DIM always disconnects

DiscuszDiscusz Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am basically reinstalling all my daz stuff and I am using DIM, which i find cool BUT it will not stay connected for very long.. I can not select everything in my list to download. it will eventually logout. I can select 5 or 10 things and it works. but I have over 700 items i have purchased .

I would like to select all and forget and it it download everything and not have to babysit it, as that defeats the purpose of this no? LOL

anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

If it is disconnecting it has nothing to do with DIM and everything to do with how much data your provider can handle at a single connection. The DIM will when set to multi Downloads flags all files and attempts to Download as many files in a single stream as possible. If that causes a data overflow (buffering) and your provider fails to buffer or your cloud connection fails to buffer then you can lose the connection as all streams stop to allow the buffer to empty. A dead stream, during the buffer empty, from either end can close the files and end the session.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • winmathwinmath Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

My DIM never seems to attempt to download more than 2 files at a time. It still seems to disconnect a lot. Sometimes between single file downloads.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    edited December 1969

DIM was flaky about that time today (well, not DIM itself, but the DAZ-side servers); I connected, got my list of available downloads, clicked to select all, hit 'add to queue' -- and was told DIM had lost the connection to the store. 3 times in a row, just that fast. Fourth time and I got an hour's worth of downloads and lost contact again. Reconnected and finished.

• DiscuszDiscusz Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

it isnt my provider I download way bigger files with no issues, and DIM only downloads 2 at once and I am downloading about 1.5Mbit/s

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I just had it stop in the middle of downloading. It only downloaded 5 files out of 21, which isn't that many.

I've lost connections before, but usually because I had it open and idle for a while, but this is the first time it happened in the middle of downloading. I suspect the DAZ servers are to blame.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Isn't the connectivity also based on the DAZ website being stable? Cloudfare and the website going offline sporadically to fix things which are wrong, to do updates, etc. would also impact the DIM wouldn't it?

edited December 1969

Miss B- you and I were typing at the same time :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Discusz said:
    it isnt my provider I download way bigger files with no issues, and DIM only downloads 2 at once and I am downloading about 1.5Mbit/s

I just had the problem as well, and I download at 1.9Mb/s and it still stopped after only 5 files. I did get the other 16 files downloaded without a problem after closing and reopening DIM.
  • DiscuszDiscusz Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

its hit and miss I fire it up and dies on the 1st file. has to the daz download site it has taken me 3 days to get these files still have 80 to go i wanna start and forget about it

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,524
    edited December 1969

I had the same problem at that time. Most likely a DDOS attack on the CloudFlare network, DIM reported "socked failed" which means it lost connection to "the other side", where in this case "the other side" is a CloudFlare server near you.

The downside with internet is when someone is blackmailing someone else you will become collateral damage, but the good thing is it's just virtual.

edited April 2014

As no Time was specified I did not address time...

It is a bad idea to try to Download files form the DAZ 3D servers at or during the nightly Server updates. Those can start at any time form the DAZ 3D location midnight (US Mountain time) to 30 minutes after midnight. The length of time the server updates take depends on many factors. Items changing in the store from on sale to off, items getting added to the store, the amount of store traffic during the day and other factors such as new code updates being installed.

Of course the DAZ 3D servers do need to be up and running as well for connections to work, that is a given. It also helps if the Cloud servers are up and running, that is out of DAZ 3D's hand the Cloud is a service that DAZ 3D uses, if any of its servers, the Cloud, are having issues from your location to DAZ 3D's cloud server connection, there can be many swaps from your point to DAZ 3D, you can also get a bad connection at those times.

This is only information from me trying explain how things can happen. I also suffer from bad connections during certain times and also have the Cloud drop between my location and DAZ 3D from time to time. I have often been in other live chat rooms when I can not get to DAZ 3D and others have no issues what so ever. None of this will help you have a better connection to DAZ 3D, but the same applies to me as well. If I can not connect something is happening at some point, there really is no way to say in today's world one thing caused it unless it is DAZ 3D going off line for all users at one time. That can be pin pointed but mostly we only know that happened after the fact.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

DIM has been unstable since its last update, it disconnects me all the time its a real pain, sometimes it won't download any files, open it up and then it says its lost connection.
    Others have reported this as well, time has nothing to do with it I've only had problems since they updated the DIM.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    edited December 1969

DIM has been unstable since its last update, it disconnects me all the time its a real pain, sometimes it won't download any files, open it up and then it says its lost connection.

Wonder why it can't reconnect and continue from where it left. Shouldn't be that difficult to make it do that.

I'm scanning the product pages (currently over 13800) in the store once a week with a program I've written, takes about 6-8 hours. Done this for many months and there has only been one time where the scan failed to complete because of severe server problems. Usually there are a few errors (short timeouts etc.) but these are easily handled by the program.

edited December 1969

Taozen, you're a genius (IMO) so why don't you write us a DWQ script. ("DAZ WON'T QUIT")
    :)

edited December 1969

Others have reported this as well, time has nothing to do with it I've only had problems since they updated the DIM.
    The only solution to DIM software errors on a system is to Report the errors in a ticket. And having other people with the same issue to do the same. Enough reports from a base of users is the way to have software issues addressed. The recent TDLmake issue is just such an example. Not all users see the error but enough users that did have the error reported it. It has been addressed as posted in the Public Change log. If the software error is only effecting a small group of users and only one reports it that often can not be reproduced on the limited information supplied to tech support. The more users that have the error and report the error with the info needed, system spec's and OS for example, the better the chance such an error can be traced down and corrected.

Posting to the live User forums that a user is having a issue is not going to get the error addressed. The Forums are Run by users for the Users. They are not read fully or often by the staff of the DAZ 3D offices. That is the very reason for the Ticket system. So that issues get reported to those that can do something about the issues. And so that they can be notified of the issue in a ticket Report.
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Taozen, you're a genius (IMO) so why don't you write us a DWQ script. ("DAZ WON'T QUIT")
    :)

Mmm, I don't think I'm more of a genius than most other programmers, I just try to do anything I can to make my programs work as efficiently and flawlessly as possible, before I release them. I don't like to waste people's time with bug reports etc.. :)

DIM is a great program and the DAZ programmers are pretty good at their job IMO, that's why I don't understand why they don't add this reconnection feature. Maybe they will at some point, who knows, they may have their priorities. I don't think there's anything I can do about it though without having access to the DIM code, unfortunately.