Default Scenes, Objects, Shaders

Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
edited March 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Okay, it's been a long time since I had to search for Default Scenes, Objects, Shaders for Carrara , but neither the 32 or 64 bit version of Carrara 8.5 have them in their. (all programs had to be re-installed when Upgraded to Win 8.1)

I'm sure it's in my download section, but what is it called.

DAZ loaded the smart objects, but nothing else, so I have no materials, objects or scenes.

nada.jpg
451 x 156 - 15K
Post edited by Design Acrobat on

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Design Acrobat :)

The presets all come in the Carrara Native content installer.
    you can either download that from your account, ...or use DIM to install it.

hope it helps :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited March 2014

Okay, it's been a long time since I had to search for Default Scenes, Objects, Shaders for Carrara , but neither the 32 or 64 bit version of Carrara 8.5 have them in their. (all programs had to be re-installed when Upgraded to Win 8.1)

DAZ loaded the smart objects, but nothing else, so I have no materials, objects or scenes.

I may be mentioning the wrong thing but have you installed the Native Content from your previous version? I am sorry,but am not thinking very clearly these days, but this happened to me. I had to go back to my product library and download it. Is this what you mean?

See atttached.

It says it's part of the bundle for the products below the download info, but I think what's included there isn't the full version. I never understood this and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in and help.

Sorry not to be more helpful....

:-S SileneUK

ETA: Andy, is what I posted what you mean?

1.png
    736 x 917 - 358K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Perfect Silene :)

picture and everything :)

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited March 2014

laurenwbr said:

I may be mentioning the wrong thing but have you installed the Native Content from your previous version? I am sorry,but am not thinking very clearly these days, but this happened to me. I had to go back to my product library and download it. Is this what you mean?

See atttached.

It says it's part of the bundle for the products below the download info, but I think what's included there isn't the full version. I never understood this and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in and help.

Sorry not to be more helpful....

:-S SileneUK

ETA: Andy, is what I posted what you mean?

The only way I could get it to work was to reinstall Carrara 7, then install that Native Content.

That worked for the 32 bit applications, but the 64 bit application still has no objects, scenes or shaders.

Guess I'll have to track down the missing files and put them in myself.

This is very counter intuitive and makes the DIM look like a dumb software that is unable to check the status of what software is installed.

-------------------
    The bottom image are the default objects, shaders and scenes in Carrara 8.5 32 bit PRESETS, AFTER I installed Carrara 7
    The top image (almost empty except for shaders I added) are the presets I had to hand massage to get into Carrara 8.5 64 bit PRESETS.

Even after I let DIM do its thing, it is still empty.

There appears to be a significant design flaw that doesn't allow 64 bit versions to access PRESETS from previous versions.

carrara_8_32_bit.jpg
    451 x 336 - 66K
    carrara_8_64_bit_presets.jpg
    607 x 62 - 8K
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited March 2014

Also notice that only Carrara 8.5 pro 32 Bit has the proper folder title, while Carrara Pro 64 bit is still named Carrara8.

This could be causing a path problem and why DIM fails to work about half the time in 64 bit versions.

I had to install of the presets by hand in the 64 bit version of carrara 8.5. Also, the word "PRO" is missing from any version of Carrara 8 up.

carrara_85_pro_3d_bit.jpg
    511 x 168 - 26K
    carrara_8_64_bit_not_named_properly.jpg
    504 x 153 - 24K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited March 2014

Didn't you have the Native Content in your Product Store separately?

It should have been with Carrara 8 when you bought it. I got it with 8 which was 32 bit. I never had 7. So it should be in your Product Store in your account.

I am a bit confused that I see you have Carrara 8 in your 64bit directory, but you put 8.5 into your (x86) which is the 32bit directory.

As far as I know YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD the Carrara program software with DIM. And I'd NOT choose to download the Native Content with DIM, I'd do it manually. When you download, you have to specify it to go to your 64 bit program files directory where your Carrara 8.5 lives.

You DO need to have that 64-bit DAZ program path specified in DIM for FUTURE Carrara specific products anyways, like new shaders, etc.

In my directory it does NOT label Cararra 8.5 as PRO. But it is. It has the features and downloads as PRO. Someone pointed this out when it first was brought out.

Sorry I can't help more...am not feeling so good today and am not really knowledgeable enough. But I know there are other here who can help. Wish you weren't having so much trouble. I had lots of directory problem etc with DAZ content and it took months to sort out and got there but just hard graft.

xx :( SileneUK

ETA: Oh, I see you explained the directory confusion. Still, I would manually download the Native Content from Carrara 8 into your 64-bit directory where your 8.5 should be living and see if that works. You DID buy Carrara 8.5 PRO, yes? I don't see Render Node in your directory.

I'd uninstall then reinstall manually to the correct directory.

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The thing about DIM is, it is very possessive - if you read the documentation on it, it warns not to use DIM to install to directories that have non-DIM installed stuff in it and not to install stuff to directories that DIM has used.

A few months ago I had a catastrophic failure on my old 32bit machine, although I managed to recover everything, except apps, from the hard drive. DIM was maturing nicely at that point, so I went with a full re-install of everything Daz on my new 64bit machine - including Carrara and Bryce and all purchased content, plugins etc.

I get the updates and just let it do its thing. Everything works perfectly.

Just have to make sure that all purchases from other sources, freebies etc. don't go into the same directories those used by DIM.

This all makes sense to me - DIM keeps a record of what it has installed and where - it has no record of what it hasn't installed - if you mix manually installed and DIM installed, it is sooner or later going to end up in a mess. When you get updates, DIM knows what to uninstall, but if it wasn't installed by DIM, it won't know this and you could get partial overwrites and any other manner of ugly things happening.

So, you either commit to DIM and go all the way, or go manual - don't go mixing them :)