dForce Chains \ Ropes ?

Would love to see dForce chains or ropes that you could simulate so they swing or hang realistically
Been thinking about all sorts of decorative possibilities

dforceropes.jpg
720 x 440 - 116K

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

I was just thinking about experimenting with this last night. Guess I'll give it a shot and report back with my findings.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265
    Gordig said:

I was just thinking about experimenting with this last night. Guess I'll give it a shot and report back with my findings.

Nice!!

Here's what I've been able to do so far. I haven't found the right combination of settings to prevent stretching or tearing while not exploding, but this is a pretty good start.

That is looking amazing.... can't wait to see how this progresses 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

If you're trying to pose something with links like that, you might want to look into IK chains.   They won't be that much help with a rope.

• MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

Def have the chains and ropes rigged so that we can pin parts of them to create more dramatic drapes and styles.

JeremyD said:

That is looking amazing.... can't wait to see how this progresses 

Unfortunately, I may have taken this as far as I can for now with my still quite limited understanding of all the intricacies of dForce. Adding more links to the chain leads to them falling through each other, and creating a necklace chain that fits an actual Daz figure just melts and explodes.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693

^Part of the problem might be that it's not really designed for hard surfaces at the moment - not to say that it's not doable but you'd need to delve into all the technical threads on dforce. Explosions due to mesh intersection are something that can happen even with cloth designed for it.

That’s definitely true, and something like this would be so much easier if DS had a proper physics engine. 

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    Gordig said:

That’s definitely true, and something like this would be so much easier if DS had a proper physics engine. 

True. In the meantime, whilst chains and hair remain a problem, maybe ropes could work as they could be made from a single mesh.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

It doesn't have chains, but this product has ropes: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-dforce-ropes-vines-and-tubes

Gordig said:

I've been dreaming of this...

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    JeremyD said:
    Gordig said:

I've been dreaming of this...

Dream no more. Check out the Dynamic chains for DS over at Rosity. (swt-dforce-dynamic-chains)

well, that definitely looks promising...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    Hi! Yeh,the reason my set has no chain is that I keep going back and experimenting, but there's so far no way to dforce a chain without it falling apart or exploding. Dforce just wasn't made for intersecting rigid bodies. If we get a rigid body solution for dForce, though, I'll be all over it!
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

There is a new product over at rendo with Dforce dynamic chains... about to shop and test it today... just FYI wink

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148

Exciting stuff with huge possibilities once it is working smoothly.

edited April 2020

First quick test with dForce chains - some minor errors but have to play with it more... (reflections left and right came from light ring rig)

Post edited by Lothar Weber on
    edited April 2020

Another quick and dirty test - now scaled down the chain

SWT Chains test 2.png
    1900 x 1069 - 1M
    Post edited by Lothar Weber on

Exciting stuff Lothar!

JeremyD said:

Exciting stuff Lothar!

Exciting product... experimenting is worth it. Cause there are so many options you can turn it right or... complete mess it up laugh

Is it easy to hang things from the chain? I think the animated demo had a swinging ball and chain.. how easy is it to do that?
    JeremyD said:
    Is it easy to hang things from the chain? I think the animated demo had a swinging ball and chain.. how easy is it to do that?

Still fiddling with that. It's possible to "lock" one element of the chain somehow... as I said still experimenting. But possibilities are there if you understand Daz Studio... for me it's adventurous;-)