Bryce 7 Pro very slow

This discussion was created from comments split from: Bryce 7 Pro very slow.

Comments

• bsp70bsp70 Posts: 1

Here it is 2020 and for fun I bought Bryce 7 Pro for $20. Sure glad I didn't pay more because wow, this software is slooooooooow!

I'm using it on a new $4500 computer, so you can be sure it's not the pc's fault.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I split this into a new thread rather than necro-ing a very old one. Unfortunately Bryce is still only 32bit,  so won't actually get much benefit form running on your new system. Bryce is currently not in the dev cycle.

However $20 is peanuts compared to what we older Brycers paid for this.  (multiply by about 10 for each version I think)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,136

bsp70 - don't forget that that Bryce can use up to 8 CPU threads and can also render over your home network (if you've got more than one computer).

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

slow but steady ;)

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited March 2020

Research the various things that make rendering a scene faster or slower, many things can have a dramatic effect in either direction.  Some speed boosts will have drawbacks, but depending on what you are doing many of those drawbacks may be non-existant or insignificant for a specific scene.  It is a complex subject to learn when to do what, but even starting small and just picking out one or two quick things to learn may help you greatly, and you can learn and apply more of them later as you go.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989
    edited October 2020

_ And look at these settings _ default is Normal  _  High  will use Up to 8 CPU threads

2BRYCE_SETT-1F.png
    1200 x 1041 - 134K
    Post edited by ed3D on
  • santi010santi010 Posts: 12

Hi guys

First, thank you for suport & assist. Im rendered images (render to disk) with massive resolution. Time render 1 day aprox. Visit: anima3d.org (for free). Now, im use a i9 with a little OC 4.8 ghz. The render with Premium effect (soft shadows & 64 rays), continue being slow. When render, the cores oscilate 50%, not 100%. Someone has tested with another processor? Xeon, Ryzen,.....I understand that the calculations are complex, but for example, in a Cinebech test, the render is very fast. I know it's a test program, but the cores work 100%.

Thank's.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited April 2020

1. If you have 16 or 24 processor cores (threads), then Bryce can use a maximum of 8.
    2. Think about whether you need to use 64 rpp? Maybe 32?
    3. In addition to soft shadows, a lot of factors affect the duration of the render: the presence of the alpha channel, transparent and volumetric materials, etc.
    For example, the duration of this render size of 1920x1080 was 16.5 hours. Here the flowers have a translucent material. There are soft shadows and lighting HDRI, Render Premium TA 36 rpp.

Want to do a good job, have patience and be able to optimize the scene. This forum has repeatedly discussed such issues.

PS. My computer is AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz. 16 threads (8 cores). And yes, the render never takes up more than 50% of the power.

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • santi010santi010 Posts: 12
    Slepalex said:

1. If you have 16 or 24 processor cores (threads), then Bryce can use a maximum of 8.
    3. In addition to soft shadows, a lot of factors affect the duration of the render: the presence of the alpha channel, transparent and volumetric materials, etc.
    For example, the duration of this render size of 1920x1080 was 16.5 hours. Here the flowers have a translucent material. There are soft shadows and lighting HDRI, Render Premium TA 36 rpp.

Want to do a good job, have patience and be able to optimize the scene. This forum has repeatedly discussed such issues.

PS. My computer is AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz. 16 threads (8 cores). And yes, the render never takes up more than 50% of the power.

ok, thanks for your help

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    santi010 said:
    Slepalex said:

ok, thanks for your help

This render was done in 45 minutes.
    Render Premium True Ambience 36 rpp, soft shadows.

• phartmanphartman Posts: 0

I recently had a problem just moving objects on the screen. (Not in renders) and wonder if it was caused by a new windows update.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,760

I had some trouble with the speed too. I decided to stop it and log off, try later. Did not do that yet.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

The Nano Preview at the top left corner can slow things down depending on the elements of the scene. Try disabling it and see if that speeds things up. I'm quite certain it will.

Rashad: I must have been told before, but I never actually realised. I will disable it to see whether it works. I should also remember, when working with lots of instances, to show them as boxes.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Hansmar,

No doubt. I forget everything repeatedly and then feel impressed that I learned something new!

I should clarify that to disable the Nano Preview means to set it to Sky Only Mode. If you set it to Wireframe Mode it may still make things very slow.

Rashad: Thanks for the additional explanation. I needed that.