Installing content into Bryce from Daz via DIM

dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Ok I am not a new user to Bryce, however I did just upgrade to 7pro (from 5) and purchased a few items of content from Daz. I fired up DIM downloaded, told DIM where the install path of Bryce7 was, it installed the content but Bryce didn't show it in the objects library. I looked and I did find it in the preset/content folder so I added it manually in the objects library by creating a new category then importing. Is this normal or did I miss something? I also see that the new created category didn't create a new file like I expected. None of the presets indicate a size or date change, which I thought it would. The objects library shows the new category and content just fine though.

Anyway I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or is this normal. If it is I will just not install with DIM and unzip then manually import into a new category.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,168
    edited December 1969

@dbdigital2 - DIM doesn't work for Bryce. It's a tool made for DS. Just download what you've purchased and unpack the zip in a temporary folder of your choice. Then unpack it with retaining the folder structure. This document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf shows where all the stuff you find in the zip belongs.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Ok for some reason I thought it would have given a warning or not download via DIM at all just as Bryce itself won't. Ah well, anyway I did get it work as I said, a slightly different method but then again I am not new to Bryce so I knew how to get the content in.

Daz should have some sort of comment about needing to download Bryce content manually. And better yet not have it show up in DIM at all. Ah well no big deal (for me anyway), thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2014

Content is supposed to work in DIM. I think the trick is probably going to be getting the install path set up correctly

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hmm well it did install to C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\Content but it should have installed the .obp file to C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\Objects\Installed

Not hard to move it, but seems like it could have put it in the presets/objects folder the proper folder in the first place. So close yet so far away applies :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Where do you have Bryce installed, and what Operating System? DIM should be able to install Bryce content, and my understanding was that some older versions of Bryce required a manual step but that newer ones did not. I have Bryce installed outside of the Program Files hierarchy to avoid Windows interfering with them.

edited December 1969

Windows 6 and as I said previously C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7 And this is Bryce 7 so there shouldn't be a manual step. As far as I can tell this particular package (looked inside the original zip DIM downloaded) has everything set to install to the content folder so it may not be DIM's fault but the PA that designed the product. Also there are some templates included, but they could have been put in the content folder and the .obp file in the object presets. Another possibility is this product/package could be from way back before DIM.

Anyway not a big deal, I have a few more products to install and will see if they install properly with DIM. If not I can do it manually, it is not hard either way.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I suspect it's Win7 protecting the Program Files (x86) hierarchy, so that the files aren't really where they appear to be.

edited December 1969

Nope, if that was the case I would be able to move the file. Sure there is a "are you sure you want to do this" but I click yes and as long as you have admin rights, no problems at all. And moved into presets/objects with Bryce loading the library without any issues.

So the file is exactly where the PA designed it to be (as far as I can tell). Possibly due to being zipped/created long before DIM. Anyway I will try it with a few other products tomorrow and post back.

edited December 1969

On a general note, David and I don't pack our products with DIM in mind and QA doesn't change it. This is a deliberate decision on our side. Though, for example, OBPs belong to Presets/Objects but under that Objects folder, the user may have his/her own folders to organise stuff. I certainly have. I would hate to have content in the Installed folder because that one contains what Bryce comes with originally. I have currently 19 sub-folders, Installed is one of them. But there is no right or wrong, any one should organise the stuff in a way that it can be found.

edited April 2014

Well I installed several products and some install fine, others are a bit off needing tweeking. Usually they install to the "content" folder under presets instead of say preset/objects/nameofproduct. And thanks Horo for confirming. And I agree there are large advantages to packing them differently. In fact I just started using different folders for different object presets instead of just using the install folder. Still I have to wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to make a note somewhere (the content description perhaps?) that DIM is not the best way to install Bryce content (well it is for some, for others not as much), and perhaps give install suggestions?

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
    edited December 1969

@dbdigital2 - acknowledged. There should be a notice when we submit our next product.

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I suspect it's Win7 protecting the Program Files (x86) hierarchy, so that the files aren't really where they appear to be.

Yes agreed, more likely in C:\Programdata\ and not in program files.

• ger.coppleger.copple Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

Windows 6 and as I said previously C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7 And this is Bryce 7 so there shouldn't be a manual step. As far as I can tell this particular package (looked inside the original zip DIM downloaded) has everything set to install to the content folder so it may not be DIM's fault but the PA that designed the product. Also there are some templates included, but they could have been put in the content folder and the .obp file in the object presets. Another possibility is this product/package could be from way back before DIM.

Anyway not a big deal, I have a few more products to install and will see if they install properly with DIM. If not I can do it manually, it is not hard either way.

Post edited by ger.copple on