Prepper (PC) questions

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Could someone please help me understand this application better.

Jack, are you there?

So do I actually need this app to change obj files to Poser files?
I thought obj files can be used in Poser and Ds?

And it will not work in Windows 8?

Yes, I have much to learn.
Sincere thanks.
R

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,466
    edited December 1969

yes obj files can be used in Poser. do you have a link to the product so we can see if it comes with DS and Poser mats?

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

No Frank, Prepper is a software package  --> http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Prepper There's a Mac version as well. This isn't one of Jack's wonderful environment/prop sets.

I think you need to point Jack over here so he can respond to the OP's question(s).

In the meantime, yes OBJs can be "imported" into DS and Poser. The CR2s, however, can be installed into the appropriate Runtime Libraries folder, and can, in turn, access the OBJ which would be in the Runtime Geometries folder. The CR2s help you to load an obj AND the default textures all with one double-click. If you imported an OBJ into DS or Poser, you would then have to manually set the textures for it.

Hope that helps some.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Jack, are you there?

Sincere thanks.
    R

This product will allow you to take a mesh you have created in a modeller and make it easier to create the cr2 or figure (think rigged) file for use in Poser and DS.

It eliminates some of the more tedious steps that one were needed to get from obj to cr2. If you are creating conforming clothing and hair with this the cr2 does require a certain amount of editing.

Yes, wavefront obj is the mesh format both Poser and DS use. This doesn't alter or change the obj file it just prepares it. Hence the name Prepper.

Unless you are creating cr2's from your own mesh files, no you don't need this product. It is one of those helper apps that makes getting from point a to point b easier.

I don't know about Win8. Win 7 was just out when this was released so that's the last listed OS for the Win version. DAZ does have the return 30 day return guarantee (although if you are using your MM coupon on it, double check before you do as I don't remember if MM coupons carry the "...if you buy it with this you can't return it..." caveat of some other promos).

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,159
    edited December 1969

Jack, are you there?

Sincere thanks.
    R

Hey,

It's a tool I use personally, you don't really need it for just run of the mill stuff tbh.. also, it's limited in what it can do, clothing and hair etc isn't really supported.

It came out before Win8, but I can't see why it wouldn't work - it's just .net stuff.

Hope that helps :)

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Thank you, everyone.

R