Smart content links broken

I installed DAZ 4.6 Pro on a new computer and I've been migrating my stuff over to it. In doing so, I moved all the content from the default directory, which was in Windows public folder, to a new folder which was meant to help my old scenes find the content they needed (the scenes were looking in the wrong place for morphs).

I used the content manager to map the new directory, and some things work fine, but all the smart content is still looking in the old folder. How do I get my smart content pointing in the right direction? I saw lots of options in the Smart Content tab options, but I'm afraid to make a mistake that will require reinstalling!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The CMS is a database, it doesn't really care where anything actually is...but once it does know where it is, that's where it thinks it always will be...unless you rebuild the database. Basically, you'll need to recreate the database with everything pointing to the new location...and I'm not sure the best way to go about that, other than scrapping the current one and creating a new one.

• edited December 1969

...so probably better to reconstruct those few scenes and put the content back where it began.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

All of the actual scene file references are relative (if the scenes are saved to a DS-format content folder), so as long as both locations are listed scenes should be able to find them.

If you've made your own custom categories, Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data will save that information to the Support folder; if you jut use the metadata that comes with the products you can skip that step. Then Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database to get rid of the old links, and Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata to add the new locations to the database.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

gump1 said:
    ...so probably better to reconstruct those few scenes and put the content back where it began.

Object links in a saved scene file and database links in Smart Content aren't the same thing — once a scene is saved, all the links in the scene file point to the same data structures that the Smart Content database links point to, your saved scenes will still work.
  • edited December 1969

I reinstalled DAZ in the default location (the public documents folder in windows) and now I have no problem.
    Incidentally, if you're changing computers, don't forget to locate and transfer over any custom morphs you've made, which are buried in the data folders.
    Thanks for the help!