Convert *.max to obj without the original software

ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I purchased an item in *.max format (my bad, I read 3ds and didn't recognize it is *.max). Is there by any chance a way to convert such a file into *.obj or something that could be imported/opened by Hexagon, Silo, Blender, Daz Studio, Carrara or Poser?

I found a tool named "3D Exploration" from Right Hemisphere Inc. (V 1.833), but this doesn't import the modell correct. The program is from 2001and I could not find the current homepage of the vendor of this piece of Software.

Any hint is wellcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Due to it's proprietary nature, none of the apps you listed will convert the model to obj. I believe Gmax which was a scaled back version of 3dsMax could open the mesh but it's been so long since I used Gmax, I don't remember if it could convert to obj format. You would have to google Gmax as it's been years since I've even seen a copy of Gmax.

You could try downloading the the 30 day eval copy of Max. It may or may not allow you to convert and export mesh in another format.

Another app to check out is Deep Exploration by Right Hemisphere. However, it has been sometime since RH has done anything with their software and it may even be off the market by now.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

AutoDesk changed the native format of 3DS files from .3ds (which a lot of other modelling apps CAN open) to the .max format because they didn't want folks doing exactly what you want to do. I guess they're more interested in folks spending tons of money on their software products.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871
    edited December 1969

if you bought it from Turbosquid they will do a free conversion to format of your choice for you.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Due to it's proprietary nature, none of the apps you listed will convert the model to obj. I believe Gmax which was a scaled back version of 3dsMax could open the mesh but it's been so long since I used Gmax, I don't remember if it could convert to obj format. You would have to google Gmax as it's been years since I've even seen a copy of Gmax.

You could try downloading the the 30 day eval copy of Max. It may or may not allow you to convert and export mesh in another format.

Another app to check out is Deep Exploration by Right Hemisphere. However, it has been sometime since RH has done anything with their software and it may even be off the market by now.

it does, I did a heap of things in those 30 days! :-P%-P:P:coolsmile:
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,162
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    AutoDesk changed the native format of 3DS files from .3ds (which a lot of other modelling apps CAN open) to the .max format because they didn't want folks doing exactly what you want to do. I guess they're more interested in folks spending tons of money on their software products.

huh?...never heard of such a thing .3ds is a very old format which doesn't contain half the things a .max file can contain

.max can contain everything you can do in max.,Light settings,render engine settings,cameras,particles,mesh,modifiers,animation,rigging etc etc,I think whoever told you it was changed to make more money was pulling your leg.and .max is free from the limitations of .3ds(of which there are many,which is why we use .obj)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.3ds

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The MAX is to 3D Studio what DUF is to Daz Studio, it's the format used for project saves in 3D Studio Max. As a result, it contains information besides the model itself, as noted by Stonemason above. The MAX format has been around ever since the very early days of 3DS Max. The 3DS format was designed as an export format so that you could use 3D Studio meshes in other applications, or even games. I used to use it extensively for my own games projects in the earlier days.

To convert a MAX file you would need a copy of 3D Studio Max itself, or at least access to it. Once loaded you can export the file into any of the more widely used formats, including OBJ which can be imported by Daz Studio. Unfortunately, the MAX format has evolved since the early days, so older versions of 3DS Max might not be able to load in all of the modifiers being used by newer save files. It very much depends on the file itself.

My version of Max is very old, since I'm nowhere near wealthy enough to fork over $4000 for a copy of the latest version. It serves my purposes well though, since I can still load the majority of MAX files without issue.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

if you bought it from Turbosquid they will do a free conversion to format of your choice for you.

Special thanks for this tip ;-)
    I requested a conversion and wait for the results now.