I'm struggling to understand this

TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/awesome-eyes

This set of 3D eye styles contains 18 realistic iris textures and 14 fantasy iris textures. You will also find 7 sclera options, and 4 eye reflections. These eye textures were optimized for Genesis 2 Female but will also work perfectly with the Genesis 2 Male figures.

Notes
Compatible 3D Figures Genesis 2 Female

It works equally as well on G2M, but it's only marketed and labeled for G2F?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited April 2014

Nevermind, misread

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

This set of 3D eye styles contains 18 realistic iris textures and 14 fantasy iris textures. You will also find 7 sclera options, and 4 eye reflections. These eye textures were optimized for Genesis 2 Female but will also work perfectly with the Genesis 2 Male figures.

Notes

It was designed using G2F, I presume. I guess this has to do with marketing.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

Notes

Eye material zones haven't changed in ages, have they? I'm perfectly able to use genesis eyes on both G2M and G2F, so I just ignore what generation the product is "for."

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The G2F and G2M use the same base mesh. This would mean that basics like eyes would use the same uv's and textures. The original Stephanie from Generation 1 was created from Micheal 1's mesh. It used the same UV mapping. Steph Petite 3 and David 3 were another set. So much so that you could inject D3 morphs into Steph 3.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    TimG said:

Notes

It was designed using G2F, I presume. I guess this has to do with marketing.

That's what's weird. Men don't have eyes? If you had a male character in an image, you don't want him to have nice eyes?

edited April 2014

Probably just an accident. I'm struggling to understand the issue here. I suppose if you were uninitiated you wouldn't know that you can use them on G2M. But, then again, they do specifically state that you can.

There is only one solution: It's an anti-male agenda. We don't need men with eyes in the 21st century.

Post edited by Testing6790 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    edited December 1969

Probably just an accident. I'm struggling to understand the issue here. I suppose if you were uninitiated you wouldn't know that you can use them on G2M. But, then again, they do specifically state that you can.

There is only one solution: It's an anti-male agenda. We don't need men with eyes in the 21st century.

You can use them, so why not encourage it? If one filters on content for G2M, this product won't show.

edited December 1969

Yeah I'm just goofing around. I vote for accident. There's literally no good reason not to have as many relevant tags as possible. Submit a bug!

edited December 1969

Ok, it's a PC product which means it's a buy out. The G2F was released in May of last year and G2M in October. It's likely the product was created by the original vendor Forbidden Whispers when the G2F was out but the G2M wasn't. DAZ bought the product but waited until whenever before they released it. DAZ probably didn't see any reason to change the name.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

side note - the Mermaid for g2f is also updated for g2m :)

there's some confusion with gn1 gn2 textures these days, cuz of all the uv sets. is it M6 only, g2m base, etc. the product page doesn't always say which uv set it is.

edited December 1969

Does the update for the Mermaid give the male the G2M default M5 UV or is it still the default V5 uv?

G2F uses V5's uv by default and the G2M uses the M5 uv by default. G2M does not use M6 by default. The M6 uv is for the M6 figure morph.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited April 2014

icprncss said:
    Does the update for the Mermaid give the male the G2M default M5 UV or is it still the default V5 uv?

G2F uses V5's uv by default and the G2M uses the M5 uv by default. G2M does not use M6 by default. The M6 uv is for the M6 figure morph.

The mermaid has no body textures and has no effect on character texture. The tail and its pieces are their own UV different from either G2 body, and which is not changed for gendered fitting. I left the G2F name because that's what it was for originally.

When I do unisex stuff for G2 that I know is unisex to begin with, it will be generally labeled G2 (Tied Up! for Genesis 2 is one).

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Speaking of Awesome Eyes, has anyone at DAZ realised it never appeared in New Releases? I've seen it mentioned in this thread, and it does appear in the PC store category (which I almost never look at), but nowhere else.

Can't sell something if you don't tell anyone it's on sale...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think the Genesis 2 Female tag is so users will know which folder the content will default to for application, read as applying, reasons. The info as noted does state they work perfectly well on the males. I agree that the Metadata was probably already created for just the Female auto link (Smart use) and that was never updated to include the males. Which could be done, either by DAZ 3D or us users on our own for our content.

As for not showing in New Releases that one should be reported.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited April 2014

I just edit my own metadata for products which are compatible with both figures so that they'll show up regardless of which one I have selected. I've also done the same for the majority of my Genesis content so I can dress up the newer figures via autofit. It's fairly simple to do, and since this item works on both male and female figures, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

The UV's for eyes hasn't changed much over the years. Some very minor changes here and there, but considering I'm still able to use K4 maps on Genesis 2 without any conversions being required speaks volumes. The only part it seems to affect is the very edge of the eye which would only be visible if their eyes rolled so far back into their own skull they could see their own brain...

Post edited by Herald of Fire on