Rendering Reflections (Mirrors)

CostelloCostello Posts: 97
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am doing a rendering involving two opposing mirrors in DS and am trying to get an "infinite" series of reflections, but the number of light bounces stop after four reflection iterations (and one of them is strangely lit very differently from the others).

I have looked at parameters settings for the mirrors, cameras and various lights in the scene but am not sure as to which of them (and what setting) is the most important one for getting the infinite reflections needed.

Any assistance would be appreciated, either in direct advice or in pointing me to a good tutorial on the subject.

Thanks.

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

The max. ray trace depth is the upper limit. Try maximising that.

Its actually there to stop infinite loops! :-)

maxray.jpg
    510 x 654 - 67K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The problem with infinity is it goes on forever... as would your renders if you were genuinely able to render an infinite number of reflections. Be very careful what you wish for in the 3D world...

• CostelloCostello Posts: 97
    edited April 2014

Thanks very much, guys. I changed the Max Ray Trace Depth and it worked like a charm. I definitely didn't want "real infinite" but for rendering purposes I wanted more depth than I was getting. Thanks again.

Post edited by Costello on