Texture/Mat problems

sorakunosorakuno Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in New Users

Okay, so I've been trying to build a simple scene but i keep running into an issue with the materials displaying properly. The scene at first would not save upon completion, I would select "save as">"scene" like usual, but the window that asks me to name the file would never show up It wasn't just like it was taking a long time, as soon as I select the cursor instead of showing the wait icon would return to the normal pointer shape and I was able to make selections.
So I decided to save step by step, but now when i load the scenes, the skin and clothing materials are messed up, even just the basic material, providing it has multiple options. Even when I remove the Item and re-select it, the base material is messed up. This is now happening every time I load that scene. Could anyone who's had this problem give me a solution that doesn't require me building the scene over from scratch?

I know my computer is old (about 5 years) so it's slowing down and the components are outdated. I'm saving up for upgraded components but in the mean time i'd like to at least get this scene working. Thank you.

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2014

Sounds like a case of 'Fury Unleashed' mixed with a touch of 'Industrial Mayhem' going on inside that computer.

In all seriousness. If your not sure what your doing inside the computer, ask someone that knows to look at it, don't kill the thing with static before it has a chance for a longer life.

Just guessing, as I don't know how you keep up the cleaning and maintenance of your computer.

I notice similar stuff start to happen just before something really bad happens (Dead Powersupply/CPU-fan/Motherboard/Hard-drive/video-card/etc). music players and browsers don't usually tax a computers guts like 3D stuff dose (AutoCad/Games/BOINC/Etc), and well aging guts is noticed with demanding stuff first.

Power supplies are usually only good for three to seven years depending on use (Something to do with the "Electrolytic Capacitors" in them), Also dist buildup in heat sinks can also cause problems like that (and if not dealt with kill stuff).

Also if a driver somehow got corrupted, tho if it was a driver you'll Probably notice it with almost everything that uses that part of the computer (Sound card/Video card/etc).

Then again it may be lack of memory for the scene, or corrupted Daz3D file somewhere?

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,594
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using and 32 or 64 bit, and is they materials messed up in render or only in the viewport?
    How much RAM do you have and video RAM?
    Under preferences you can tune the display settings, try that.
    Last question, are you using DAZ Studio materials or is that Poser materials?

• sorakunosorakuno Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    What version of DAZ Studio are you using and 32 or 64 bit, and is they materials messed up in render or only in the viewport?
    How much RAM do you have and video RAM?
    Under preferences you can tune the display settings, try that.
    Last question, are you using DAZ Studio materials or is that Poser materials?

32 bit, since that's my processor type.
    70.3 Ram (IDK about video)
    Scene only, but before i stated saving step by step it wouldn't render at all.
    DAZ
    edited December 1969

With 3GB RAM and 32 bit you might load 3 figures, maximum before you run out of memory. Of you have an integrated videocard it will use RAM even for video memory, tolling the available RAM down even more.

Did you check under preferences interface for optimization settings. Trashed textures most likely indicated either that the videocard is to weak or you run out of texture memory, or both.

Have you checked Help Menu -> Troubleshooting -> About Videoard, what does it say? Post a screen shot here, might be that.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2014

Also I found out from trial and error, that there is a memory spike that happens when a scene is loaded (The second bigger one in the attached pic). When the spike goes beyond some threshold of sorts, things don't load properly.

I have yet to figure out what effects the severity of the memory spike, as it appears to be different intensities each time I load the same exact scene. added second pic with labels.

SceneLoadingRamSpike101marked1002.PNG
    523 x 708 - 24K
    SceneLoadingRamSpike101.png
    523 x 708 - 12K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Those spikes are most likely tldmake preparing the loaded images for rendering.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Also, if your computer is 5 years old, it's more than likely a Dual Core. My laptop is just over 2 years old, and I have had times when rendering, especially when AO lighting is involved, when I'll get an alert popup saying at least one full core is being used. Fortunately this is a fully hyper-threaded quad core, so even though I only have 8GB Ram and an integrated video, the hyper-threaded quad core makes a huge difference in allowing me to render scenes that push the limits somewhat.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

sorakuno said:
    32 bit, since that's my processor type.
    70.3 Ram (IDK about video)
    Scene only, but before i stated saving step by step it wouldn't render at all.
    DAZ
    70.3 RAM...? Not sure whether that's Gb or Mb, but if it's the latter you have a serious issue. If it's Gb then you're packing more RAM than your system can manage. 32-bit systems can only address around 4Gb of memory, which makes them severely limiting for modern 3D Work.

To be honest, the issues you describe do in fact sound like memory problems. People have encountered similar issues, and I have done so myself when attempting to use a lesser computer to assist my rendering. It might be worthwhile posting your full system spec here, including how much installed RAM you have, what processor you have (specifically) and your graphics card.

This information will all be displayed under 'System Properties' If you're using XP or similar or simply 'System' if you're using Windows Vista or higher.