Error preventing opening a Carrara file

RestifRestif Posts: 61
edited April 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I have had this now on 2 computers, the same error. I'll work on a scene, go back to it a day or so later and it can't open it. Not every scene does this happen to but some.

This is the first time in so many years that I've had any such problem, and I am concerned it is a crap shoot to try to work on a big scene and then not be able to open it again.

it is ' An End of the file error occured when executing open...'

Has anyone seen this type of error?

Post edited by Restif on

Comments

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

This happens a lot.

If you are on a Macintosh, rename the file "whatever.car.gz" and then double-click it to decompress. Try opening the new file.

If you are on Windows, go download 7-zip, then rename the file and right-click. Use 7-Zip to "Extract here...", and try opening that file.

A couple tips:

Don't use Carrara compression. If you need to save space, use the operating system compression (Macs have it too, it's just harder to enable)

Never save while exiting (you go to exit Carrara, and get a dialog saying "Save", "Don't Save", "Cancel"). Hit "cancel" and go back to save before exiting.

Always and frequently run the three commands from the Edit menu: "Remove Unused Objects", "Remove Unused Shaders", and "Consolidate Duplicate Shaders"

Try to set figures and clothing up in a separate scene, then save to the browser and drag it into your final scene. The less you do in your final scene, the more stable it will be.

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited April 2014

Good info, I did this and tried but no luck. I will remember to not save upon closing. Not sure if my scenes are retrievable

Another problem I am having is I can't save items to the browser, I use to but can't now; I get an I/O error.

In the past I've tried to save figures but the clothing never fits and I have to replace once I reload. Some odd things in Carrara lately.

Post edited by Restif on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow... Fenric...
    Thanks for this. I'll see to it that this info doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
    There's a lot of valuable topics that I need to get indexed... this awesome post just clinched it... so on behalf of the Carrara Information Manual thread, I thank you!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I had sometimes this problem and, like Fenric says it: it is preferable not to compress the large files.
    There is a thing which I must add to the councils of Fenric, “save as” regularly, but also to close the program and from time to time to start it again.
    Little time ago, I worked a whole Sunday on a scene which I safeguarded regularly, the following day, impossible to open any the made safeguards Sunday (there was about 20).
    I added the extension .rar then decompressed, but nothing functioned…
    Thank you for the infos and especially for the tip “not to record by leaving the program”, I will try to think of it…

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI restif2004 :)

What version of Carrara,. and what OS .. Mac or PC ?

Are you clearing out any unused Objects / Shaders etc,.. before you save..
    EDIT / Remove unused / ...
    These left over items can cause issues when reloading,. so it's best to clean out the junk before you save.

If you're working in BIG scenes,...

Create a working folder in your My Objects,. then save Actors, props, scenery etc,.. as assets you can load easily.

You say you're having issues when saving objects to the browser,..
    Can you provide any more information,..
    Which objects ? Carrara made Models, Shaders, Clips ?

You should be able to save any scene element to the browser, using the My Objects, My Shaders, My Scenes, etc

I've only seen the IO error when trying to load a genesis scene (by accident) into C8

• edited December 1969

I really dont understand why i loss 4 days of work, i do everything right and lots of time with big scene i loose everything. This happened for years. I really love Carrara but it stay with all errors never corrected. Why Daz dont you sell this incredible software to a company who will make it better. There is now only for Daz studio.
    A new message now and i have 16 copy of my works that do not want to open.

"A not type error occurred while executing Open..."

Capture_d’écran_2015-02-23_à_22.59_.53_.png
    449 x 157 - 26K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

It's also a good idea to reboot once in a while. My machine only reboots if an OS update forces it (or I need to reboot into Windows for something), otherwise it's up and running 24/7 -- work during the day, Carrara in the evenings (or X-Plane etc), and rendering overnight. But it'll slow down and maybe start giving errors if I don't reboot it at least once or twice in a week.

• edited December 1969

I reboot before rendering to be sure all computers will works correctly with grid.
    Maybe Carrara have limit with the size of file, my last is 2,5 gigas. Maybe too much. But too bad.

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    This happens a lot.

Don't use Carrara compression. If you need to save space, use the operating system compression (Macs have it too, it's just harder to enable)

I had this problem recently. Following the advice of Fenric, I have not compressed the file. Finally: a crash.
    With the compressed file, no worries !
    (uncompressed = 2.15 GB)
    Try to understand !?!

Finally, the best solution is: "save as" often or duplicate

• edited December 1969

I dont compress for years and i save only with save has and change the name all times. Sometimes i have 40 files of the project with progression and if i have a problem with my last file i can load another one. This time i can't open no one of my sixteen different saved works.
    I try whatever.car.gz from Fenric but doesn't work for me, it make a CPGZ extension...I try to rename .rar but not good too.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I reboot before rendering to be sure all computers will works correctly with grid.
    Maybe Carrara have limit with the size of file, my last is 2,5 gigas. Maybe too much. But too bad.
    Man, I hope that, one day, I can justify owning Grid and being able to use it! :ahhh:
    I would love to see that many buckets rendering out my stuff!
  • FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

If you aren't compressing, then there's no point to renaming and trying to un-compress.

About all I can suggest are the things I said before:

- Prepare any major pieces of your scene in separate files (and close and restart Carrara in between), and do only the bare minimum scene assembly in the "final" scene. But...
    - It is best to load Poser and Studio content "fresh" (from their native formats). The more often these cycle through your browser, the more likely something is to break.
    - In particular, avoid saving Poser or Studio content back to the browser if it was loaded from the browser to begin with.
    - Saved files and "the browser" are synonymous so don't do that, either.
    - Never save textures "internally", always "externally".
    - Remove Unused / Consolidate duplicate every time you load something (unless you're using Shader Doctor - do that before consolidating).
    - 64 bit system? Turn texture spooling off!
    - Don't mix Carrara versions: I have had instability with old files between each major upgrade (7 to 8, 8 to 8.5). Re-save your browser Scenes and Objects (it's in the browser menu) - it'll take forever, but things will often work better afterwards.

And Genesis/DUF content makes your scene files easily 10 times the size, so consider whether you really have to use that.

• MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Had the same issue (too many times!!!!) ... damn frustrating.

I have had some success in the past with recovering the scene, where a file would not open/load.

Try creating a blank scene then Import your bad file into the new scene.
    I have had this work a number of times, but not a sure thing.

Good Luck
    Alan

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Moviehawk said:
    Had the same issue (too many times!!!!) ... damn frustrating.

I have had some success in the past with recovering the scene, where a file would not open/load.

Try creating a blank scene then Import your bad file into the new scene.
    I have had this work a number of times, but not a sure thing.

Good Luck
    Alan

Another trick to try, thanks !