Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle WIP

GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
edited March 2020 in Art Studio

I've been on a bit of a TMNT kick lately, so I decided on a whim to see if I could construct a decent semblance of a hero in a half-shell in Poser.  The best morph and texture set I could find was Turtle Power by Joe Quick on ShareCG.  Since it was for G3M, I tried for a couple of days to convert it to G8F, for which I have a male base morph.  The main reason is that I have many more morphs available for G8F that I can use to customize and refine the shape.  In particular, the snout needed to be larger and rounder if it was to come at least within a stone's throw of the classic 1990s look.  Alas, no matter what I tried, the morph didn't quite transfer properly.  There was always some weird mesh issues between the fingers and toes.  What I ended up doing was using some new tricks I'd learned with Daz's Transfer Utility to apply G8F morphs to a G3M mesh.  Then, for some reason, morphs that worked perfectly well in DS would mysteriously have no effect in Poser, even though all previously installed morphs worked just fine in both.  I could recreate the morphs directly in Poser by loading the relevant OBJs, but that made it less likely that DSON woiuld be able to fit any clothing to the figure.  I also realized that I couldn't subdivide G3M in Poser like I could G8 for some reason.  The ultimate solution was to shape and pose the character in DS, export the main figure and the shell as OBJs, assemble the two in Poser, apply SuperFly materials, and render.  This is the result of that process.

In addition to sculpting the snout, I also shrank and re-angled the eyes somewhat, added some more toned muscle, made the limbs a bit more evenly proportioned, and enlarged the character to a more human-like height than the original morph.  Personally, I see echoes of the 2012 Nickelodeon CGI series in the resulting body shape, which I actually like in more subtle dosage, despite that look being my least favorite in its full form.  The head is, like I said, my current best attempt to push more in the direction of the 1990 live-action film.

As you might be able to guess, this is just the preliminary work.  I'll shortly be refining the textures/shaders and adding some clothing/gear.  If anyone knows of any useful accessories (e.g. Japanese-style weapons, diagonal belts, martial-artsy poses), expecially freebies, please don't hesitate to share the links here.  I'm particularly unsure of how I'm going to create the famous colored eye mask (or bandana, or whatever it's called).  My best idea right now is to convert a Genesis 1 body suit and make all but the relevant zones invisible, but then there's the matter of the knot in the back.

As always, I welcome any comments, be they positive or constructively critical.

NinjaTurtle.jpg
900 x 900 - 391K
Post edited by Gregorius on

Comments

• trojanx97trojanx97 Posts: 36

is there anyway i can buy this character from you ?

if so please email me at [email protected]

• CassLightwingCassLightwing Posts: 17
    edited May 2021

I too am VERY interested, though I'm not sure JoeQuick would approve lol

I have been lurking and following this project with GREAT interest!!

I have a NEED to do TMNT Vs Aliens...

Post edited by CassLightwing on
  • Ooh I may be a year late, just seeing this, but it looks awesome!