modelled cobblestone street sections

modelled cobblestone street sections

and modelled brick facades for medieval  buildings.

bump maps without artifacts.

Comments

• i'd love this as well. would seem like and somewhat easy thing to make too, for those that know how. 

• I found this to be extremely difficult to do in Daz because the stones are so small, and so you would have to insert a lot of them. In my Medieval city block set, I initially modelled cobblestones and it pushed the poly count to over a million. I eventually combined modelled stones with bump maps and then projected them both onto the same UV maps. That way, only about 20-30% of the stones were modelled and even so, my poly counts were waaay higher than I wanted. I thought of using instances, but it would take forever to lay them out, while still following the slope of the ground, because of the more structured pattern. I'll keep experimenting, but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. 

• One option would be to have modelled versions for near at hand and a flat version with normal or bump maps for more distant. You could instance those sections less painfully than instancing individual stones.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited February 2023

I once tried instancing hundreds of bricks then building something
    soon gave up

that was before Totte's scripts though
    https://www.daz3d.com/stackem-up
    https://www.daz3d.com/auto-paver

I don't own them as I mostly work in other software where instancing is as easy as holding a key

LMB alt and drag in Unreal Engine LMB Shift in Twinmotion, duplicate in Carrara and it places the subsequent ones the same distance and rotation away from the last

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

One option:

Handle cobble geometry as a displacement map.

Do the road in sections. Change the subd based on distance to the camera.

That should get you some control of how much detail sections have.

• That's actually a pretty good idea Oso.
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

It happens sometimes!

heheh

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

As someone who doesn't model, but uses said objects, I would love small sections. Just enough for in front of a building(s) or a small scene to keep the overall strain on my computers down.

Sometimes I don't need a full city, I just need enough for the scene section.

Make it of any size and I will buy it. Love your stuff @BradCarsten.

• memcneil70 said:

As someone who doesn't model, but uses said objects, I would love small sections. Just enough for in front of a building(s) or a small scene to keep the overall strain on my computers down.

Sometimes I don't need a full city, I just need enough for the scene section.

Make it of any size and I will buy it. Love your stuff @BradCarsten.

Thank you @memcneil. Much appreciated. smiley