Can't get Genesis Male starter essentials to install right.

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

After nuking a previous malfunctioning installation Daz studio 4.5 that i was able to work with for a while for my own content, I just installed 4.6 and then Genesis male starter essentials. When i try to load genesis male the figure, it says some assets are missing and i get a cuby looking figure. It says it's not finding the following file.... /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf. I tried to install it twice. No luck. So much for the install manager doing it's job. I had problems with the previous version installing the daz content as well. What must i do to get this thing functioning right?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The DIM Installs to C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library. Change the Folder paths in DS to that.

Paths.png
    444 x 365 - 51K
  • edited December 1969

Thanks. That seemed to help. However, when tried to save a test scene, Daz tried to save here
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4
    but wouldn't allow it because of permissions. So where are my scenes suppose to save too? The material presets too for that matter. I need to transfer an bunch of scenes and material settings etc.

Thanks for the help.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,009
    edited December 1969

The save dialogue should allow you to set teh location - the \Data folder used for the asset files will be the one in the content directory you save to, if you do, or the one in the first listed DAZ Studio content directory if you save elsewhere - if that's the one in the application folder then you need t use the Content Directory Manager to move a different one to the top of the list, using the bvuttons at bottom-left of Jaderail's screenshot 9which won't be greyed out if you have a folder selected).

• edited December 1969

Ok, so i can save my scenes anywhere is what you saying. What about my material presets? If i recall, if i don't get those in the right folder they wont show up under "presets." It asks me where to save the material presets. Isn't Daz suppose to know where it wants these presets? So are you saying the material presets need to be saved to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data? In the data folder? Man, i thought Daz would be getting more intuitive by now. Daz starts with paths different than where the install manager goes. When you go to save a material preset it doesn't know where to go, but expects you to know.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:
    So where are my scenes suppose to save too?

How are you saving? The standard File>Save As from the menu at the top of the D|S window does indeed assume you know where you want to save, and will let you save anywhere... even in places you shouldn't or places that might cause problems later.

But the safest way (and the way I've always done it in every version of D|S) is to use the Content Library tab. This ensures scenes, objects and presets are saved to an already-recognised content location. Use the Content Library Tab controls to navigate to the folder you want, or create it if it isn't already there, click the "+" button at the bottom of the tab, and select which file type you want to save. It's impossible to save somewhere you shouldn't, because the Content Tab doesn't let you.

There's also the major advantage that anything you save into the Content Library tab can be loaded by looking in the Content Library tab.

• edited December 1969

Thank you SpottedKitty That seems to work just fine.

• edited December 1969

I have a new problem after transferring my scenes. When loading one of my scenes, it couldn't find my obj files. Thankfully I have the .objs backed up, but the error message doesn't give me a complete path. Just this much. /StoneWall/Wall Right Decimated.obj . This does appear to be the old path before I wiped Daz off my computer and installed the latest. How can i get the scene to load the .objs now that the old path does not exist?

edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:
    Thankfully I have the .objs backed up, but the error message doesn't give me a complete path. Just this much. /StoneWall/Wall Right Decimated.obj .

The thing is, that's all the path D|S needs — as long as you saved your old scenes into a content folder, every single loadable content file, whether a scene or a prop or a texture preset, never needs to know where that content folder is, only where the files are inside the content folder. Although even that path you quote isn't quite right, for an .obj file it should start with "/Runtime/Geometries/..." (and "/Runtime/Textures/..." for texture files, if you have problems with those).

You say you have the .obj files backed up. Didn't you put them back into a matching /Runtime/Geometries/ folder after you'd reinstalled? You really have to do this, those files are still needed.

• edited December 1969

The obj are still in this location C:\Users\My name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\DAZ Built-in Content\StoneWall\Walls

so i don't know why it doesn't load. I'm not sure though if that path is a remnant of the previous install or not. When i went from 3.0 to 4,5 things got fubar. Seemed like there was 2 Daz 3d folders and such, That's why I tried to uninstall every remnant of it,put a fresh install of 4.6, and start doing things right. I guess I haven't entirely known what the hell Im doing. So when you save a scene, where are the objs going? I need to know this so i don't have this nightmare again should i need to re-install. If i need to transfer stuff back over from a back up to a fresh install of Daz studio, I need to know where the files need to be that the scenes are going to be looking for.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What product was this from?

• edited December 1969

My own creation.

edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:
    So when you save a scene, where are the objs going?

You've mixed up old Poser-format content files and native D|S-format content files. Whatever your content folder* is named, there should be a /Runtime/ folder inside it. This contains, among others, /Geometries/ and /Textures/ folders for Poser-format files. Your .obj files should go in a folder in /Geometries/ and your textures in a folder in /Textures/

More importantly, when you save your loaded .obj file as a D|S native prop, the .obj "goes" nowhere. The object is converted into native D|S files in the /data/ folder; this is the main file D|S looks for, the original .obj file is only a backup in case your /data/ folder is corrupted or lost.

Like this:

..../data/
    ..../Runtime/
    ............/Geometries/
    ............/Textures/

* Something that always gets people confused, and the way it's been done by DAZ isn't helping. "The content folder" is "the folder set up in D|S as the one where your content is installed", not "the folder named Content".

• edited December 1969

So it's sounds like in order to get those objects back into those "native D|s files," i'm going to have to import those walls into the scenes and re-save them. Gee, that's only going to be several hundred object placements over 35-40 scenes. They all use the same set of wall objects for instance, but i suppose it's to much to hope if i save one repaired scene, that then all the others can see them. Painful lesson.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2014

What is the EXACT error message when it can't find the geometry for the wall?

Screenshot of the error box should be enough...

Also, what format are the scene files in?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • edited December 1969

Here's a pic of the message i get below. I "think" i can locate the .dsf files that are in the geometry folder of the backed up daz directory on my passport drive. For instance right here, F:\_Genie Timeline\0\C\Users\My name\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\auto_adapted\Wall Left Decimated_208913\geometry_ba04eae1_5862_ec59_6175_387eaa6e8afe. The file in that folder is "Wall Left Decimated.dsf." However, the error message is looking for the obj.s. Is it possible to gather the right files off my passport backup and get them into the right place in my new 4.6 install? I backed up my last daz installation to my passport and then wipe every vestige of Daz off my computer and reinstalled 4.6.

Daz_problem.png
    467 x 327 - 26K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:
    Here's a pic of the message i get below. I "think" i can locate the .dsf files that are in the geometry folder of the backed up daz directory on my passport drive. For instance right here, F:\_Genie Timeline\0\C\Users\My name\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\auto_adapted\Wall Left Decimated_208913\geometry_ba04eae1_5862_ec59_6175_387eaa6e8afe. The file in that folder is "Wall Left Decimated.dsf." However, the error message is looking for the obj.s. Is it possible to gather the right files off my passport backup and get them into the right place in my new 4.6 install? I backed up my last daz installation to my passport and then wipe every vestige of Daz off my computer and reinstalled 4.6.

It may be that it's asking for the .obj's because it can't find the .dsf's and is trying to rebuild them, in which case putting the .dsf's in their previous (relative) location should fix it.

• edited March 2014

Problem is i don't know where the correct relative location is. That's the frustrating part. I wish that it would offer another dialog box that would allow you to direct it to the objs to get them.

Update: I fixed one of the scenes that use the objs and now they are available to all my scenes. I was hoping it would do this. Yahooooooo! lol. One happy camper!

Post edited by tktknapp_67259a1036 on
    edited December 1969

BlitzMan said:
    Update: I fixed one of the scenes that use the objs and now they are available to all my scenes.

Good to hear. Yes, that's how it works — all your scene files have pointers looking for exactly the same data or obj files, so if you fix one scene with those "missing" bits that means all the scenes can now find the files.