Simplest software to create simple 3d objects

ejbejb Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Could anyone advise me on the simplest method/software to create simple 3d objects for Daz. I need to create fairly simple objects like a golf club or baseball bat.

Something with a fairly easy learning curve.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

How simple are we talking? If you want REALLY simple, you can simply use Daz's primitives and in-built tools such as DFormers to create a variety of simple, and even more intricate props. They won't be well optimized, and nor will they be properly UV mapped, but it's more than passable.

Otherwise you might want to look at software such as Blender or Hexagon for getting your feet wet with 'proper' 3D mesh modeling.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,882
    edited December 1969

I haven't tried but some save Curves is easy to begin with, but most 3D programs are overwhelming when you open them for the first time.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

Even though I've been a Blender user for quite a few years, for a beginner, I would recommend Wings3D.

The interface is pretty easy to work with compared to some others. It's how I started, and if you use a mouse, it works well. I use a pen and tablet, so I find it a little too mouse-centric with some actions, but I was able to easily create a dog house from an easy to follow tutorial.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited April 2014

If you like modeling like play dough, you will love the 100% free Sculptrix ( http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ ) from the brilliant makers of ZBRush. It realy does not get easier.

For a bat and club, "lathe" curve rotation like Curvy 3d

You cant beat the speed and performance Moment of Inspiration offers /moi3d.com its a fantastic NURBS curve modeling tool but expensive at 300usd

Of course there is the very capable Hexagon modeler which is very affordable also easy to use.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • Keith-jonesKeith-jones Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Moi3d is the easiest modeling program I have used. It reputedly produces very nice results with many rendering programmes and even allows assigning UV map groups while making the model but it does not seem to work very well with Daz Studio or Carrara because of the way that the Daz products handle smoothing, which is disappointing.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Avoid programs with 'curve', 'sculpt' or similar in their names, these often create models with horrible topology. Like Miss B I started with Wings and only moved to Blender because at the time the UV mapping in Wings was quite poor, so I also recommend getting Wings.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

most 3D programs are overwhelming when you open them for the first time

I have to agree with Totte here. I have used or at least dabbled with, Wings3D, Sculptris, Hexagon, Carrara, Silo, and Blender (and a few others as well), and while some may be less confusing or more intuitive than others, that is entirely a subjective thing. In other words, it depends on what you as an individual find easy or intuitive. What works for one person may not for another. But they are all going to seem daunting at first, until you invest the time necessary to learn the program. It is not reasonable to expect that you are going to be able to open one of these modelling programs for the first time and produce a credible model of anything without putting in some time and effort. That has been my experience with all of them. On that note, my advice would be to pick one, based upon the recommendations you have had, then go at it with the expectation that it will take awhile to learn the interface and tools, and stick with it. Later, you can try others to see if you like them better. But do not run from one to another starting out in the hopes that you will find that one modeller with a "make model" button. They don't exist.

• edited December 1969

If you haven't decided what to get yet, you may want to check out clara.io

It's a browser based modeling program that does in mapping and all tgat. I used for a while before 3ds max

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Moi3d is the easiest modeling program I have used. It reputedly produces very nice results with many rendering programmes and even allows assigning UV map groups while making the model but it does not seem to work very well with Daz Studio or Carrara because of the way that the Daz products handle smoothing, which is disappointing.

If importing to Carrara from Moi, you can import the .3dm file directly (Carrara pro) which retains surface normals. Or, import the .obj file as a "Facet mesh" which will maintain custom normals.

As for DS, I have not looked at importing custom normals.