attaching Shader to new Morph

OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

How do I assign or attach a shader domain to a new morph. I want to do a new morph on a mesh then give a new shader. Is this possible?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Shading domains are independent of morphs, however you can select the plys that you wish to morph and assign a new shading domain to those polys. The shading domain will remain even if the morph is not activated. Soft select can help with morphs by having the influence fall-off the further away it gets from the point or poly selected, but shading domains are absolute polys with no fall-off. They're either 100% part of the shading domain or not.

To add a shading domain, open the model in the VM.

Select the area of the mesh that you wish to have a new domain.

Select the Global tab on the right side of the screen.

Select Add. I dialogue will open asking if you want to make the selected area a new shading domain. Click yes.

Your new domain will appear at the bottom of the domain list. To change the name, enter your desired name in the field below the list and hit return.

Picture_3.png
    244 x 420 - 34K
    Picture_2.png
    410 x 105 - 9K
    Picture_4.png
    626 x 477 - 132K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

How do I assign or attach a shader domain to a new morph. I want to do a new morph on a mesh then give a new shader. Is this possible?

As Evil producer mentions,. the two things are completely different.

a morph is an adjustment to some polygons in the model.
    A shading domain is an area of polygons which will have a specific colour or texture applied to that area.

for example:
    Victoria will have a "shading domain" for the Head,.
    but there could be many different "morphs" included in the head to allow you to change the shape of that head.

If you can explain a bit more about the effect you want to create, then perhaps we can help you.

:)

• OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited April 2014

I want to create devil horns on V4. I can make the horn OK but I would like to give them a different texture/shader than I'm using on V4 head-face.
    I tried the suggestions so far. I created the new shader but no dialogue box opened.

Post edited by Oldminer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Most content is protected from some things, but you can assign new shading domains.

Select the polygons (I don't think it works on vertices or edges alone) you want to add the new domain for. In my example, I only made one, quick horn for illustration. You could apply a new domain for each, or both together as a single domain.

1 - Once you select the polygons for the new domain, go to the right panel, half way down, and go to the global tab

2 - Click the "Add" button to add a new shading domain

3 - The dialog will ask if you would like to apply this new domain to the current select. Say Yes.

Then just give your new domain a clever new name, like Horn L or Horns.

V4-NewDomain.jpg
    1679 x 813 - 837K
    edited December 1969

To find the new domain, go to the Texture room, while the 'model' line of V4 is selected.

Scroll down the list on the right to find your new domain. Click the drop-down of that domain and select "New Master Shader" or the shader you've already made, if you've made one.

edited December 1969

I think the easiest way to approach this is to do what's already been done,. ..Make a set of V4 horns.

V4 already has a set of Horn morphs, and a set of "Prop" Horns of different shapes and sizes, which fit to those morphs
    Buying a pre-made product like that will save you a load of time.

The reason that the "Product" was built with Horn "props" is that the resolution on the head isn't great enough to support the detail and texturing required to produce something that looks good enough,.

There's nothing stopping you from making a little set of horns in the vertex modeller, and parenting them to V4's head.

that will be easier than trying to make a small area of polygons hold the high detail you'd want in a full set of horns.

Hope it helps :)

• OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

Thanks all! I tried to make my own but things don't always work right. I went through all the steps above but never got a dialog asking if I wanted to apply new domain to current selection. I guess I'll go the easy way and purchase what I need.

edited April 2014

HI Eugene :)

You can Make a set of horns,. in Carrara. (pic 1)

Then you simply "Parent" those horns to V4's head,. By dragging the horns in the Scene instance List, and dropping them onto V4's head in the instance list (pic 2)

Horns_2.jpg
    1680 x 996 - 274K
    Horns_1.png
    1680 x 991 - 407K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

EUGENEWD said:
    Thanks all! I tried to make my own but things don't always work right. I went through all the steps above but never got a dialog asking if I wanted to apply new domain to current selection. I guess I'll go the easy way and purchase what I need.
    That's strange. Is it possible that I'm using Pro, and you're using Standard, perhaps?
    I must say... I like 3gage's advice. But you should still be able to add a new domain. I'm officially bewildered.
    edited December 1969

There is another way to create a shading domain in the vertex modeller,.
    But,... either way, this should be working. ...whether it's Carrara Standard, or Pro.

When you have the model in the Vertex modeller,..
    Select some polygons on the model.
    Go to the Right hand side panels, and look for the area that says "Shading Domain"
    in that area,. you'll see a blue button which shows the Current shading domain on the polygons you've selected.

Click that button, and it'll pop out a menu,. where you can create a "New Shading Domain"

You'll then get a little pop up area where you can "Name" that shading domain,.. EG: horns.

pic

shading_domain.jpg
    1680 x 1021 - 313K