MAXDefault 2

joramabbasjoramabbas Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

When I saw this product, I thought Wow, my render times will dramatically improve. But after buying it, the folder only contained one file, Bryce6 scene. I manually installed it in the preset folder, as I'm not able to install any Bryce products using INSTALL MANAGER.
But I'm now stuck on how to use it as no instruction/notes came with with the product

However,according to the product store,

What's Included & Features

Features
Import. Render. Simple as that!
Faked Global Illumination for Bryce 6
Hide the backdrop and texture the dome above for fake HDRI with similar results, lower render times
Three-point studio lighting
Ability to change light position
Large matte backdrop for excellent contrast
Detailed Help file

Also, the description says that its an update to the successful MaxDefault

. But its not available in the store.

Has anyone been able to use the product, if yes, I would appreciate some guidance.

Best Regards

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I haven't used the product, but reading up on it, it looks like it's just a simple lighting rig scene in which you can import your models.

So to use it, all you need to do is open Bryce and then in the open file menu, navigate to the scene file and open it.
    Then using the Import Object option, get what you want to render, position and size it and click render (I presume the render settings have already been optimised for the lighting rig set up).

Hope this helps.

PS: Anytime you get a particularly nice lighting set up, it's worth saving a blank (no geometry except for the ground plane) version f the scene and give it a recognisable name so you can use it as a base for any similar scenes you may wish to set up.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited December 1969

I manually installed it in the preset folder, as I'm not able to install any Bryce products using INSTALL MANAGER.
    But I'm now stuck on how to use it as no instruction/notes came with with the product

The install manager was made for Studio content. I have a PDF on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Mine > Diverse > Bryce Content FAQ. Here is the direct link http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf. This document was prepared exactly for that reason.

Like TheSavage64 I haven't MAXDefault but after looking at it, I think he has given you good advice.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I could well be wrong, but I have one lighting set up I downloaded ages ago, which was actually set up as an obp, so was imported into the preset library. I wonder if this one is similar?

• joramabbasjoramabbas Posts: 45
    edited March 2014

Maybe I'm not understanding how to use the product

When I opened the scene and tried to play with it, the render time was awful! What I see are loads of lights-basically old school lighting.

When I got rid of the lights and used IBL with HDRI image lighting, the rendering time was 80% faster.

However, I think this product has potential to be tuned/developed to some powerful lighting preset.
    My question to developers, is there away you could come up with individual IBLs that could be used as individual lights?

scene1.JPG
    1123 x 563 - 49K
    Post edited by joramabbas on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited December 1969

My question to developers, is there away you could come up with individual IBLs that could be used as individual lights?

Light domes made of individual radials give excellent light but the render time is high. We've used such in Bryce 6.1. Bryce 7.1 has efficient dome and fill lights. IBL stand for Image Based Light and the initial idea was for rendering with natural light (RNL). One image encompasses the entire scene and lights it from all around.

If you're looking for lights that can be independently coloured, you can use radials with gels - at a render time penalty. You can, of course, create an HDRI artificially that suits your needs. I have a couple of videos on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo and you find quite a few videos about IBL and Faking a spherical HDRI panorama. There are also tutorials that come with Bryce that cover that topic. You should find them in your Bryce main folder under Content > Tutorials > Horo Wernli > Start.html.

• joramabbasjoramabbas Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I appreciate for directing me to great tutorials, as I believe in Bryce to being a great product, I'll check-them out.

Regards