Transparent materials to see inside the model

Maybe everybody knows this, maybe there is a better way to do it. I am making models where I want to see inside during construction. The easiest way I've found to do that is to make a new material and apply it to my geometry. Then I adjust opacity until I can see inside as I please.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited February 2020

Select Faces, CRTL-B to hide selected faces.

Hide object in the scene tab.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,545
    edited February 2020

Good idea but I don't want to hide the geometry. I want to see it and be able to work on it, work in it and around it. I want to make adjustments based on whatever is inside. I want to build inside the outer shell. I want to see how it all fits together. Transparent materials let me do all of this. I freeze the pieces that I want to leave untouched. If hexagon had layers, I might assign the geometry to other layers. But even that has its limits.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

There's a transparency option on the lower tool bar.

When activated, you can select edges and vertexes inside the geometry, but not faces.

transparency.png
    3339 x 2734 - 794K
    edited February 2020

Right. Except that only works when the component is selected. Inside faces can be tricky. Sometimes, have to hide things. Sometimes, I can zoom inside the model and access those faces.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • It depends on the model you are making.

Yes, exactly smiley