Will the M6/V6 HD characters take more computer resources?

McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
edited April 2014 in New Users

I'm still very new to DAZ and the HD characters were released shortly after I arrived.

That being said, I've chosen NOT to use them (gorgeous as they are) for fear they will take more resources from my new but basic computer (lots of RAM but no dedicated graphics card).

Am I assuming correctly or am I worrying over something needlessly? I've been known to do that before, :-)

System specs - i5, 2.90Ghz, Quad core, 64-bit, on board graphics, 16Gb ram

Note - I have been watching the boards to get an answer to this question but have not seen anyone really complaining about computers slowing down because they are working with the HD stuff. Maybe this is a total non-issue.

Post edited by McKinnan on

Comments

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

McKinnan said:
    I'm still very new to DAZ and the HD characters were released shortly after I arrived.

That being said, I've chosen NOT to use them (gorgeous as they are) for fear they will take more resources from my new but basic computer (lots of RAM but no dedicated graphics card).

Am I assuming correctly or am I worrying over something needlessly? I've been known to do that before, :-)

System specs - i5, 2.90Ghz, Quad core, 64-bit, on board graphics, 16Gb ram

Note - I have been watching the boards to get an answer to this question but have not seen anyone really complaining about computers slowing down because they are working with the HD stuff. Maybe this is a total non-issue.

I think the HD characters do use more memory than the non-HD versions and the HD characters do take somewhat longer to render. The HD characters are only supported on the 64-bit version of DAZ, and I expect the extra memory is why.

It looks like you have lots of memory, so I don't think it should be a problem. I have only rendered HD characters as the only character in the scene, so memory usuage wasn't a big issue. For the figures like V6, M6, S6, O6 the added details are mostly in the hands and feet, maybe the elbows and knees. For things like Creature Creator HD of course that does not apply, and the HD detail is all over.

• McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great feedback mark128 and appreciated! Maybe I'll finally pop for the FW-Dan character I've been drooling over the past couple of months :-) When he's back on sale that is!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The answer is yes. The New HD resolution takes more RAM and CPU cycles to calculate lighting and shading. Not as much as you might think but the time does increase to do the calculations needed. And like any render it will all depend on settings and type of render. A Close up will take much longer than another render would.

• edited December 1969

Honestly i use The Intel HD 3000 card for daz,for other programs i use my Nvidia GTX 480 card :D
    I have powerful computer (Intel core i5,8G RAM,Nvidia GTX 480)
    The intel card runs it without problems,so don't worry,It works perfect.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Honestly i use The Intel HD 3000 card for daz,for other programs i use my Nvidia GTX 480 card :D
    I have powerful computer (Intel core i5,8G RAM,Nvidia GTX 480)
    The intel card runs it without problems,so don't worry,It works perfect.
    Umm... that only applies if you use the OpenGL render settings. If you use the 3Delight render option (Quality 4) your CPU and Ram are used. The GPU only runs the Viewport for a Full Quality render.
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for your insights!! I think I'm going to give things a try on my next project provided a good sale comes along. I do always have the DAZ 30 day to fall back on. That just rocks so much!! Will report back, but it could be awhile :-)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

McKinnan said:
    Thank you all for your insights!! I think I'm going to give things a try on my next project provided a good sale comes along. I do always have the DAZ 30 day to fall back on. That just rocks so much!! Will report back, but it could be awhile :-)
    With your system spec, I wouldn't worry too much. While the HD figures do indeed use up a few more resources while rendering (considerably more), you have more than enough RAM and CPU power to render at full quality quite happily.

I have a sister machine, similar to yours in specifications, and it runs Daz Studio perfectly happily with HD figures even with a full scene included. One thing to be aware of is that the HD only appears at render time, so your viewport, and therefore Daz Studio, runs at the usual pace you would expect. The figures in your viewport will appear to be in standard definition until then.

edited December 1969

@HeraldOfFire - wow! I did not know that and, really, it was the working environment I was most concerned about. Thank you!