Depth filter for creating Facebook 3D Images

Facebook has added the ability to upload 3D Photos. Folks are creating these images using depth-sensing smartphones & Apps.

These 3D Photos can also be created in Photoshop using two images, the first a normal photo (or Daz render) and the second (with an identical file name, but "_depth" added as a suffix) to represent the depth in the image.

For the greyscale depth image, dark areas represents what is furthest from the camera and light areas represent what is closest to the camera.

I have had some success and fun turning Daz renders into 3D Facebook photos using Daz renders and Photoshop layers, but it is quite time consuming and fiddly.

It would be great if Daz, or an enterprising creator, could produce some kind of filter or script to automatically create the depth images that relate to a given render, similarly to how Daz generates pseudo depth-of-field, giving us the ability to easily create 3D Facebook images.

Puddles

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I have tried depth masks

not using iray as that needs canvases and my softwares don't read the files it creates

in Octane mosly

but honestly the post work ones work better just masking out where you want the different scales of grey and making it very blurry

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    edited March 2020

This is not a job for DS, but rather the render engine.  I kind of doubt that Nvidia will support this kind of gimmick in future, but you never know.  For now, Iray can give you depth canvasses, but they don't show fine detail and they work in steps, rather than continuous tones.  Their purpose is to provide a mask for postwork effects. 

Here's an example of the kind of thing you can expect from a depth canvas with a beauty canvas for comparison.  I've included the EXR file, which you can open in Ps, The Gimp or whatever.  It's a high dynamic range image and you'll need to adjust exposure to see anything.

You can obviously adjust contrast and brightness to change the differences in gray values.

test-Canvas1-Beauty.png
    1067 x 600 - 2M
    test-Canvas4-Depth.png
    1067 x 600 - 832K
    zip
    zip
    test-Canvas4-Depth.zip
    2M
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

If your already a user of Photoshop or Affinity Photo, you might have interest in Topaz labs Lens Effects plug-in.

https://topazlabs.com/lens-effects/

The Depth map creation with it is very unsung in the promo material so check out the tutorials on YT.