question about figure/prop asset save of base g2f

zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

in DazStudio 4.6 Pro

when I save a Support Asset as Figure/Prop Assets

for example I load a Genesis 2 Female in the scene, make my changes, and then save the figure asset

the figure asset saves the morph and uv set Data files from the original G2F figure into my personal figure's directory created when using my name as the author

this is ok except if I purchase a new product with morphs or additional uv sets then the saved figure asset does not have the new morphs or uv sets

I would like to avoid having to manually copy the morph and uv set data files from daz to my directory each time I make a purchase

Is there any way that I can get my saved figure asset to point to the original Daz G2F Data files?

Or, does anyone know of a script which can be used to automate the copy from Daz's G2F directory to my personal figure's directory?

Or, is there some other workflow I should consider?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Why are you even saving G2F or any Genesis figure that way? If you want to save a dial-spun character save as Scene Subset.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,009
    edited December 1969

What are you doing to the figure? Most changes (morph settings, materials and so on) can be saved as presets. New custom morphs can be saved as morph assets without changing the base figure. Only geometry and weight-map changes would usually require the creation of a new asset, explicitly by saving as an asset or implicitly by saving a scene or scene subset.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

I am creating new surface names along with a new uv set

The only way that I have been able to get the additional surface names to remain with the figure is if I saved it as a figure/prop asset

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,009
    edited December 1969

If it isn't saving in a scene please report that as a bug.

It may be simpler, rather than trying to update the morphs, to also save an OBJ (base resolution) with the new materials and mapping, then when you want to add new morphs load the original base base figure, update the geometry, and save over the top of the previous remapped version.

edited December 1969

If it isn't saving in a scene please report that as a bug.

It may be simpler, rather than trying to update the morphs, to also save an OBJ (base resolution) with the new materials and mapping, then when you want to add new morphs load the original base base figure, update the geometry, and save over the top of the previous remapped version.

...not completely understanding your OBJ example...

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing or not so let me try to express my thoughts more clearly (I've had some sleep now :)

- I have loaded a base G2F figure into a scene.
    - I have used the polygon group editor tool to split one surface into multiple surfaces for the purposes of manipulating the materials separately
    - I have saved the scene and can reload the scene while still keeping my new surface names
    - I have saved my new G2F figure as a Figure/Prop Asset because this is the only way I have figured out that I can select an icon from my content tab and get my figure to load with the new surface names still in tact and usable

- The save of the Figure/Prop Asset causes a new directory to be created which contains my new modified Genesis2Female dson support file which contains the new surface names
    - The save also copies the Morphs and the UV Sets data folders from the original base G2F Daz 3D data folders to my new figure's data folders

- At this point I can load my new figure from the content tab and make all the surface material changes that I desire to my new surfaces.
    - I can also still apply existing materials from current G2F products though it is up to me to work with the new surfaces

- If I try to load my new figure without the Morphs and UV Sets data folders existing in my new data folder I will get a message indicating that my figure may not work as expected - so I know that these folders must exist in my new directory

- But, each and every time I install a new product to the Daz base G2F figure I have to manually get the Morphs and UV Sets folders copied from the original Daz base G2F figure directories or I will not be able to apply the new product morphs to my modified version of G2F
    ---ex. created my G2F modified asset before I got the Fiends product... could not use the Fiends morph on my figure until I copied the Daz 3D Morphs folder over my modified asset Morphs folder

- I am trying to figure out the best way to automate the update of the manual copy that I am now performing

--- Could it just be as simple as saving the Figure/Prop Asset file again and allowing it to overwrite???
    -----Load my figure from icon
    -----Immediately save as Figure/Prop asset again
    --------would this cause the complete overwrite of the Morphs and UV Sets data folders

------

Other reason for my inquiry is that I might like to share this product with others and to do so will require that they have to get their original Morphs and UV Sets data folders copied into my new directories

--- I need to know if there is some way that other users can get their initial Morphs and UV Sets data folders copied over or will I just need to document the manual steps required in such a way that anyone should be able to follow how to install and maintain the folders?

--- Also I do not know... will my G2F dson support file work with their morphs and uv sets data folders once copied over or will it error if they do not have the same morphs and uv sets that I used when I created my initial saved asset?
    ----- will they get error warnings that a 'certain' morph is missing should I have saved with a morph that they do not have???
    ----- and if this is the case then would the save Figure/Prop Asset also be the way they can correct for this???

--- I know that I cannot provide the Morphs or UV Sets folders due to copyright

--- I believe that I am allowed to provide others with my saved modified version of the Genesis2Female dson support file and my new UV Set for the newly created surface usage (along with any additional textures, etc that I create for the product)

I have created a mini zipped install that when installed to my library will work in its basic mode once I manually copy over the missing data folders

Hope this is more clear. And, hope that I am on the right track. Thanks for all the help thus far. More Please :)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,847
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    Other reason for my inquiry is that I might like to share this product with others and to do so will require that they have to get their original Morphs and UV Sets data folders copied into my new directories

What you have done is created a copy of the G2F DSF asset files, none of which is legally distributable by you, all you can distribute is the DUF file you got when you used "figure/prop asset", and you'll find it's useless as all of your changes are in the DSF asset files.

What you should have done is, load G2F into an empty scene, modified the surface groups in the Polygon Group Editor, once happy with how it looks you then go "File > Save as > Scene Subset", this will give you a DUF file that will load G2F and any morph/UV DSF files, and just before it displays the figure it will apply your surface group changes to the mesh, as those changes are now stored in the DUF file rather than in the DSF asset files.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Zawarkal said:

What you have done is created a copy of the G2F DSF asset files, none of which is legally distributable by you, all you can distribute is the DUF file you got when you used "figure/prop asset", and you'll find it's useless as all of your changes are in the DSF asset files.

What you should have done is, load G2F into an empty scene, modified the surface groups in the Polygon Group Editor, once happy with how it looks you then go "File > Save as > Scene Subset", this will give you a DUF file that will load G2F and any morph/UV DSF files, and just before it displays the figure it will apply your surface group changes to the mesh, as those changes are now stored in the DUF file rather than in the DSF asset files.

okay, thank you!!

I will look into this work flow. This sounds so much easier.