How to delete multiple polygon sections of an obj model

acomlayacomlay Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello all,

I am working with Carrara Pro 7. I am experimenting with a obj model of a Lamborghini and what I am trying to achieve is delete each of the 4 wheels and tyres in order to import my own previously modeled wheels to replace with.

Problem is due to the model being and imported obj file, it is effectively one part, only separated by individual; polygons. What I would like to know is, is there an easy way to delete these wheels without painstakingly deleting the hundreds of polygons??

Many thanks,

Ali.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Carrara forum, as it is not a DS question.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited April 2014

you can try importing it rather than opening
    you will get a dialogue giving you options of seperate mesh groups fot shading domains etc
    also sometimes split object under edit works
    or in vertex room select by surface groups and delete.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • acomlayacomlay Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the input, I will give them a try!

I did manage to find a bearable way of using the 'grow selection' tool to select small sized groups in one go, and then deleting those......still took too long though.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

As Wendy mentioned,. when you're in the Vertex Modeller,. you should be able to select any part of the object,. either by Name of the part, or by the Shading domain for that part.

You should also be able to select the Model, in the Assembly room (not in the vertex modeller) and then select the Shader, for the parts you don't want,..Edit the shader,. then you can change the Alpha channel in those shaders,. to make those parts "invisible"

That way you won't destroy your original model,. and you can add your own wheels.