Bake Geoshells onto Materials?

Is there any way to bake a Geoshell onto the base material? I have some Geoshell based elements that I would very much like to use on models exported to Blender, but sadly Geoshells tend to not agree nicely with... well... anything not daz.

Even more annoyingly, they do not use the same base UVs thus I cannot simply shrug and edit the file in gimp to overlay them.

Advise please?

Comments

• Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 493

This is a reason, why I try to avoid Geoshells. Unfortunately I have no solution, but I would be interested as well.

• You could use Map Transfer to put the images on the same UVs, then composite them.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited March 2020

They do use the same UVs as the models they are on. That is why it is called a geo-shell. It is a geometric copy (shell) of the underlying goemetry. Unless someone purposely remapped it.

You simply take the images off the geoshell and put them onto the actual model that the geoshell is made from. Then export the actual model that the geo-shell was made from. (Go to the geo-shell material. Select any material, like the face. COPY it, and then go to the model and "PASTE" that material onto the model.)

EG, If you put the modles "skin" on the shell, it is a perfect UV-mapping to the original model. It is literally just a clone of the original model, but simply "scaled" proportional to the "normal" direction and values of the faces.

If the UV is remapped... Try removing the geo-shell from the model. Then set the offset to 0.0cm... Now, when it exports, it has the same exact "geometry", as the original model. You can "Remap" the images to the default UV, if you also have the default model exported as well.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • JD_Mortal said:

They do use the same UVs as the models they are on. That is why it is called a geo-shell. It is a geometric copy (shell) of the underlying goemetry. Unless someone purposely remapped it.

No, a Geometry Shell can have diferent surface settings - including UV set  -from the base. That is one of the ways in whch it differs from an instance.

JD_Mortal said:

You simply take the images off the geoshell and put them onto the actual model that the geoshell is made from. Then export the actual model that the geo-shell was made from. (Go to the geo-shell material. Select any material, like the face. COPY it, and then go to the model and "PASTE" that material onto the model.)

Well, presumably there are already maps on the model - that would be why a shell was used to layer a second map on top.

JD_Mortal said:

EG, If you put the modles "skin" on the shell, it is a perfect UV-mapping to the original model. It is literally just a clone of the original model, but simply "scaled" proportional to the "normal" direction and values of the faces.

If the UV is remapped... Try removing the geo-shell from the model. Then set the offset to 0.0cm... Now, when it exports, it has the same exact "geometry", as the original model. You can "Remap" the images to the default UV, if you also have the default model exported as well.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

You could use Map Transfer to put the images on the same UVs, then composite them.

Thank you. I'll do that.

Also linking a Tutorial because someone might search this up eventually.

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-The-Map-Transfer-Utility-368686796

Does this still apply?

• shoei321shoei321 Posts: 113

Hi, I landed on this thread after trying in vain to accomplish this same thing.    I'm unable to get the Map Transfer Utility to work with Geometry shells unfortunately -- when I select the Geometry Shell in the utility, the Genesis 8 target UVs aren't listed.    

Can anyone provide some step-by-step guidance on how to bake a geometry shell's materials down to native Genesis UVs?

Thanks

• shoei321shoei321 Posts: 113

When I try to load the G8F UVSet on to the Geometry Shell that I want to transfer maps from, it fails with this in the log "Facet count mismatch - cannot load UV Set".    The Geometry Shell is based on a G8F figure with a geograft applied, which I suspect is the cause of the issue.    How do I create a UVSet that includes UVs for the full geografted geometry?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited April 2020

you can also conform a second figure or do what I do, export an obj with subdivision so the HD morphs are baked in if it has them (hide figure and lashes) then import that and use the transfer utility to conform it as clothing

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Anyone done this with Let It Snow? By design anvil.

Thanks in advance