that will not install correctly unless one uses the Install Manager which I really dislike using. The thing never installs anything in the right place no matter how I set it up.I

Care to elaborate on what items "need" DIM, so i know to stay clear of them?

Currently the DS beta is the only item which requires DIM. Just bear in mind that one needs to know what one is doing to install manually. Measure Metrics requires some files to be installed to appdata, and the 4th generation bases and morphs require the initialization to be run manually.

edited December 1969

Well right now I am having a problem installing the new advanced distant light set.

Can you post a screenshot of the Settings > Applications tab, and the exact error message you're getting?

edited December 1969

sure

settings.JPG
    564 x 523 - 51K
    edited December 1969

Is it not working in the general release, the beta, or both? Did you install the general release with DIM or with a stand-alone installer?

edited December 1969

BTW, probably not related, but on the Settings > Installation tab the "64-bit Software" and "32-bit Software" fields are wrong -- those are the paths for installing software, and should be "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" in your case.