Texture add-ons

Looking through my wishlist, I noticed how most products I have there are texture add-ons. And, even though they're on my wishlist, chances are that I'll never purchase most of them. Most of the texture add-ons I did buy, I bought with some pro-bundle, since,
1. I was interested in them in the first place.
2. They helped lower the price of the pro-bundle more than they cost, or more or less cost the same as the pro-bundle would be discounted.
In general, they're in my wishlist "just in case I want to use an outfit but it could use a little change". But, on those cases, it's fairly probable for me to just grab some generic shaders instead. Which is a bit of a shame, since the people who made those textures specifically for some outfit did spend a lot of work on it as well.

It's pretty rare for me to buy texture add-ons otherwise. Sometimes when they have a really big discount I do, and in some very specific and extremely rare cases because they really raised an outfit to an entirely new level (an example of this would be Aeon Souls' Everyday 2 outfit).

So, maybe it'd be an idea to have some event revolving specifically around these texture add-ons for outfits? Maybe not an entire month, but twice a year for a week could work? Like, around the sun solstices or equinoxes or something like that, as a reference to their symbolic meaning as a time of change?
Ofcourse, such an event, however short, would be even nicer if it came with some themed new products as well, and some things that would fit well in my opinion, would be products for old generation figures updated to newer generations (but specifically capable of using any old texture add-ons they might've had), Iray updates for 3Delight products (including, but not limited to, outfits, figures, environments, props and lights), maybe even some old figures updated to Genesis 8.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion, but texture makers need some love too. :)

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Great observation!

I noticed that too- that my wishlist has a majority of textures on it.

Sometimes textures add new life to an outfit or fittingly, are actually the best textures and should have been the default set.

I also hold back getting add-ons when I haven't even used the main item yet. 

It used to be that textures were always the FREE weekly items so that you might be propted to buy the main outfit if you already got the textures.

I have no idea if that is still the practice and how it worked when it was.

---------

I sometimes wonder why only clothing gets additonal textures when Apartments and rooms could really benefir from a different look.

Like if someone cleaned up spaces or added dirty/worn textures to a space.

• I find texture add-ons to be among the least appealing products.  I'm not the most sophisticated user of Daz Studio, but I can use the shader packs I own to retexture any hair and most of the clothing, props, and envronment items I use, including replacing 3DL surfaces with IRAY materials.  I really don't like to see vendors sell us a bare-bones item and then hope we will buy the additional textures as a second item, either from the same vendor or with a collaborator who is in on the deal.  Far too many items included in Starter and Pro bundles are stripped-down, one- or two-texture items.  I'm much more likely to pay $18 for an item with many texture options than $10 for a limited basic item and then $10 more to have more texture options.  It's less about the $2 extra bucks, and more about the principle.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I don't look at discounted rates; say it's a PC Plus item, to be worthy it has to be worth the full price, otherwise the percentage off is just a con.

Generally, products are worthy of the full price.